need advice

Notices

need advice

Old 02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 40 Likes on 8 Posts
Default need advice

Two months ago my father and I bought Bob Torters 1990 42 revolution. We are going thought the boat front to back, new paint, everything! The boat has twin staggered 700hp or 750hp Donovans with #6s. The motors run good, Bob said that the boat ran 82mph. We have the motors to our motor guy and he thinks we should go with dart blocks. He thinks that cast blocks would be better than the aluminum Donovans for the boat. We know he builds good motors, he built us 1000hp for our Active Thunder. But we also know that Donovans are good motors. So what should we do, Donovan blocks or the Dart blocks? Thanks Heath
Old 02-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need advice

im redoing a 1990 revolution as well with new red gelcoat, interior ,gauges , drive t/a's, drives redone, and rebuilding triple 640hp hawks, do u have any photos of your boat? id think there'd be cheaper performance upgrades that would get more hp than switching out blocks. i'd wait for an expert to put their $.02 in cause im prob not the one to ask
Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bshzba
Bob Torter
Well there's a blast from the past. I've seen his old boat. I have the magazine article it was featured in. The original "Hard Candy."
Old 02-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails need advice-mvc-023s.jpg   need advice-mvc-024s.jpg  
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW- The Dart blocks are the current favorite. The Donovans are aluminum? You need to use a closed cooling system for those for longevity thereby losing some of the benefits w/ extra weight.

Wannabe
Old 02-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would depend on the water conditions, for us on the Gulf, I would consider cast iron,but you may run in fresh H2Omight not be as bad. Lets remember that it is the oxidation that causes the trouble. I have seen alot of aluminum intakes come thru the door with very little corrosion seen alot that did have usually it was the issue of not flushing good then air gets n the system. Being that one Donivan is worth what two Darts are worth , you could trade someone or sell them with little problem. my 2 cents
Old 02-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Registered

great boat, looks like an awesome project, r ya beefing up the engines any? im jsut gettin the transoms and engines in mine and hope to go for a test run this weekend althought the interior/seats in thre cabin and cockpit has all been pulled out for redoing and half the gauges dont even work, hey mayb i can pick up a few mph
Old 02-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The motors will probably stay at the 700hp to 800hp. Its been a fun project so for. We have the cabin pretty much done. The cockpit is getting paint this week, gauges and dash panels should be here next week. And thanks for all the input. I talked to the engine builder and he said he would trade us even up and help us out on some labor. Trading the donovan blocks for new darts. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Registered

did u make new panels, or repaint them? if so how did u label the switches at the top of the drivers side panel?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We painted them. It was a lot cheaper. Livorsi will make you new ones but it will cost you a couple G's. So we had them painted and then sent then to Eddie Marine to laser in the words. I'll let you know how they turn out when I get them back.

Quick Reply: need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.