Notices

wild turkey

Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: wild turkey

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
Trip,
I bought "White Knight" a few years ago after finding it sitting (rotting) in a field in Heights Town NJ. I gutted the boat but lost interest in it. I sold it to a guy in Seattle Washington, he should have it completed next year. This boat had some unique history, this was the boat that hit a low flying heilocopter in a California race when it was "Maltese Magnum". It was later owned by Billy Martin from Bounty Hunter fame. I asked Bill about this boat at the Cambridge Md. race 3 weeks ago. This boat started off as a single engine hull, and was later converted to twin small blocks. When I stripped the inside of the transom, you could see where the 'patch' was covering the single drive.
Some really interesting information Robert! I remember Billy Martin raced a Bounty Hunter that was a single engine Magnum. He was very successful with it. Is that the same boat? He also had a larger open class Magnum for a couple of years before switching over to Cigarettes.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

This is the Magnum that Billy raced that was formerly owned by Don Aronow. It was 27 foot and a single engine boat.

www.historicraceboats.com
Attached Thumbnails wild turkey-horba95060018-small-.jpg  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
This is the Magnum that Billy raced that was formerly owned by Don Aronow. It was 27 foot and a single engine boat.

www.historicraceboats.com
That's the one I remember, but I had forgotten it was called "Hustler". Is that the same boat that became "White Knight"?
Do you recall the larger Magnum that Billy Martin raced in the open class? He didn't have as much success with it against the Cigarettes and eventually switched over.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not the same boat that became White Knight. The 28 Maltese Magnum was considered a "high deck" hull (deep freeboard). There is a great black & white picture of this boat in Michael Aronow's book "Thunderboat Row".
Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrippM
Some really interesting information Robert! I remember Billy Martin raced a Bounty Hunter that was a single engine Magnum. He was very successful with it. Is that the same boat? He also had a larger open class Magnum for a couple of years before switching over to Cigarettes.
And here the larger Magnums:
Hustler IV and Hustler V,33' Magnum with a couple of MerCruiser that Martin used in 1971-72 APBA seasons.
There was an Hustler III probably. Anyone have a picture of it?

Old 10-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TrippM
That's the one I remember, but I had forgotten it was called "Hustler". Is that the same boat that became "White Knight"?
Do you recall the larger Magnum that Billy Martin raced in the open class? He didn't have as much success with it against the Cigarettes and eventually switched over.
Look the difference:

That Magnum 28' of Robert I think is like this one. There was three type of this 28': double engine onboard,single emgine onboard and with outboards.

Magnum 28' double engines
Then there was another,less famous and less builded,(maybe only one) with single engine onboard and the cockpit on tandem and one feet less.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 10-13-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered

That difference between 27' and 28' in the freeboards and decks it's better visible in this two pics.

Magnum 27'

Magnum28' in outboards version.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Black Tornado is right. The first picture in post 27 is the one (or sister) of White Knight.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions about the various Magnums. Very impressive level of knowledge, and in many cases first hand experience.

Sorry to have taken the thread off on a tangent. I'll have to keep an eye out for Wild Turkey if it's still in the shore area.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello

Back in 1976 Billy gave me a photo of his 27 single engine Magnum that he raced, it was taken during the 1970 Miami race, it was a dark purple. I also had a 27 Sport that was purple , so Billy thought that mine was his and it was redone with twin SBC. Turned out it wasn't mine was 1973 Sport
not sure where it may be now was sold to a woman in Jersey in 1982 or 83. Was called Plum Crazy (M51)
was called Sea Wraith (P51) when I raced in 1976

Here is Billy's Magnum
Sorry for the photo being so small
Will work on getting larger
Thank you
Jim

Jim
Attached Thumbnails wild turkey-billymartin1970a-.jpg  

Last edited by dammmagnum; 10-13-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: wild turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.