Notices

Betty Cook?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Betty Cook?

What's her story?......what did she do for a living?......was KAAMA her company?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Betty Cook?

Betty was a latecomer to boating in general, much less racing. She and her husband Paul became involved with offshore racing back in the 70's and hired Don Pruett who along with John Connor helped them develop the various raceboats they ran.

The old ZIPPE cat was purchased by Paul and Run as KUDU. Betty had an old Bertram, Mongoose, and she made it into a patrol boat to help out at the races. She ran the boat in a small local event and ...WON..that was it, she was hooked.

KAAMA was her company, she ran it as her racing company and that was what she did for a living. She and Paul were wealthy in their own right from his involvement in plastics early on.
Attached Thumbnails Betty Cook?-betty.jpg  
Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in '77, I saw an article about Betty in Sports Illustrated. That was the first time I had seen much at all about offshore racing and it servesd as the spark that got me going in the sport several years later.

I just found a copy of that Sports Illustrated from an online vintage magazine dealer.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Betty was a latecomer to boating in general, much less racing. She and her husband Paul became involved with offshore racing back in the 70's and hired Don Pruett who along with John Connor helped them develop the various raceboats they ran.

The old ZIPPE cat was purchased by Paul and Run as KUDU. Betty had an old Bertram, Mongoose, and she made it into a patrol boat to help out at the races. She ran the boat in a small local event and ...WON..that was it, she was hooked.

KAAMA was her company, she ran it as her racing company and that was what she did for a living. She and Paul were wealthy in their own right from his involvement in plastics early on.
cool pic charlie
Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered

Is she still 'with us'?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 24degrees
Is she still 'with us'?
Betty passed in 1990 at age 67.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Betty Cook was a two time winner of the Sam Griffith Tropy which I created in 1964. She won it in 1977 and 1979. She alos was the three time winner of the APBA's national open class title in 1978. 1979, and 1981. Honor graduate of MIT with her husband Paul, she won 17 major offshore races which at the time of my publishing my book SEARACE in 1989, placed her 17th in the world. She was the first woman to win an open class in motorsports in history! I am working on the sequence to my book SEARACE...The History of Offshore Powerboat Racing, to be titled SEARACE...The Legends, Etc.

John Crouse Publications
Texjoc@aol,com
1 352-344-1528
The following users liked this post:
David J. Keogh (09-05-2022)
Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCrouse
Betty Cook was a two time winner of the Sam Griffith Tropy which I created in 1964. She won it in 1977 and 1979. She alos was the three time winner of the APBA's national open class title in 1978. 1979, and 1981. Honor graduate of MIT with her husband Paul, she won 17 major offshore races which at the time of my publishing my book SEARACE in 1989, placed her 17th in the world. She was the first woman to win an open class in motorsports in history! I am working on the sequence to my book SEARACE...The History of Offshore Powerboat Racing, to be titled SEARACE...The Legends, Etc.

John Crouse Publications
Texjoc@aol,com
1 352-344-1528
Folks this is THE authority on the history of offshore. So nice to hear from you John. By the way folks, John still has a few brand new copies of his first book SEARACE still available for purchase.

Just click on the HORBA website and go to links....there is a link to John there and a nice explanation about the book SEARACE. It would make a nice Christmas present and a nice warmup while we all await his new book coming out soon.

www.historicraceboats.com
Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCrouse

John Crouse Publications
Texjoc@aol,com
1 352-344-1528
hi john, its great to see you post here on oso. i cherish my autograhed book of searace...its the offshore koran! cant wait til your next book is available. put me down for one as soon as they are printed. take care and welcome aboard! btw great first post. rm
Old 10-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Registered

Thanks for posting John........I too have an autographed copy of Searace and am looking forward to the next book.

Quick Reply: Betty Cook?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.