Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi >

Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi

Notices

Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi

Old 01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi

I just won a copy of this terrific book in New Zeeland. I had an autographed copy that I loaned to that sonofa***** Larry Crutcher who was going to machine some billet props. It is a terrific early history of Class 1 Offshore. I will be glad to loan it on some secure basis. Hope to have it in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi

I can get new copies of the 2nd edition of this book.
Also Milestones in my Designs, which IMVHO is even better from a design interest perspective.
Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

I tried to send you a PM about the book but it could be delivered to you.
The system indicated that you haven't chosen to receive PMs.

Phil.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not true. I have received two today....
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered

I think he meant me, my subscription had expired preventing me from receiving PM's. Should all be fixed now.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

Ernie, Phil. Thanks for your PM's.

I've got 1 copy of Dhows to Deltas left. It is "new", but since it's been sitting around for a while has a very small tear in the cover - I'll take a photo to show it. I would take GBP40 for this one, and I think cheapest shipping by sea to the US should be about GBP10.

If there is enough interest I can try to get some more - would probably need 5 or so to justify the effort, and will see if I can get a couple of copies of his other book at the same time.

The other book (Milestones in my designs) is much more expensive, IIRC list price was about GBP80, but from a technical interest point of view is a much better book. Dhows to deltas has more of an autobiography style.

The description from the inside front cover of the book follows below. It is the 2nd Edition, printed in 1991.

Written by one of the most stimulating personalities in high speed boat design, this book is part autobiography, partly an intriguing account of the author's design experience, and finally a section dealing with the theoretical and practical considerations underlying the design of fast craft, leading to imaginative thinking about speed and the future. Forming an Appendinx is a most important and highly technical paper on propellers by Peter Du Cane, himself one of the worlds leading high speed designers throughout the last 35 years, and Klaus Suhrbrier, senior hydrodynamicist of Vosper Thorneycroft. The book is generously illustrated, including a large number of drawings of Renato Levi's design drawings which have never been published before, and also many photographs. It is fortunate that a man gifted with brilliant design talent, who also has such a wide experience of constructional and practical high speed problems, should be able to write with clarity and enthusiasm; his book also shows the author as a human being who combines charm with élan.

Cheers
Matt
Attached Thumbnails Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi-dhows320.jpg  
Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MadMat
Ernie, Phil. Thanks for your PM's.

I've got 1 copy of Dhows to Deltas left. It is "new", but since it's been sitting around for a while has a very small tear in the cover - I'll take a photo to show it. I would take GBP40 for this one, and I think cheapest shipping by sea to the US should be about GBP10.

If there is enough interest I can try to get some more - would probably need 5 or so to justify the effort, and will see if I can get a couple of copies of his other book at the same time.

The other book (Milestones in my designs) is much more expensive, IIRC list price was about GBP80, but from a technical interest point of view is a much better book. Dhows to deltas has more of an autobiography style.

The description from the inside front cover of the book follows below. It is the 2nd Edition, printed in 1991.

Written by one of the most stimulating personalities in high speed boat design, this book is part autobiography, partly an intriguing account of the author's design experience, and finally a section dealing with the theoretical and practical considerations underlying the design of fast craft, leading to imaginative thinking about speed and the future. Forming an Appendinx is a most important and highly technical paper on propellers by Peter Du Cane, himself one of the worlds leading high speed designers throughout the last 35 years, and Klaus Suhrbrier, senior hydrodynamicist of Vosper Thorneycroft. The book is generously illustrated, including a large number of drawings of Renato Levi's design drawings which have never been published before, and also many photographs. It is fortunate that a man gifted with brilliant design talent, who also has such a wide experience of constructional and practical high speed problems, should be able to write with clarity and enthusiasm; his book also shows the author as a human being who combines charm with élan.

Cheers
Matt
Thanks Matt,

Since it appears that two of us are after the same book,
I will let Ernie have first choice.

Phil.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:19 PM
gcarter

I tried to buy this book first in '71 but I failed to get anyone to order it for me....things were more difficult then.
Finally got one about two years ago and really enjoyed it.
To me it was a kind of modernization of Dr. Lindsey Lord's book "Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls"
I doubt if I ever get rid of either.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi

Here are some pictures of Barbarina ,a one of Levi .

Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered

I am reading a copy now, excellent book.

Ken

Quick Reply: Dhows to Deltas, Sonny Levi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.