The sad end of .."The Cigarette" >

The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Notices

The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Christian with your permission and Ian's I would,like to include that whole story with photos on our HORBA site. We are revamping the site and will probably be going live around the Miami Boat Show time in February. I will give you last look at any of this material for errors before we go live with it.

Thanks so much for sharing this with the offshore world.
x2 ,great reading ,like many brings back so many memories of those FAB boats...thank you.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie, it is our pleasure, we would all be honoured to have our very small part of Offshore history on the HORBA site. Hope to see you at Cowes next year.

Kind regards

Mary, Ian and Christian Toll
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

The smaller Cary 29 that was also called Beep Beep had an 8 foot beam, the 32 foot Cigarette had a 9 plus foot beam. Later they took the dimensions of the Cigarette and multiplied them by 1.5 and they now had the first 50 foot Cary (actually 49 feet) It never ends what these guys would try...sometimes it worked great and other times a dismal failure, but the objective was always the same, beat the other racers.
Hi Charlie----must have been quite a week?? A trip down memory lane?? Tavares---Key West---all the good old boys----I realized over the weeekend that Saturday, November 9, was Bill Wishnick's Birthday!!! He would have been 89!!! Bil WAS Boss O' Nova----

(and this is a 32 footer)

Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Registered

Christian with your permission and Ian's I would,like to include that whole story with photos on our HORBA site. We are revamping the site and will probably be going live around the Miami Boat Show time in February. I will give you last look at any of this material for errors before we go live with it.

Thanks so much for sharing this with the offshore world.
Wow Charlie, that would be special, I'd like that very much and would be happy to help in any way I can. If you PM me, I can give you my personal details and would be happy to send you pictures, etc.. We have a whole scrapbook at home which details the story. I have also given some information to Magnum and I think there will be a piece on it in their new book.

It's my pleasure telling it, I am glad you enjoyed it. It is certainly a story which has been close to my heart for many years and is something that I have wanted to share on here for a long time but it needed to be delivered at the right moment. With you and Gene showing some interest, I thought it should be now............
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redman
Hi Charlie----must have been quite a week?? A trip down memory lane?? Tavares---Key West---all the good old boys----I realized over the weeekend that Saturday, November 9, was Bill Wishnick's Birthday!!! He would have been 89!!! Bil WAS Boss O' Nova----

(and this is a 32 footer)

Gene, that’s a cracking photo, so are you going to tell me that you were on this one as well??

It’s funny because I was talking to Jeff Hall about 32’s just the other day and I was searching for a decent picture of Boss O’Nova II and couldn’t find a really good one in colour…….but here it is.

I think Bill Wishnick bought that boat to Cowes and raced it in the ’71 CTC. This is a lovely article about it.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512207[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512208[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails The sad end of .."The Cigarette"-ctc-71_page_1.jpg   The sad end of .."The Cigarette"-ctc-71_page_2.jpg  

Last edited by Ratman72; 11-12-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Gene, that’s a cracking photo, so are you going to tell me that you were on this one as well??
"My favorite boats are all----Red": Bill Wishnick sold the boat to Bill McDonald---who sold it to Bob Higgins. We put the complete 'Aeromarine Package i'n it. Fastest 'V' bottom I ever ran----

Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Registered

That's a pretty impressive shot as well. The guy on the right seems to know what's coming next! Were you on board when this was taken?

I guess if you put 1250hp in a 32 footer, it's gonna get lively!!! I'm also guessing you may have run out of hull with that power??? So was it good for 90's?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratman72
That's a pretty impressive shot as well. The guy on the right seems to know what's coming next! Were you on board when this was taken?

I guess if you put 1250hp in a 32 footer, it's gonna get lively!!! I'm also guessing you may have run out of hull with that power??? So was it good for 90's?
The answer is yes-----the boat was 'lively' and a fun boat as well --one of my favorites--- the boat was faster than any other boat that claimed 90. But----when the water got BIG---the 36' was better---

Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Registered

Thank you for sharing Awesome History !
Old 10-15-2021, 03:56 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

I just joined so I could share three photos my late father took of this original 'The CIGARETTE' at the Australian Offshore Powerboat Championships on Port Philip Bay in the mid 1970s, including one of the engine compartment.

However, the forum won't let me upload them because I haven't made ten posts :-(

Quick Reply: The sad end of .."The Cigarette"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.