Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Restoring old race boat HORBA question. >

Restoring old race boat HORBA question.

Notices

Restoring old race boat HORBA question.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring old race boat HORBA question.

I recently purchased an old Banana race boat hull # 3 from 1976. This has apba racing history and was named "Second Choice". Charlie Mcarthy actually raced this boat at one time for the owner. I was thinking about restoring it as a race boat and was wondering the boat never had many or any sponsors and was numbered P-47. Is it acceptable to find a sponsor and design the artwork on the boat to look like a late 70's early 80's race boat or should I not go w/ the race boat look and keep it as a pleasure boat. When it was a race boat it just had the name of the boat and the # on it very boring. I have been talking to a company that has been around for years and may be intrested in sponsoring the boat. As a trailer queen poker run and horba boat.
What should I do?

Last edited by oldschoolfan; 03-07-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what ever makes you happy

If you like the Old School look then do it! Then it's a "Tribute" boat... All good!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

What qualifies a boat for "historical" status?
Any boat (deep V's, cats, tri-hulls, outboards, inboards, sterndrives, surface drives) that has ever raced in the "Offshore Class" of any sanctioning body, at least 15 years ago or longer, qualifies. If the boat has a real race history, it is in!

The above statement is a quote from our HORBA website.

We don't get into naming or designs. We want the members to have fun with these old race boats. The only thing we would actively discourage is, if 20 people wanted to get an old 38 Scarab and do Michelob Light or KAAMA clones.

If you have a real race boat with a proven history, do what you want ....if it doesn't have a known identity, like KAAMA or Benihana and putting a sponsor's name on it will help you ....do it.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
If you have a real race boat with a proven history, do what you want ....if it doesn't have a known identity, like KAAMA or Benihana and putting a sponsor's name on it will help you ....do it.

And Voilá you have History in the Making !
One could also make a period correct racer from a pleasure boat and add own sponsors...
Now that wouldn´t qualify like a real one but still the feel would be the same.. sorta like building a plane jane 1967 4d Belvedere to a 1967 Hemi 4d Belvedere...

Ps Think before you reply about my car example...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 06-22-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

"I have been talking to a company that has been around for years and may be intrested in sponsoring the boat. As a trailer queen poker run and horba boat.
What should I do? "

Whatever the sponsor says .
Old 07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan
I recently purchased an old Banana race boat hull # 3 from 1976. This has apba racing history and was named "Second Choice". Charlie Mcarthy actually raced this boat at one time for the owner. I was thinking about restoring it as a race boat and was wondering the boat never had many or any sponsors and was numbered P-47. Is it acceptable to find a sponsor and design the artwork on the boat to look like a late 70's early 80's race boat or should I not go w/ the race boat look and keep it as a pleasure boat. When it was a race boat it just had the name of the boat and the # on it very boring. I have been talking to a company that has been around for years and may be intrested in sponsoring the boat. As a trailer queen poker run and horba boat.
What should I do?

My boat was repainted to look like the Bertram Special. I much prefer the paint scheme of the Special vs the Natural Light. Maybe ask Charlie from HORBA if there are some other vintage Banana Boats with a name and paint job you do like and paint it up as a tribute to that one?