Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
When the Cougar cats were made of wood >

When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Notices

When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Always in 1971 another Class 2: Tiger Tiger of J.Robinson a 23' powered with two outboards(here in the 1976 version).
Catapult was the second cat Cougar with a central engine. This was powered with a Volvo Penta with 200hp. Year 1971.
In 1972 appeared the Aristocat of Keith Dallas,a 24' with central cockpit(side by side) but with the two outboard engines on each sponsons stern.
Pictures of Graham Stevens
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-tiger-tiger-_1976_res.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-catapult-_1972_.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-aristocat-_1972_.jpg  

Old 03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Excellent Marco.....it was something like that. Maybe Mona Kai?

A photo of the boat is on page 53 of SEARACE and is misidentified as ZIPPE.
Many thanks to Graham Stevens and him Races Library on Boatmad!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

The Crispin was the former 1973's High Speed Blade that was the former Aristocat. David Nott was the driver in 1974.
In1974 Keith Dallas instead raced with the new and historical wodden Cougar: Wiggins Teape,a 33' with 4 Mercury and advanced cockpit in each sponsons.
In 1975 the cat became Penthouse/Inver House still on hands of Dallas.
First photo of Graham's Library.
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-crispin-_1974_.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-ctc74.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-1978-dec-small.jpg  

Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Registered

Then Dallas modified the deck with only two cockpits on each sponsons,mantaining the two aft.
Penthouse/Rizla was a Class 2 dominant from 1976 to 1978.
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-penthouse1978.jpg  
Old 03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Registered

In the 1977 season Cougar showed the first battleship: the Ken Cassir's Yellowdrama III a 38' woddencat powered with a couple of MerCruiser on each sponsons back.
Here at Viareggio where Cassir didn't race because was injuried the day before the race and the boat rest alone on the docks.
At the first World Championships finals at Key West 1977 Michael Doxford leased the cat re-naming it Limit Up.
In 1978 after the CTC the boat was sold to Rocky Aoki that drove it in the Guy Lombardo changin only the name and the race number.
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-vbv77cassir.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-keywest77limitup.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-bennyguylombardo78.jpg  

Old 03-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

In 1979 the American-Japanese champ got fame for the record done in the Key West-Cuba and for a dramatic crash testing a Cobra 38' where was near to dead.
Aoki missed to go to the World Championships in Venice but the cat was there and was drove by Howard Quam with Lanier.
In 1980 the cat was sold to Paul Clauser and renamed Satisfaction. After that year the boat disappeared from the races scenes.
Where the "Mother of alls Cats" is now?
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-us-cuba79.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-quamlaniervenice79.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-scanned-photos-00024.jpg  

Last edited by Black Tornado; 03-10-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Marco - well done for spotting my error about Wiggins Teape/Penthouse - it was called Wiggins Teape when it came in 2nd at Cowes in 74 (48 minutes after the winner Dry Martini!). Charles Gill came in 3rd (4th across the line) in his Souter hull I Like It - forerunner to him owning the ex Magoon Cigarette I Like It Too.

You want chronological order now??!! Give me a few days!!

I thought we´d get to see some interesting photo´s that have never been seen before!! Love that Limit Up shot from Key West - I have never seen any photo´s of that boat in that livery. Fantastic!!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Registered

Marco, here are a couple of pics from the 1974 CTC programme entry list. As you rightly point out - there were a number of successful cats (both sides of the Atlantic) before things really took off. I think Yellowdrama broke the mould because after it won at Cowes and set the new UIM speed record, that´s when every would-be World Champ suddenly wanted one. The rest as they say, is history!
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-ctc-1974.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-tangye%B4s-tandem.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-tiger-tiger.jpg  

Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Registered

Come on Graham!! Join in!! You should be putting us all right when we get it wrong (ok that applies to me, not Marco!). Stop lurking and get posting!! (trust me folks - his knowledge is right up their with Los Señores Crouse y Bertini).
Old 03-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Marco - had a stab at digitally repairing your pic from the Key West start. And check out that second picture - poetry in motion. Just beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails When the Cougar cats were made of wood-arnesonspkeywest83.jpg   When the Cougar cats were made of wood-satisfaction-_1981_.jpg  

Last edited by littlenige; 03-11-2007 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: When the Cougar cats were made of wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.