Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
A big knot: Cobra-Coyote-MSV-Beep Beep >

A big knot: Cobra-Coyote-MSV-Beep Beep

Notices

A big knot: Cobra-Coyote-MSV-Beep Beep

Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris Craft credits Jean Claude Simon as the designer of the old 31' Stinger and Scorpion.

My understanding is that the hull was originally an Excalibur built by Bill Farmer and then with the addition of the notched transom and pad became the original Fountain & Garbrecht Executioner.

How does JC Simon fit in?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Lee: WOW-WOW-WOW yea that`s me, I can`t believe you have it on your wall, I love it, I have been looking for some old pix of my early days. it was a 28` Memco built by Mabry Edwards, one of the first all epoxy boats, and that was 1968, Unfortunatly it came apart in the Miami Nassau race and we almost sunk, same race John Steinbach raced the Formula wood cat with trip outboards, came apart also, we made it to Cat Cay accorss the stream, we were both sinking, did some quick patching and headed to Bimini next day to haul both boats for repairs, weather prevented us from crossing back to Miami for almost a week, we sure drank a lot of beer while there. Thanks for the memories 7XCHAMP
7X, PM me a shipping address
Old 10-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Registered

Received 594 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Starflite X
Chris Craft credits Jean Claude Simon as the designer of the old 31' Stinger and Scorpion.

My understanding is that the hull was originally an Excalibur built by Bill Farmer and then with the addition of the notched transom and pad became the original Fountain & Garbrecht Executioner.

How does JC Simon fit in?
Anyone have the answer?, Charlie?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes JC Simon somehow managed to get an agreement from Chris Craft to credit him.

When it went to Reggie, he wanted to have all boats built by Reggie and Gary to credit him with the design....they thought for a few minutes and......presto bingo.....they added a beak and the rest is history as JC never designed a beak on any boat.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 594 Likes on 242 Posts

Interesting. The Beak mystery finally answered

The Farmer built Excalibur which was later marketed by Chris Craft Where did that design come from would you know Charlie ? Is it just another stretch of the old 27 Magnum.

Also when Reggie was 1st marketing the twin 475 turbo Executioners before they had beaks on them I can't recall seeing any credit in the ads giver to JC.

Did JC ever design a hull. From what I have gathered the Coyote -Cobra design he laid claim on was already designed and built as a MSV
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

These threads are the best.

I've sat and talked with some of the greatest in late 60's drag racing. Hemi r and d. Actually just listened.

Please carry on!!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ham_r_down01
These threads are the best.

I've sat and talked with some of the greatest in late 60's drag racing. Hemi r and d. Actually just listened.

Please carry on!!!!
I just happened to be with Harry Schoell, Brownie and Then later, Richie Powers yesterday.

Richie said we need to get someone to sit with a tape recorder and let us just talk ......as one story triggers another memory of another story.

Harry said it best, as Richie reminded me.....When we are all gone, the library is closed forever!

Maybe the tape rcorder sit down will be HORBAS next project........
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

It would make a good book... THE HULL HISTORY OF OFFSHORE
Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I just happened to be with Harry Schoell, Brownie and Then later, Richie Powers yesterday.

Richie said we need to get someone to sit with a tape recorder and let us just talk ......as one story triggers another memory of another story.

Harry said it best, as Richie reminded me.....When we are all gone, the library is closed forever!

What's a tape recorder?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana

I just happened to be with Harry Schoell, Brownie and Richie Powers ........with Charlie Mcarthey..........talking about classic days of offshore racing.......GIVE ME SOME OF THAT PLEASE!!

Quick Reply: A big knot: Cobra-Coyote-MSV-Beep Beep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.