Notices

Elbie Kronenberg..... R.I.P.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:07 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Elbie Kronenberg..... R.I.P.

I learned over the weekend that Elbie Kronenberg passed away earlier this year. Elbie was one of the original 3 partners in Image Boat co. (with me and Don Lostumbo) when we created the Shadow Cat and Shadow 21 Vee.
Although we had a tempestuous relationship, Elbie helped a lot in my OPC career and was a key player in financing the Shadow projects. Elbie was a character and hard to figure sometimes, but his experience and marine industry connections were invaluable. Elbie could always be found prowling his beloved Hockenjos Boat Co. on Lake Hopatcong in NJ, and we had some fun times there. He was predeceased by his wife, Carol, who was one of the kindest people I ever met. He is survived by his son Mark, whose lifelong (40 years and counting) battle with cancer was the basis for our "Race for Life" concept back in the 70's, and younger son Eric.

In the end he fought the good fight and will be remembered as a colorful, unpredictable soul who made a difference and got a lot of talented people started in all aspects of the marine business.

May God grant him peace and a smooth ice boat ride with Carol in Heaven..

T2x
Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I learned over the weekend that Elbie Kronenberg passed away earlier this year. Elbie was one of the original 3 partners in Image Boat co. (with me and Don Lostumbo) when we created the Shadow Cat and Shadow 21 Vee.
Although we had a tempestuous relationship, Elbie helped a lot in my OPC career and was a key player in financing the Shadow projects. Elbie was a character and hard to figure sometimes, but his experience and marine industry connections were invaluable. Elbie could always be found prowling his beloved Hockenjos Boat Co. on Lake Hopatcong in NJ, and we had some fun times there. He was predeceased by his wife, Carol, who was one of the kindest people I ever met. He is survived by his son Mark, whose lifelong (40 years and counting) battle with cancer was the basis for our "Race for Life" concept back in the 70's, and younger son Eric.

In the end he fought the good fight and will be remembered as a colorful, unpredictable soul who made a difference and got a lot of talented people started in all aspects of the marine business.

May God grant him peace and a smooth ice boat ride with Carol in Heaven..

T2x
May he rest in peace and those are some great words about him. Condolences to the family. I had several lengthy conversations about the tooling for the boats,as well as some old war stories, and at one point was trying to acquire the molds for the 21` which he still had. I loved that boat, had to have been one of the coolest around especially with twin 2.4 s. I built a 21` Apache and powered it with twin 2.5 EFI`s talk about fun. I`m sure T2x can relate.
7XCHAMP
Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
May he rest in peace and those are some great words about him. Condolences to the family. I had several lengthy conversations about the tooling for the boats,as well as some old war stories, and at one point was trying to acquire the molds for the 21` which he still had. I loved that boat, had to have been one of the coolest around especially with twin 2.4 s. I built a 21` Apache and powered it with twin 2.5 EFI`s talk about fun. I`m sure T2x can relate.
7XCHAMP
Thanks Richie:

I can relate, I raced dual 21's in a couple of inshore-offshore races, 1 in the Hudson on the West side of Manhattan against much bigger Production class boats like Bill Gazell's 32' "Great Adventure", the "Crazy Greek" Cobra, and a bunch of others and held my own. We also raced one in Patchogue a few years later and won in the Production class. That boat was one of Linder's greatest designs and was originally designed for twin inlines, but it loved the V-6's as well.

By the way, those molds went to Sonny and Wes Werner and are back in production on Long Island under the name "Intimidator Boats".

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Elbie Kronenberg..... R.I.P.-my-pictures-257.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 06-18-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Richie - I read with interest your memories with Elbie - I had limited contact with him, however it was always stimulating and at times I wondered who got the best of whom ! ( Elbie won by attrition) - The few times I met him at his boat company were memorable - at times, I just could not get away - he just wanted to talk - I am sure you know what I mean.

Your words Richie, were as always - to the point - on the mark - and flowing - -

Do you ever remember when you and Peter (bro) - were in the helicopter and arguing which color a bouy was in California ! again - more memories - Thanks for saying what you said about Elbie - I too appreciated what and how you said it -

Be well Rich !

PHIL
Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phil M
Hello Richie - I read with interest your memories with Elbie - I had limited contact with him, however it was always stimulating and at times I wondered who got the best of whom ! ( Elbie won by attrition)
Do you ever remember when you and Peter (bro) - were in the helicopter and arguing which color a bouy was in California ! again - more memories - Thanks for saying what you said about Elbie - I too appreciated what and how you said it - Be well Rich !
PHIL
Hi Phil:

Interesting problem on here when both Powers and I are called "Richie" and are contibuting to the same thread.......

To your point about Elbie and attrition, you two made for an interesting debate with you always wanting a quick decision and Elbie being the master of the delaying tactic..... I wish we had recorded your conversations.

I do remember debating with Peter about a buoy color, but there is a funny twist to that story..... I'm partially color blind and had no idea what I was looking at. Peter and I had some great times and I always new when push came to shove he's the guy you want guarding your back. We made one crazy team back in the day, you, me, Peter and Walt. You and I may hold the record for the two most stubborn people ever to occupy the same helicopter, but it worked, and it worked well. We could probably fill an entire thread on here with our misadventures, emergency landings, stunt driving with rental cars, and comical arguments. Below is a shot of the legendary "Tango Yankee" and my old Fizzazz.

With Elbie's passing and the loss of so many other friends, Sirois, Gene Whipp, Pruett, Mark and Marce Lavin, Smitty, Dave Gilmore, Doug Lewis, and the rest, it becomes increasingly clear how lucky we were to have the opportunities to work with, race against, and video tape those bigger than life people.

Thank God for the good times and the sport we've loved. Let's enjoy being among the "survivors" for as long as we're around.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Elbie Kronenberg..... R.I.P.-my-pictures-105.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 06-19-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it me, or are my memories of people weirder than others? My memory of Elbie: When Teleflex bought Donzi (and me) from Aronow, all the Teleflex salesmen became Donzi salesmen. One day in 1965, Frank Ongaro called and said that he had a new dealer in New Jersey. All righty then...... "What is the name of the dealer"? "Hockjenjos". "Yeah.....right"! "No really". "Okay, what is the address"? " Lake Hopatcong". "Is this a typing test"? "No, really". "OK, what is the owner's name"? "Elbridge Kronenburg". "Bulls**t"! "No, really". "Allright, what is the bank reference"? "The Long Branch Branch of the Red Bank Bank". Click!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:36 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Is it me, or are my memories of people weirder than others? My memory of Elbie: When Teleflex bought Donzi (and me) from Aronow, all the Teleflex salesmen became Donzi salesmen. One day in 1965, Frank Ongaro called and said that he had a new dealer in New Jersey. All righty then...... "What is the name of the dealer"? "Hockjenjos". "Yeah.....right"! "No really". "Okay, what is the address"? " Lake Hopatcong". "Is this a typing test"? "No, really". "OK, what is the owner's name"? "Elbridge Kronenburg". "Bulls**t"! "No, really". "Allright, what is the bank reference"? "The Long Branch Branch of the Red Bank Bank". Click!
It's not you.....all of us referred to Hockenjos' (which is pronounced "Hockenjosh" by the locals for some other unknown strange reason) as "Hoboken Joe's".

At one time it was one of the largest Sea Ray dealers in the country, but Elbie being Elbie, managed to wind up out of trust with their floor plan and lost the dealership.....

Elbie had a number of quirks, not the least of which was passing gas loudly while negotiating a deal on a new boat. Believe it or not people just accepted this as part of his oddball manner...and bought the boat anyway, even though it sometimes took hours to get him to come up with anything remotely resembling a "tentative" price.

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Riche ! is that your old Carmen Gia - VW - that would never start - think I remember all of us pushing it down a hill for a jump start right ? I know it was a tempermental car ! You were so proud of your VW - wow - I remember that well !

Yes, Richie - we had a great time - it never was like work - always fun - a Challenge - and I always remember you asking me - when I edited the films, "Did you have the Audio on while editing" - Actually I can not chew gum and walk at the same time, so I just turned off the audio - knowing you did a surperb job -

Many Many wonderful memories - specially when we were filming that TANK - or Sea Knife - when we lost our lift- - and started to Sink -(trying to hover down wind with a slow moving craft) I remember you saying - "do ya have enough yet Phil ?" - I saw you turning Green - so FINALLY it was my turn - and I said - NOPE NOT YET ! haha !

Best to you Riche - you were and still are the best !

Hi to Darren and Laura !

PHIL

Last edited by Phil M; 06-19-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: sp. correction
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Hi Phil:

Interesting problem on here when both Powers and I are called "Richie" and are contibuting to the same thread.......

To your point about Elbie and attrition, you two made for an interesting debate with you always wanting a quick decision and Elbie being the master of the delaying tactic..... I wish we had recorded your conversations.

I do remember debating with Peter about a buoy color, but there is a funny twist to that story..... I'm partially color blind and had no idea what I was looking at. Peter and I had some great times and I always new when push came to shove he's the guy you want guarding your back. We made one crazy team back in the day, you, me, Peter and Walt. You and I may hold the record for the two most stubborn people ever to occupy the same helicopter, but it worked, and it worked well. We could probably fill an entire thread on here with our misadventures, emergency landings, stunt driving with rental cars, and comical arguments. Below is a shot of the legendary "Tango Yankee" and my old Fizzazz.

With Elbie's passing and the loss of so many other friends, Sirois, Gene Whipp, Pruett, Mark and Marce Lavin, Smitty, Dave Gilmore, Doug Lewis, and the rest, it becomes increasingly clear how lucky we were to have the opportunities to work with, race against, and video tape those bigger than life people.

Thank God for the good times and the sport we've loved. Let's enjoy being among the "survivors" for as long as we're around.

T2x
true statement brother. i feel blessed and lucky to have raced with, known and rubbed shoulders with these guys at some point in my life.and you of course
mike stancombe
Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phil M
Riche ! is that your old Carmen Gia - VW - that would never start - think I remember all of us pushing it down a hill for a jump start right ?
A Carmen Ghia wouldn't pay for the spark plugs in that beast...which, as you may recall, had to be changed with each tank of gas. I used to wish I had a little Italian mechanic in the boot on that car. I believe Ferrari called the car "Boxer" because it would sucker punch your checkbook. It had a full race tune, 6 two barrel Webers, and custom Abarth exhaust so it needed to idle at 1200 RPM at traffic lights. With a competition clutch you can imagine how much lead distance I had to give the cars in front of me when "launching" as the light turned green.

I remember the dealer complementing me on how many miles I was getting out of the clutches. (4000)..... According to him most people with that setup couldn't get over 1000 , even the race drivers...... Sometimes I shifted without it....old time truck driving habit.....Of course I had to replace third gear once....but I was "great" with clutch mileage

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 06-21-2007 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Elbie Kronenberg..... R.I.P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.