Impeller/dry start questions >

Impeller/dry start questions

Notices

Impeller/dry start questions

Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impeller/dry start questions

Hi, my name is Chad, and I'm new to the offshore boats. I just bought a 1978 Scarab 300. My previous boat was a 1977 Caribbean 26' daycruiser. I am selling the Caribbean, and had a guy come over to look at it. He asked me to fire it up, so I did. He then freaked out because I started it dry, and was convinced the 3 seconds it ran destroyed the impeller. I've never heard of this. I've dry started that boat hundreds of times, usually only for a few seconds, and never had a problem. Is what he is saying correct, and I indeed have damaged the impeller, or is he full of crap? The guy was so upset by it, he got in his car, and drove off. Also, am I correct in assuming the impeller is cheap, and an easy replacement, as I have heard of people replacing them every season for good measure. Any help is appreciated. I am looking through this site all day, to get all the info I can. I really enjoyed the picture thread of the old school offshore. The new stuff does nothing for me.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Chad, You can crank it to fire and immediately shut it off. I do it on occasion but it really isn't good practice. For someone who doesn't work on boats to witness that was left with the impression you didn't know what your doing, I may have thought the same thing too. It is good practice to change the impeller every season, much is at stake. Seems to me the real lesson here is to show the buyers how good of care you took of it, take the time to get the hose to demonstrate how well it runs next time.
Jim
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered

On mercury motors I have had you can easily damage the impellor with a dry start, especially an older impellor. I always popped the belt off the sea water pump before starting...problem solved. On my 525's I have never had to replace one but on a previous 454Mag I had to replace the housing (plastic and usually breaks also) and the impellor. I think it cost 150.00 or so in parts.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If a seller does that then I'm going to assume he does alot of other things that aren't "proper" with the boat......I'm done with the boat!!! (and I do all my own work on the boat. I change the impeller (and housing) every year as part of regualr annual service.)
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Registered

I see. Seems that indeed it was my error. I would like to replace the impellers on my Scarab with TRS drives, is there a thread I can reference that tells me how, or is it a pretty easy job, that could be easily explained? Again, I appreciate the input, and excuse my ignorance as I learn about our motorsport.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

here's a great thread read it.

http://www.teambajamarine.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6560
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered

Hello, I would recommend 2 things 1 a sea strainer and a BLUE impeller, We used Sea strainers on the Scarabs not only
to collect junk that would go into the motor but also because
they retain some water so that they prelube the impeller when
you are 'air borne' its a SCARAB thing
Mike J.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but surely if you were to start the boat in the water for less than 3 seconds, water couldnt make it to the impeller that fast. I dry start mine on the trailer EACH and EVERY time on all the boats Ive owned.. im not the guy that waits til it hits the water on the trailer to see if itll start.. Ive never had an issue but I also dont RUN it on the trailer, just get it to fire up and shut her down.. I change impellers every other oil change.. cheap insurance..
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I dry start mine on the trailer EACH and EVERY time on all the boats Ive owned.. im not the guy that waits til it hits the water on the trailer to see if itll start.. ..

You trust your equipment that little that you feel you have to do this? Why?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

OK, I read the thread on the Baja forum. Now I'm more confused, as the Caribbean doesn't even have a sea pump. I thought he was referring to an impeller in the outdrive or something. Again, please excuse my ignorance, but what does this pump do? Doesn't the engine waterpump provide enough water, or does this smaller pump kind of "prime" the system?

Quick Reply: Impeller/dry start questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.