Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Notices

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Bittersweet became "Burn Baby Burn" right? Anyone ever hear any more about that boat? Supposedly it was in a barn in Ohio right?

Also what boat runs the Catalina ski race every year? (Attached photos of Burn Baby Burn and the Ski Race boat).
Well the mystery of where the 35` cig. Conspiracy/Mighty Mouse/American Eagle ended up is solved. Thats her in the picture from the Catalina ski race, notice the Hawaii decal on the side. Also stands to reason that she would end up in Calif. as that`s where the Gentry shop was etc. good find.
7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bittersweet became "Burn Baby Burn" right? Anyone ever hear any more about that boat? Supposedly it was in a barn in Ohio right?

Also what boat runs the Catalina ski race every year? (Attached photos of Burn Baby Burn and the Ski Race boat).
I notice the boat has a for sale sign, also on the side is the name of a co. Dunsmoore custom Marine. I worked with the Dunsmoores when I was with Gentry, Tom basically bought the rights from them for the Gentry turbo motors, Billy and his dad are both great people and good friends. If anyone was interested in the historical significance of this boat to restore, I`m sure if you contact Dunsmoore custom Marine in Calif. ask for Billy, he will know all about it, actually it looks like him on the bow, He is heavy into the ski race scene as his wife is a world champion skier, say hello from Richie.
7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So cool...:-)
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-bbb1.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-bbb2.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-bbb3.jpg  

Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Where dose this American Eagle fit in.
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-scan0027-ae.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-scan0027-ae1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
It doesn´t. It´s a 36. :-)

Last edited by steeb; 12-13-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by h2oboater
This was one of the original 36`s, I sold it to a guy in Miami back in the early 1980`s Couple huge hatches were installed in the deck and the rest is history, not sure where it ended up, could be at the bottom of the ocean. It was a cool boat for it`s time, Gentry built some really cool aluminum hatches for it, and the paint scheme was ahead of it`s time. Tom took the boat to Europe back in 1972/3 to race UIM. He was running Calif. hot rod motors from Dunn & Falconer. When he cranked the motors up they would scare the rest of us into believing we were smoked, unfortunatly they never lived, Freddie Miller was on sticks at the time. I was with Bonomi and Dry Martini, and we were the ones to beat, Tom tryed to hire me for three years while I was winning the UIM world championships with the Italians, finally one year he said Richie enough with the Italians, I want to bring the trophy and championship back to america, especially as it was america`s Bicentenial 1976, so we did it and rest is history. Tom was a true american with a lot of pride. Take a look at the 35` Cig. American Eagle for 1976, we made history. 7XCHAMP
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (06-28-2021)
Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by steeb
So cool...:-)
This boat beloned to a guy by the name of Ron Beline last I knew, the boat was in Ft. Laud. or Pompano. Beline had a marine service business, then teamed up with Richie Sepulla and popped a 41` Apache and made it a canopy boat called Cigar. They had a real bad accident with the boat in testing, almost killed the both of them, it was never raced that I know, sat outside the old Bobby Moore shop off Ives Dairy Road for a long time with no motors drives etc. just rotting away. The boat probably could have been good with a little work from a pro. They added steps to the Apache pop etc, all kevlar, basically a cool boat, I think they ended up sueing each other, ran out of money and who knows where they are now. I miss Richie he was a really good guy with a lot of talent for rigging etc. also good in the boats. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I notice the boat has a for sale sign, also on the side is the name of a co. Dunsmoore custom Marine. I worked with the Dunsmoores when I was with Gentry, Tom basically bought the rights from them for the Gentry turbo motors, Billy and his dad are both great people and good friends. If anyone was interested in the historical significance of this boat to restore, I`m sure if you contact Dunsmoore custom Marine in Calif. ask for Billy, he will know all about it, actually it looks like him on the bow, He is heavy into the ski race scene as his wife is a world champion skier, say hello from Richie.
7XCHAMP
Richie, that's the Dunsmores. I don't know them personally, but I've seen that boat at the Catalina Ski Race for the past couple of years that I've been interested in it. They're in Nevada now as I understand it. I've got their number and was going to call them about the boat (for a friend) but never got around to it. Based on the finishing positions, I think they run very well each year. If you want the phone number, I can PM it to you.

And as always thanks for the great stories and history!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
This was one of the original 36`s, I sold it to a guy in Miami back in the early 1980`s Couple huge hatches were installed in the deck and the rest is history, not sure where it ended up, could be at the bottom of the ocean. It was a cool boat for it`s time, Gentry built some really cool aluminum hatches for it, and the paint scheme was ahead of it`s time. Tom took the boat to Europe back in 1972/3 to race UIM. He was running Calif. hot rod motors from Dunn & Falconer. When he cranked the motors up they would scare the rest of us into believing we were smoked, unfortunatly they never lived, Freddie Miller was on sticks at the time. I was with Bonomi and Dry Martini, and we were the ones to beat, Tom tryed to hire me for three years while I was winning the UIM world championships with the Italians, finally one year he said Richie enough with the Italians, I want to bring the trophy and championship back to america, especially as it was america`s Bicentenial 1976, so we did it and rest is history. Tom was a true american with a lot of pride. Take a look at the 35` Cig. American Eagle for 1976, we made history. 7XCHAMP
Richie,some little precisations;
in 1972 Gentry compete in Europe(only in Italy),with him first 36',named Innerspace. After the Viareggio race he sold to Giorgio Mondadori the boat and the italian editor renamed it Nick and then Nicopao in 1973.
In 1973 Gentry came back in Europe with another 36' named American Eagle and painted all in light blue.
He compete in the same time in USA and in the Mediterranean,thus he had two boats.
I think that that posted above was the USA races version of a second 36' for Tom Gentry in 1973.
That 36' with that original paint scheme then was sold to the Australian Arnold Glass that drove it in the australian championship meanwhile he drove another 36',(the Sabre Dance) in the APBA championship in 1975.
The American Eagle then was sold to another Aussie,Barry MacMillan in 1978 becaming the Whippy's Eagle.
That 36' is still racing in Australia in 1980's World Championships in Melbourne Bay renamed The Eagle for McMillan again.
Maybe that boat come back in USA after that?

Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-12-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here the three versions.
-1972,the red Innerspace at Viareggio. With Gentry aboard was Davey Wilson.
-1973,Italian race; the American Eagle duelling with Dry Martini.
-1975 the second American Eagle in Aussie version.
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-innerspacevbv72.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-amereagledry73.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-americaneagleaus.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.