So what was the story on this one...

Notices

So what was the story on this one...

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flying fish
Just dug out a couple more taken at the builders in UK. I remember the builder receiving a wad of cash to build,and when putting it into the bank,the counting machine came to a grinding halt because the notes were stuck together with blood. Maybe the writing was on the wall even then.
That`s it flyin fish. Absolute, I remember Stuteville working on that project, and it was top secret, Guess it never worked. The 42` center class 1 cougar that I refer to was another project boat, that ended up sitting.
The boat that Marco has shown is not that boat. I believe it is the Alum. 50` super boat, before the deck house was installed and before Sammie shortened the pickle forks so it would fit in his garage/workshop, I say that because of the exhaust on the side indicating a four motor boat. Good work on the pix. etc on the experimental Seahawk/Stuteville project.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Richie,I think you refferred to this cat of Gentry with central cockpit.
There was another tin cat built by Cougar that Gentry brought in Viareggio to the World Finals in 1984.
It was Michelob Light and there was Sammy James and Dick Banks.
About Banks have you info about him? I remember very well of Dick. We spent a lot of time together in Viareggio that time. I would like to greet him!
Dick Banks: I believe it was around 1993 or 4 ???????? Dick failed to show up for work which was very unusual, so Freddie Miller went to his house, he had to break in and found Dick in a closet, I believe unconcious, he called 911, Dick suffered a massive Heart Attack, and was almost paralized. He recovered, but was never the same, one side was partially paralized. Last time I heard he had a home on Lake Mead, as did Freddie, and was building a three wheeler. Dick was one of the great people behind the scenes. A very close friend at the time. Sorry but I don`t know abot Freddie or Dick any more, unfortunatly I lost touch. I am sure that The Dunsmore`s in Calif. would know there whereabouts, I will make an atempt to say hello.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The boat that Richie is referring to was 'masterminded' by "Sir Jack". Gentry wanted it built with flush rivets. We said no-can-do. He took delivery of the boat, and Freddie Miller sat out there for several months and changed every goddam rivet! It was a much more conventional looking boat than one in question. Re: 'Gold Rush". Pretty neat idea. All the machinery and accommodations were in and on the wing. The sponsons botted on. They could raise and lower the wing (before the race) depending on conditions. They also had longer and shorter sponsons. During the press debut, They blew it over backwards. Never saw it again.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Postscript To Goldrush

Detachable sponsons.Yeah right! One of the reasons it was done, was that when it was carted off to the Italian races,they knew that the local police would make them wait at the alpine tunnels if it was all fitted as one.Jim Brooker the `T` man would curse every time he had to bolt the sponsons back on as the locating bolts would always shift position slightly.When it raced, great fountains of water would shoot up in between the tunnel and sponsons,so it wasn`t one of those boats a la `Unowot` where it looked as if you were racing in an armchair with a nice windscreen etc for protection,as you sailed past `Dry Martini `with the `T` man flogging his guts out.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by flying fish
Detachable sponsons.Yeah right! One of the reasons it was done, was that when it was carted off to the Italian races,they knew that the local police would make them wait at the alpine tunnels if it was all fitted as one.Jim Brooker the `T` man would curse every time he had to bolt the sponsons back on as the locating bolts would always shift position slightly.When it raced, great fountains of water would shoot up in between the tunnel and sponsons,so it wasn`t one of those boats a la `Unowot` where it looked as if you were racing in an armchair with a nice windscreen etc for protection,as you sailed past `Dry Martini `with the `T` man flogging his guts out.
Jim Brooker: That`s another name from the past, and another unsung hero. He was the British equivalent. Didn`t he also team up with Charles Gill. What happened to the guys like Mike Mantle, I hired as navigator when we won Cowes etc. back in the 70`s with Bonomi. Another guy from the past who used to build and wrench on the Shead boats with Keith Sparks, his name was Ken, can`t remember last, short guy always smoked a pipe.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Downey?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm having a problem with the "bills stuck together with blood" story. It's possible I guess, but most of their cash was laundered all over the Carribean, before they spent it (according to the court records).

We will never see their like again, now we have most of the cut throat bast*rds in board rooms and political positions. The sad thing is those guys are boring in comparison to Sal and Willie, etc...........

T2x
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow this is a GREAT thread! Hey Fish you devil! And I thought I knew you well!! I never heard of that boat before now. Cool pix and got anymore - now the cat's out of the bag?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Downey?
You are thinking of Pete Downey, also was a grest rigger and mechanic. Didn`t he come to the states for awhile, maybe Cougar for the Trans Atlantic project. Last time I knew of him he was working for Limit-up Doxfords, back in 1976 and there abouts. The Ken I am thinking about was in his early fifties back in the 70`s. Gues that would mean he would be in his 100`s now, so much for that, point is there were some really good rigger/mechanics in Europe who should be acknowledged at some point in time. I think it`s a good project for Marco and Nigel to remember these people who made offshore possible back then, plus made them competitive, the unsung guys. Kieth Sparks got his shot by being a crew/mechanic in Britain, I was one of the guys who told him to move to America, the land of opportunity, rest is as they say history.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

What happened to Keith Sparks? I worked with him on some projects I can't remember if he was with Arneson or Rolla?

Quick Reply: So what was the story on this one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.