Notices

So what was the story on this one...

Old 01-17-2008, 01:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
T2x: You will apreciate this story: You talk about how good the Seahawk guys were. Remember there were several other teams similar to Sal and Willy, although they were the best and most generous of all, and most flambouyant. Story you may recall re: Lynwood Lupo. When Lynwood left Merc./Lake X it was a miracle, as we all took bets that he would retire with Mercury, anyway as many know he went to work for Sal and Willy. For those who didn`t have the pleasure of knowing Lynwood, it`s to bad, he was the salt of the earth, unspoiled drove and old pickup truck lived in a house trailer, and would give you anything he had. First time I saw Lynwood after he went to work for Sal and Willy was in Key West for the worlds, I will never forget it. I saw this brand new white Cadilac Biaritz, with a bunch of people around it talking to the driver, I walked over and saw that it was Lynwood smiling from ear to ear. He was sporting a new Rolex Platinum Presidential covered in diamonds at that time probably cost over $50,000 also sitting beside him was a very cute little blonde girl. God bless him, someone appreciated him, he also had a pocket full of hundreds. I have many, many stories re: those days of Money, drugs,women, and parties that would blow your mind in more ways than people could ever imagine. When I write my book I could devote half of it to those times and those personalities. We all got caught up in it at the time, for all of my experiences I would not trade any one of them. The offshore race was just something calm to do, just for fun most of the time, it was relaxation for alot of the guys in the Bus. Not to say it wasn`t taken serious, whoever stood on the highest pile of cash was the winner, and believe me there were some pretty big piles, More in the book someday, people as you say have no idea how to play and party, at least the ones I know now. I doubt we will ever see it again, Boy was it great. Here`s a couple thousand go get some lunch for the guys, keep the change, remember???
Richie:

Do you remember "Froggie"? Little guy with a deep gravelly voice. He went from being a boat bum/gofer on the old "Steeler" 7 litre hydro team of Hank Langenskamp to Seahawk team member. Suddenly he had Rolexes, fancy cars and enough cash to take that 7 foot tall secretary in Oshkosh (name escapes me....Old age again) to dinner with her parents in Milwaukee........... via limo........and private jet. This ended with him giving diamond jewelry to said secretary....and her mother.....that night.

He disappeared soon after.................

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seahawk Trials

The boat never ran many trials because it required mods to the bottom to bring the bow up more and really get it running.We drew up what was required, but then the Owner was rumbled for his misdermeaners,and work stopped there and then.I never heard of it again until this post.I think it was around 1987 or so that all this happened.It`s interesting to note what Richie says re the Gentry Turbo Eagle,because when it first appears everybody says wow and expects it to blow everything away,but you scrape the gloss off the situation and just realise what it takes to get these boats really running as they should.We are now in an age where most racing is with fairly stock hulls and have plateaued out from the experimental work that went on before.I was already to jump a jet and go over to the states to oversee the mods on the boat but it never happened.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Richie:

Do you remember "Froggie"? Little guy with a deep gravelly voice. He went from being a boat bum/gofer on the old "Steeler" 7 litre hydro team of Hank Langenskamp to Seahawk team member. Suddenly he had Rolexes, fancy cars and enough cash to take that 7 foot tall secretary in Oshkosh (name escapes me....Old age again) to dinner with her parents in Milwaukee........... via limo........and private jet. This ended with him giving diamond jewelry to said secretary....and her mother.....that night.

He disappeared soon after.................

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x
I remember a guy named Frog who used to drive truck for Halpern pulling the boat around, back in the Bobcat Davis and Angelo Meili days. I think I recall the Froggie also, there were a lot of those charachters back then. I once asked frog why they called him frog, he said look at me don`t I look like a frog, Oh well, those were the days.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flying fish
The boat never ran many trials because it required mods to the bottom to bring the bow up more and really get it running.We drew up what was required, but then the Owner was rumbled for his misdermeaners,and work stopped there and then.I never heard of it again until this post.I think it was around 1987 or so that all this happened.It`s interesting to note what Richie says re the Gentry Turbo Eagle,because when it first appears everybody says wow and expects it to blow everything away,but you scrape the gloss off the situation and just realise what it takes to get these boats really running as they should.We are now in an age where most racing is with fairly stock hulls and have plateaued out from the experimental work that went on before.I was already to jump a jet and go over to the states to oversee the mods on the boat but it never happened.
You bring up a good point about setup. I believe same as you that the set-ups today are pretty cut and dry. The race cats of today don`t even run trim tabs. I believe my success was mainly attributed to being able to set the equip. up for best performance, and trim. boats that I have run and won with goes back to practically evry type known. From the single outboard v-bottom, twin outboard, twin I/O open class, Triple super boat V`s Four engine I/O super cats, Twin open and super cats. I have won with everyone of these types of boats as well as set world kilo records. Only a few people in the world have been as succesful with all these different types. You are of the few who really knows what it takes to take a new project and make it work. Years of set-up, testing, racing, feel ( most Important ) awareness of the competition and a strong work ethic, and drive to win. Thanks for recognizing this end of the business which gets forgotten. It`s still a team effort, I was fortunate to always be surounded by good people who would put the hours in and not give up on a project. It`s another thing that the owners got when they hired us to make them champions.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Champ this relates to something that has bugged me ever since i finished my magnum.. I really cant stand when a guy with a new fountain or whatever says" how fast does that old led sled go" or gives me advice when i am fighting with my engine tune.......The guy bought the boat and doesnt know sheet from shinola......But would like to kick me in the nuts just because he has more money than me......One thing these guys cant take away from me is the fact that every nut and bolt and piece of fiberglass i have had my hands on and i take a lot of pried in that.......Keep the stories coming......GOD BLESS THE DRIVERS,THROTTLEMAN, TUNERS ,RIGGERS AND CRASH TEST DUMMIES OF THE HAY DAY..........
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Such is life!

nocigarette - please don't take this wrong.

Your story is what makes this sport so damm good - Im 45 yrs old, not so skinny, eyes aren't as good, reflexes not as sharp anymore. I can't drive a Top Fuel or Indy car and be competitive no matter how much money I have - but in offshore I can be a King!

This is one of the only sports in the world that if you have the money you can buy the fastest boat, best crew and win a "World Title" in the top class all in the same year and still drive it yourself! This is what keeps it going, otherwise it would curl up and die - as a commerical sport it is terriable, hard to watch, hard to follow all the classes, no spectator areas the only thing worse is the Dakar and Baja.

People hired Richie so they could out beat the crap out of the other guy, he made them their bragging rights. When you read all the stories of yesterday what really was it all about "cubic dollars", it's still the same today as back then nothing has changed.

Look at Richie's story about letting people use his shop in Italy, then they go and race anyway - it's called life!

ps I started racing in 1983 so I've seen a couple things as well
Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look here hanabajoe

You talk about boat races with no spectators, and hard to follow classes. You need to bring your friends and boats to Corpus Christi, Texas. We have had a few East\ West shoot outs here and this city has one of the best race areas for spectators. I know it is a long haul for everyone but you will never find a more enthusiastic crowed than here. You will also find some of the nicest people in the world here. Don't be suprised if your ask to someones house for a home cooked meal. Boat racing could become a profitable sports here.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

We would love to come back to Corpus to race if they would have another race there.....
Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
nocigarette - please don't take this wrong.

Your story is what makes this sport so damm good - Im 45 yrs old, not so skinny, eyes aren't as good, reflexes not as sharp anymore. I can't drive a Top Fuel or Indy car and be competitive no matter how much money I have - but in offshore I can be a King!

This is one of the only sports in the world that if you have the money you can buy the fastest boat, best crew and win a "World Title" in the top class all in the same year and still drive it yourself! This is what keeps it going, otherwise it would curl up and die - as a commerical sport it is terriable, hard to watch, hard to follow all the classes, no spectator areas the only thing worse is the Dakar and Baja.

People hired Richie so they could out beat the crap out of the other guy, he made them their bragging rights. When you read all the stories of yesterday what really was it all about "cubic dollars", it's still the same today as back then nothing has changed.

Look at Richie's story about letting people use his shop in Italy, then they go and race anyway - it's called life!

ps I started racing in 1983 so I've seen a couple things as well
Point well taken habana, i always have trouble exspessing myself on this damn computer....I just mean most of the tirds who talk the talk have not walked the walk.......(like the champ) and others.....A lot of guys should emerse themselves in the history of the sport, i think they would have a greater appreciation for the guys who really made it happen.........(YOU CAN DUE ANYTHING WITH MONEY) Still holds true in todays aquatic nascar..........Thanks for posting i love to read about you old die hards............
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, Richie's is a die-hard, I go fishing with my 3 kids now - but I'm thinking that will change soon?

A couple years ago we had a '73 28' Cigarette, not the fastest thing on the water. I had more people with newer boats come up and admire it and when they ask how fast in a smart ass way I told them "fast enough", they walk away after that.

Quick Reply: So what was the story on this one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.