Long distance racing? >

Long distance racing?

Notices

Long distance racing?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude! Sweet!

You are 100% correct, I'm bored today so I'm not letting this die as I should!

How do you attrack people to a "non-race" and not have it be interpreted as a "race"

This is Food for Thouhgt - I feel the need to buy a race boat again coming on! Sorry, a non-race, race boat!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HA! Excellent, not only have I talked myself and one of my buddies into buying race boats (ah I mean "non-race" boats!) but I'm "enabling" people I don't even know!

I would think, that you'd have to have a smallish group of buddies you can trust to reduce the risk of getting burned if something goes wrong during a "non-race". All it takes is one MFer to screw everyone...

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 01-29-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered

$h!t I guess I am almost a 100 years to late. I saw the date but still thought it was a cool article.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Back in the 70's we tried to get a permit to have a race out of Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island to Block Island and back....no dice..... the sailboaters tried to tar and feather us.

So, I called some of the guys from Mass that raced in Gloucester and Plymouth and told them I was going for a "cruise" on a particular day at a specific time. Lots of 27 and 28 foot Magnums and Cigarettes and of course banana boats.

Funny, but about 25 boats showed up to go cruising....of course nothing is secret, so the local water gestapo was waiting for us down the bay.

We started up the Providence River, by Gaspee Point (The first place the Americans revolted against Britain in 1775) and headed down into the bay......about 4 miles after the start, the bay divides into east and west passages around Conimicut Light.

There they were....the water gestapo...in their Boston Whalers with blue lights flashing. I was leading, and I led the fleet of "cruisers" right toward the gestapo, then about a mile before we got to their position, I steered off to the other passage and down we went toward the ocean with the whalers in hot pursuit.....no contest.

After the Block Island turn, we headed back up the Bay to an amusement park where we all gathered at the docks. The blue lights showed up. They were very upset and took names and driver licenses, and held us for over 4 hours.

Our story was airtight......

Quote......."Hey we are all friends and we went cruising together out to Block Island and then came back for some fun on the rides and to have clam cakes."

In the end they could do nothing.....a week later, I mailed out a bunch of "trophies" of the "Cruise"to the boats that placed.

Sometimes, you just have to go ahead and do it.

Last edited by Top Banana; 01-29-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Registered

Charlie,

So, it could be done, that's one answer I was looking for.

Your right there is no law against assembling. Hell I guess if they can't stop people like PETA from protesting in a public street - what could they do to guys running their boats at WOT in the ocean.

I still would like to know legally, if someone sunk their boat or hit another boat God forebid during what you did or today - is their liability on your part - if so why? Also, does insurance look at the fact that group of boats was running together and call it a "race", which on most polices is excluded.

At big fishing tournaments I've been in we had a Bimini or shotgun start where all the boats line-up and throttle down at a scheduled time. This is racing to some degree, what happens if there is an accident and there are many close calls?

I guess I'm being anal about this for one reason, like Phil said racing today although certain people love it - I would rather have 3 men in a boat with a compass so I can get lost again for the up-tine time!!! If I could go back out and run sea bouys and such I would do it. My kids semi-like to watch clips of real-offshore, I put on today's racing and they go cool and get bored in oh 3 minutes - change the channel!

I hoping to maybe spark someone (maybe me) to figure out how we could do it "old school" and not have all the legal hassels.

I think their are enough people here who might want to do that?

Joe Gere
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Joe:

I admire your resolve here. The last time this topic was seriously aired there was a plan to run a Miami-NY race acouple of years ago. It hasn't materialized yet and may be over ambitious. To your point, liability is accessed by the courts who have jurisdiction over a particular body of water. They will consider the evidence and, in cases of a boat collision or tragedy, bend over backward for the plaintiff or his heirs. At best its a crapshoot with the cards stacked against you. I wonder, however, what the rules are in the open ocean outside the territorial limits of a particular state or country? Maybe the old Bahamas 500 might make more sense?

Big picture , however, is insurance should be obtained and a sanction from a racing organization helps in that regard. You do need basic safety rules, hull inspection, etc....lest some idiot in a papermache flimsical creation disintegrates and requires a 3 day search at sea with resultant bad publicity. Sail boats race around the world and on various point to point courses in sanctioned events. Why can't powerboaters?

T2x
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay guys.. We are working on this I just hate to telegraph things until we have a stronger position as I have been let down too many times in the past regarding boat racing. However we are going to make it work one day.

First we do want to sanction the events to offer legitimacy, press, sponsorship, etc. Additionally with all the lawyers at work at some point some where a person or entity made the phones calls, picked a time sent a secret message and we have enough exposure all ready so we need insurance.

Permits can be obtained. If you can speak the language and develop relationships along with strong pragmatic principals it can be done. The Coast Guard will always have a very difficult time saying you cannot have an organized pleasure boating event. They can stop a race but not a poker run or organized event. The details of this position are too long for me to type but you can always read 33CFR100 or call me and I can explain it. Let me clarify.... The Captain of the Port can do whatever he or she wants to protect the port zone. By definition it would be hard to stop an event. They have tried to stop mine and it put me in a very bad perdicament because at the time I was not retired and still a CG Officer but we got it done.

Individual insurance companies will determine if an incident which generated a claim on an organized boating event would be denied because of racing. Knowing what we know, (Alpha Males in HP boats) poker runs are not and will never be a race.
Say this at least three time… “THERE IS A SPEED LIMIT ON THE WATER!” Any navigable waterway both inland and international falls under the 72COLREGS convention. International regulations for prevention of collisions at sea. Rule #6 Safe speed must always be considered. I always message this because we never want a numerical value to be associated with safe speed. Whenever a new boater, news reporter, or legislator asks or says there is not speed limit we all stand up and shout oh yes there is, we know it, we follow it, and we preach it.

The safety issues are the biggest concern. We are working as I type this on a safety management system to provide the proper level of coverage for long offshore runs and endurance runs.
The sailing analogy is a great one. Not many air ambulance in the southern ocean. I have been in situations thousands of miles out in the pacific where minor medial complications become grave due to time/speed/distance.

BeSafe

Brad
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of this great info guys! Charlie's comments and Joe's pushing have triggered an interesting through process...

Brad, your information is also very well thought out, clear and helpful! It's nice to see actual facts and a well written, unbiased discussion on the internet!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Registered

Thank you all, that's giving the answers I was looking for.

Brad, so you guys are looking at this already, that's good to know. Tell Tres - Hi, many years since I've seen him.

I didn't realize the speed limit as "safe speed", I learn something everyday!!!

So, I guess you'll keep us informed as you guys progress.

Thank you again,
Joe Gere
Old 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long distance, endurance, point to point racing seems to be alive and well in Britain, at least for the 2008 season.

http://www.proprider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354

http://www.proprider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26

Quick Reply: Long distance racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.