Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Long distance racing? >

Long distance racing?

Notices

Long distance racing?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Joe, what type of "non-race" boat are you thinking about?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

This could open up a lot of wounds?

I'm not sure what kind, but would absolutely do a diesel boat again with an Arneson drive. Would most likely do a single engine, long and skinny. I always liked the little 32 Buzzi, was a great boat.

I have to go think about this now!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-31-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
This could open up a lot of wounds?

I'm not sure what kind, but would absolutely do a diesel boat again with an Arenson drive. Would most likely do a single engine, long and skinny. I always liked the little 32 Buzzi, was a great boat.

I have to go think about this now!
Why not a Buzzi drive on a Buzzi boat?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

I'm not thinking 2008, I'm thinking 1989 when they were fixed and could not trim (I believe they do now, haven't checked). I need to remember my meds!

Also the steering was never very good with the rudder, the Arnesons we built just handled much better, again almost 20 years ago, things could have changed?

I also don't like the fact that you have to build onto the back of the boat to mount the drive. With an Arneson I can mount it to a convential transom, cheaper & easier.

I don't know if they still do it but always liked having my overdrive in the drop box rather than the trans.

Trans wise, I rather slip the trans than use a two speed, again simplier, cut pressure, slip, make boost, lock it up and go. I grant you 2 speed in better overall, but if I were to build something, I like less chances for failure.

That's me, never said I was the smartest guy!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-31-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered

How about very slender vessels? Can we run them?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Registered

I've got a soft spot in my heart for the big old CUV mono hulls (maybe a soft spot in my head?! ) as I've mentioned a million other places on this site... There are a couple of de-rigged surface drive diesel boats up on blocks over in Viareggio... And I'd heard Panatta's Thuraya might be for sale. Of course, those Lambo motors only parle italiano!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered

The CUV is a great boat, built for that, they probably had Isotta's or Baudouin in them. I like the smaller boats and less classes, 2 classes only - up to 32' and then up to 42' or 28' & 41'. It's offshore, it's endurance, it's not speed, it's finishing a 160 - 225 mile race.

My meds ran out last night, so!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
So Joe, what type of "non-race" boat are you thinking about?
Dude, I will be a crew member with you for a NY to Miami run if that is what you are thinking. but if we will take mine I need a little time to prepare ha ha ha!. Gerat minds...........
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered

My old man and his best friend did Lauderdale to Alex Bay in a 46 Sea Ray about 15 years ago. It's been on my mind ever since!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
The biggest problem with point to point racing is safety and logistics. Canopy boats require helicopter based divers for prompt driver extraction after an accident, lest the very hardware that protects you winds up locking you underwater.

Non canopy boats are much faster than the old days with the new drives, power, hulls, and props. This increases the probability of spins, barrel rolls, and other mechanisms which in many cases are not survivable or leads to injuries which are critical enough to necessitate immediate medical care and evacuation capability.

Back in the glory days of point to point racing average speeds rarely exceeded 50-60 mph in bigger seas than we encounter today.

T2x.
there is the real answer of why this is not possible, thanks t2x i was starting to think that i was the only one thinking that way

Quick Reply: Long distance racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.