Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Long distance racing? >

Long distance racing?

Notices

Long distance racing?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the true race or ride like the good all days or whatever you want to call it will be Miami to the bahamas like Bob Secentti used to trottle that 41 apache thats the real deal....
Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

Dang, I was thinking Long Beach, Two harbors, Avalon, Newport, Long Beach!

I agree the safety thing is an issue, but how is it different than going out and running as hard as you can with a couple of buddies on a saturday?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Dude! Sweet!;2428880]Dang, I was thinking Long Beach, Two harbors, Avalon, Newport, Long Beach!
I agree the safety thing is an issue
, but how is it different than going out and running as hard as you can with a couple of buddies on a saturday?[/QUOTE]

the liability is just on you , not in a promoter or sponsors
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!

I agree the safety thing is an issue, but how is it different than going out and running as hard as you can with a couple of buddies on a saturday?
Hey Sean, minus the Newport part and you have the RumRun....maybe you missed it last July....
We did pretty well in it....
It might not be too long (approx 80 miles) but at least it doesn't go in a circle....It's as close to old school racing there is.....for now anyways.....I think there is room for your Pantera in the first wave.....
Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Rum Run? What's that?

Hoping to do the ski race and rum run this year. You guys seemed to run OK... Damn shame you don't have the form filling out part down! You might have won it!

You know I'm just messing around with you. You guys ran great and should be very proud of yourselves. The snafu on the classification sucks, but there's always next year! As usual, I'll be watching HFT's transom dissapear into the distance on our way to Catalina!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=orss;2428905]
I agree the safety thing is an issue
, but how is it different than going out and running as hard as you can with a couple of buddies on a saturday?[/QUOTE]

the liability is just on you , not in a promoter or sponsors
Huh, I thought you were talking about keeping people alive, not keeping people from getting sued.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Dude! Sweet!;2429111]
Originally Posted by orss

Huh, I thought you were talking about keeping people alive, not keeping people from getting sued.
beside that, people that get in the boat are not the problem , they know what are the risk, but the people behind them become a real problem in the event of an accident.

i was a rescue diver for 16 years (HELODIVER) is i don't perform perfect people can sue me, now you tell me where is the logic there?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered

Orss, I understand where you're coming from on that... I think stuff like that (suing competent medical professionals who perform capably) is a load of crap. I don't think there is a ton of logic (other than keeping people who don't know what they're doing from doing the job), but was focused on the "safety" part not the "liability" part of T2X comments. Having someone there to pry your wet, passed out ass out of your upside down canopy boat seems at the outset, the critical thing, whether you're racing, "non-racing" or just out tearing it up with your buddies.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been thinking about this for some time now. When we do our little Catalina or Santa Barbara runs its all informal. Just a bunch of guys getting together to run our boats. But of course everyone runs hard and a few are running as fast as they can. I guess we do that in poker runs too. I remember running with a certain 28 Pantara in the SCOPE run and I don't know about the Pantara but we were running as fast as we could! So is that racing? I guess if we were in cars on the street it would be. So I guess if we call everyone and say we're meeting at Channel Islands Harbor for a "race" to SB then we could potentially be held liable if someone as trouble. But if we just say we're running to SB then what is our exposure (like Charlie's RI deal)?

Heres an old school idea: Instead of Fountain and Outerlimits going for kilo or top speed records, they set up an "endurance run", say Miami to Bimini? Any boat they want to bring with any power, any drivers. No BS, you brake, you lose. Run what ya brung!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered

Orss, I understand where you're coming from on that... I think stuff like that (suing competent medical professionals who perform capably) is a load of crap. I don't think there is a ton of logic (other than keeping people who don't know what they're doing from doing the job), but was focused on the "safety" part not the "liability" part of T2X comments. Having someone there to pry your wet, passed out ass out of your upside down canopy boat seems at the outset, the critical thing, whether you're racing, "non-racing" or just out tearing it up with your buddies.
ok , i see now , that kool

Quick Reply: Long distance racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.