Notices

Sit downs?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sit downs?

When did the Sitdown style race boat become popular in the v boats. Were there any classic sitdowns?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that I had Recaro race car seats mounted on shock absorbers pedestals back in 1986.
It was in my canopy 28' Pantera, w/ roll gage, lexan windshield, oxygen in the cockpit etc.

When I showed up to race here in Miami, (National race) the APBA officials did not let me race! They told me they had to think about it!

I will find a picture and post later.
Pepe @ Pantera.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I think in the early-mid 90's they really became popular with the likes of the Ocean Spray and Apache Heritage boats showing up with sit down configuration.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

We Had Sit Down Seats In 84 In The Rollin Thunder Of Vince Rinaldi(31 Express Cat) Worked Pretty Well In Rough Stuff
Old 02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

This Magnum ACTIVE-8-ER belonged to Bud Drettman it had a unique set of sit down seats with springs and shocks. It raced around 1977, this classic Mag was the old Wolverine and raced for many years before with a stand up bolster. Bud would later start Active Marine, and his navigator Ross Focht now runs Ocean Express.
Attached Thumbnails Sit downs?-scan0004bud1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sit down.....built in 1994...
Attached Thumbnails Sit downs?-10233.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sit downs go back to the very beginnings of offshore in the early 60's.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=147865

The sport started with boats from 16 feet and up racing in the ocean and most of them had seats. In fact this was well before bolsters were even developed. All of the Shadow Cats and Conquests we built had seats. I actually put a foot throttle in the first Shadow Cat prototype and ran it in huge waves. Some of the early Shadows had drop out cushions for the "old school" guys, but rarely were they used.. The truth is you have more control if you are not expending half your energy in trying to stabilize your body. Of course the impacts in some big Vees necessitated a stand up driving position, but the cats had no such problem.

T2x
Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan
When did the Sitdown style race boat become popular in the v boats. Were there any classic sitdowns?
I was under the impression I built the first sit down V bottom canopy boat in 1992 when I built the 47` Apache Heritage. When I showed up in Key West for the worlds. The boat was cut down so low, everyone thought it was a cat, and since we had the number 50 on the side they thought it was a fifty footer. Bottom line is if nothing else I would venture to say it was the first successful canopy V-Bottom as it won the worlds in 1992 and 1993 in Superboat, and in 1993 we won overall. We finished approx. 6 min. ahead of any other boat. Let me tell you there is no better feeling in the world than comming through Key West Harbor way out in front, it is the ultimate.
Since you asked only about V- Bottoms, I give my two cents.
I believe we set the bar by which everyone else followed. The next year was INXS Fountain #1 Then INXS Fountain #2 following year lighter faster etc. By the way the Fountain never beat us ( Omar Danial & Richie ) Even when we ran the Scarab Diet Rite cola Triple 42` We won the APBA worlds plus our two qualifying races to be eligible to race in Ft. Meyers worlds in 1993. We INXS finished second behind us within seconds. Tough fun racing.
7XCHAMP
Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered

OK, Pepe, I'll cover you on the outside, now lets see some shots of the inside!
Attached Thumbnails Sit downs?-pantera_historypg6_7.jpg   Sit downs?-pantera_historypg7_2.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by butch ryan
We Had Sit Down Seats In 84 In The Rollin Thunder Of Vince Rinaldi(31 Express Cat) Worked Pretty Well In Rough Stuff
I thought that was so you did not mess up your hair........

Quick Reply: Sit downs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.