Experienced advice on Formula 233 twin appreciated >

Experienced advice on Formula 233 twin appreciated

Notices

Experienced advice on Formula 233 twin appreciated

Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced advice on Formula 233 twin appreciated

Hi, I have a 79 Thunderbird 233 with twin I/O GM 140's. I would like to make the boat safer for going out into the Pacific, the bars out here are extremely dangerous, folks killed every year crossing over them. I am fortunate to be a average-above average engine builder, do it yourself type of guy. Is there any performance to be had out of the 4's in the boat, or is there a more modern motor I could use, such as a pair of supercharged automotive engines that I could match with bullet-proof outdrives that would make my boat more worthy of ocean runs? I use the boat now as a general purpose/ski/wakeboard boat in fresh water, its good at that and has good fuel economy with the twin 4's. Any advice? Leave it alone vs uprate/repower? Thanks, Roy
Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple ? would be
-primary boating: lakes, rivers, big blue?
-what is your budget?

very good hull the Formula 233.

I had a wellcraft 23 Nova (not as robust as a 233) and it and myself enjoyed the big blue
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know of one with a 500hp and bravo it runs 70+mph. they painted the boat white and put some modern controls etc. It 's a nice rough water boat and a classic.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies... My plan is for the boat to spend most of its time in the ocean. We live close to it. For a budget, mine will go farther than lots of folks as I can do my own engine building less machining time. I would hope to spend no more than 10,000 on the boat in terms of uprating/repowering parts. With a practical limit of ten large what would be the most bang for the buck? I already am equipped with a nice power steering unit for the twins. I could add more money later but I don't want to spend a whole lot more on the boat. The motors are your standard 140 hp GM stringers with OMC 400's. Thanks, Roy
Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birdwillfly
Thanks for the replies... My plan is for the boat to spend most of its time in the ocean. We live close to it. For a budget, mine will go farther than lots of folks as I can do my own engine building less machining time. I would hope to spend no more than 10,000 on the boat in terms of uprating/repowering parts. With a practical limit of ten large what would be the most bang for the buck? I already am equipped with a nice power steering unit for the twins. I could add more money later but I don't want to spend a whole lot more on the boat. The motors are your standard 140 hp GM stringers with OMC 400's. Thanks, Roy
IMO,
with the twin engine set up, $10k would probably be consumed real quick if you do a major re-rig like to a couple small blocks and in the end you may be spending a lot more than ever imagined.
1st, I would see what the tansom holes would accept and look for a couple takeouts that may bolt up with little glass work.
If your limited to the specific outdrives without glass work, then i would vote for a refurbish to the outdrives and engines with what you have and enjoy it for what it is-which is a cool solid boat platform.
Then when you have enjoyed the boat to its full potential, sell it and move into something that is closer to what you may want later.
good luck