Notices

Buzzi

Old 01-24-2009, 03:47 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flyin,

The wreck happened on the second race, then they cancelled the series. It was a weird deal, It was the first time they did not have his private helo following him during the race (not that it would have helped). I watched the first race and did not see the second because I left for the south of France and heard the news on the radio. I had sliced my leg on NOTREALS prop helping them push the boat on casters through the pits.

Was there 2 boats built or did they modify colibri to the enclosed cockpit. The one I saw had a red lightning bolt and was white in 1990.

pat W
Old 01-24-2009, 03:50 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pic of the white SDA has the canopy cover on it still.

I will se what else I can find on the older boats I need to dig through my dads stuff.

pat W
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
Pat - screaming across the ocean at midnight must have been totally surreal!! Keep the pics and stories coming!

Back to the Colibri for a second, I believe it crashed because they did not see a large wave that had been produced by a large ship somewhere off in the distance and launched big time. I think also that it was a sit down configuration. (so they listened to that part T2x!)
Nigel,was also the system to approach an offshore race by Pironi that was the first cause of the fatal crash.
Then that boat was really unstable on the waves...perhaps also for her lightness(was the lighter hull of the circus that year). I had the opportunity to see it to Viareggio on a sea a little hard. Really a crazy dancer!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=flying fish;2784214]That 3rd pic is Saflio in the 1990 Monaco Worlds.

Casiraghi was killed in 1st race and then they abandoned the series,so don`t understand the SDA/Gancia comment.

Flying,Casiraghi was killed immediately later the start of the second race. The race was stopped after the first lap and then the third race and the Worlds were cancelled.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter
Was there 2 boats built or did they modify colibri to the enclosed cockpit. The one I saw had a red lightning bolt and was white in 1990.

pat W
I`ve also wonderd if there was built 2 of them, but I`ve never found anyone that can confirm 1 or 2...
IF there`s only one, I find it strange that they did all the job to rebuild it back to original by removing the enclosed cockpit, just to put it in a museum...

Here`s the only picture I`ve found of the enclosed-version. Anyone have any more info or pics of this???

Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monaco 2nd race

God,my memory`s going.This is why I have to get it down on paper before it goes completely.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Johnny_Stingray
I`ve also wonderd if there was built 2 of them, but I`ve never found anyone that can confirm 1 or 2...
IF there`s only one, I find it strange that they did all the job to rebuild it back to original by removing the enclosed cockpit, just to put it in a museum...

Here`s the only picture I`ve found of the enclosed-version. Anyone have any more info or pics of this???

This should be the according to twin ACX of Colibrì that says shifter.
I have always thought that this version with the cockpit enclosed was the old Colibrì, but then remembering that in a museum in France exists the version of the Colibrì without closed cockpit I now think that the boats were two.
Or have they brought the boat of Pironi to the origin?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered

Default Acx

Looking through some Italian Annuals it shows in 1990 the white boat (lightning) as being built in 1987 (a la Colibri).
From the files the boat raced in 87,88,89 & 90.
The above boat raced in 1990,but I can`t lay my hands on the red/white/blue version of the pic,to check the year.
At the time of the colibri crash the story goes,della valle saw the tanker wash and slowed but not so colibri.The general thinking was that because of the rounded gunwhale,there was less resistance to any roll.An example of that occured with Alitalia ,a CUV where on turning at Torquay they got their tabs screwed up and spun,but the flat topside kept them from rolling.
Attached Thumbnails Buzzi-leader-1988-.jpg   Buzzi-leader-1990-.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Default ACX Update

The pics of leader need modifying.White boat 90,Red/White/Blue boat 88.
The canopy boat R/W/B is shown racing in 1988,which suggests it was a second ACX.It does not appear in the Italian annuals to be able to clarify the year built,and the pic in 1988 is in a french mag,so I can`t read it anyway.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Registered

Default Acx Update 2

Forgot to mention.Boat did not race in 89.Jarier had it in 88 and Feeler in 90.Looks like Jarier demanded a canopy after the Colibri crash,and Feeler bought Colibri second hand to race.

Quick Reply: Buzzi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.