KS&W and Second Effort Surface Drives >

KS&W and Second Effort Surface Drives

Notices

KS&W and Second Effort Surface Drives

Old 04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default KS&W and Second Effort Surface Drives

Can anyone tell me about the history of these companies? I know Sal and Willie were the owners of KS&W hence the S & W and I think the K was Keith?

I don't know much about Second Effort Surface Drives other then they looked a lot like Arneson's drives...Was Sal and Willie rebranding them?

Thanks for any info...
Scott
Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SE was Gary Garbreich's (sp) company.

Gary was, amongst other places, once employed by Arneson. Some how Gary got a licencing agreement to make the Arneson Surface Drive that you are referring to from Borg/Warner.

The SE 1600 and the SE 1000 which respectfully meant 16" and 10" drop box drives. When Gary left CA for FL he took the tooling from Arneson and thus they are basically identical other than a bearing or seal size.

The drive was referred to as the 1600 and at the same time the ASD7 by Arneson back in the day.

The SE had a small stainless steel plate on them that said "--Arneson Drive -- Second Effort Performance Products-- "

KS&W needs a separate thread as there are a lot of individual characters involved in that company alone. They rigged a lot of race boats back in the hey day. Some with Arnesons some with Mercury.
Attached Thumbnails KS&W and Second Effort Surface Drives-1737240_11.jpg   KS&W and Second Effort Surface Drives-dsc03719.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow from being an industrial supplier of filters to KS&W and having attended the final US Gov't auction at KS&W St Aug facility, I will forever be amused by the history and shenanigans that went on there. I purchased a lot of powerboat parts from that federal auction including a crate of Chevy dimple and Carrillo rods, marine headers etc but I never noticed and never looked for drives or drive components I would think some had to be there.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/1992-02...-magluta/full/
Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

K was for Keith Eickert, I wonder what SEAHAWK would be running in todays offshore racing maybe a triple turbine.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salty dog
K was for Keith Eickert, I wonder what SEAHAWK would be running in todays offshore racing maybe a triple turbine.
Those were bad as mothas..Willy comes out now in 2015