Notices

Super Hawaii

Old 08-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Is that with Cummins B's or C's and is it a 1990?
Mine is a 1992 with the 300HP 6-B's
Old 08-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Run right around 55 mph or a little faster?

Do the engines have 3" pipes between the intake manifold and the aftercooler instead of the stock 2.5" pipes and hose? Also is there a welded strap on the pipe from the turbo to the aftercooler that is bolted on the engine somewhere?

Do they turn 3,000 or 3,300 rpm's?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Run right around 55 mph or a little faster?

Do the engines have 3" pipes between the intake manifold and the aftercooler instead of the stock 2.5" pipes and hose? Also is there a welded strap on the pipe from the turbo to the aftercooler that is bolted on the engine somewhere?

Do they turn 3,000 or 3,300 rpm's?
The best I have gotten on the boat is 52 mph on the GPS.

The OD of the pipe on the two elbows between the aftercooler and the intake manifold measure 2-1/2". The pipe from the turbo has a clamp attached to a long angle that bolts to the flywheel housing.

These engines are set to 2600 rpm.

My thoughts are based on the 12,000lb weight and a true 300 HP per side the boat should really run closer to 60 mph than 50.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Habana Joe, Were the 40 foot gas models staggerd?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Easy answers first - 40's were side by side, at least all that I was involved with.

If they are governed for 2,600 I really doubt they are 300 hp. I thought we have a conversation about this boat once before or soemone else with a 40' diesel???

Take those pumps off, take them to a good pump shop, set the deliver at the high end of spec and balance them all to flow at the same cc at max rpm. Don't look for total fuel delivery but balnce all the plungers at max. You might have some inbalance at idle or mid-range but topend will be better and set those pumps for at least 2,800 if not 2,900-3,000 or 1,400+ pump speed. If you can't turn up those revs after that your props are just too big!!!

The Cummins spec was never 2,600 for the 300hp it was 2,800 or 3,000??? but not 2,600 that was the 250hp.

The 2 1/2" question was to see if you had 380hp versions that were turned back down. Some had 2 1/2" pipes but all the 3" where 380 hp engines.

Does it look like the engines were green at one time? If they were then those had their pumps taken off by someone in Fl and set to the low end of 300 hp which means 285 hp at best. Remember Cummins spec is 5% + or - so those engines could be anywhere from 285 hp to 315 hp and still be within spec.

Joe Gere
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

I do have a 40. They are side by side. I just put 17K into balance & blue printing my 502's (now 509's) Motors, Assemblies, drives and tabs now color coded to the boat. This hull, #11 (they only made 13 when Super Hero) and this hull was bought at the Miami show, was sent back to the factory, and the entire inside was replaced with swede. One of a kind! Except for 2 hours (half hour each on the dyno included) they have only been used one weekend, our poker run this past week. Dyno sheet shows a 45 degree climb until limiters kicked in at 430 hp each (I replaced everything with stock except roller rockers so limited to 5050 RPM) Just given a job change, or I'm looking, and am selling it. Pictures available, did 69 prior to rebuild but GPS speedo needs work (I have had no time) so I will not quote till then, but never hit the limiters prior and I had 9, yes 9 people on board for the HRPA Rendezvous. New guages, vinyl (with new wood in cockpit, drives in 2002, and 2003, and new assemblies in 2005. The motors were box new in 2001. I will be posting it on the classified thread if any interest. Send a PM if you want pics before I get to it.
91 Super Hawaii
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

If nothing else post a pic here, I'd love to see it. Is it the blue boat or a white one with like yellow and green flower/plant designs on it?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 630 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Kitami's destiny...

Hallo Mr. Gere,
thanks for giving a glimps into the Super (Hero) Hawaii venture. Like I mentioned in a thread back in 2005 I encountered the Super Hero boats at the Los Angeles Boat Show in I believe 1990. I met Kitami's son and he showed me the boats, which I believe were a 46 Monte Carlo and a pleasure SH Euro 38 in white , black and yellow stripes. He also gave me the sales broushures with the blue 40 and red 34 displayed. I've always been a fan of Buzzi's designs and I love the race SH 38. I put a link in to the older thread;
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...87&postcount=8
Part of it says;
"The molds for the 38 are still sitting in the intrepid graveyard. For some reason or another John Michel was really fond of that boat, he still has the 38 SH raceboat as well (powered with 3 seateks). He wont part with either the boat or the molds."
Mr. Gere do You happen to know Mr. Michel and the current status of the molds and his white 38? Seems such a waste to tuck away such a nice design, but he crushed the SH 34 mold also, so I guess anything is possible.
What eventually happened to Mr. Kitami and his son? How did they get involved in the offshore racing scene in the first place? I know they lived partly in Hawaii (I guess that's why the name Super Hawaii) and the son was a big fan of late Tom Gentry, just like myself.
Hope to hear the whole story. Sincerely,
Lars Lindroth.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Registered

I'll answer what I can of what you ask.

I don't recall a boat show in 1990 in Ca maybe in 1991 (doesn't matter)?

Kitami children were very small, the person I think you call his son was actually one of two young men he brought over from Japan to hopefully "run the plant" or become operations in Japan. Unless there was a first marriage that we didn't know about?

John Michel is still Intrepid as far as I know, I saw him at the Miami boat show a few years back?

The 38 molds, why he has them or won't part with them??? They were never his to begin with, so I doubt he would sell them or the agreement was only SH could use them. When Buzzi sold you something there were lots of stipulations with, he wanted control over everything and you to just write checks. It worked for him so far he's done very well, can't fault him.

Kitami started racing in Ca in a outboard powered boat, I believe a Checkmate 28? He was racing with a gentleman out there named Steve Carr who was a neighbor/freind in Hi - very nice man! Steve had a full time job and did it as a hobby when Kitami became full time it was too much for Steve but I later hooked up with Steve again with Cigarette Lady.

I need to run now but will tell you the reason for SH when I get back tonight as I know it and saw it.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

First, Super Hero and Kitami were not about racing, racing was an means to an end - Kitami was a real estate developer first and foremost. Here was the master plan for the whole thing:
- start race team, have many wins get a following in Japan (US was an after thought)
- start pleasure boat company to sell wana be Super Hero's boats in Japan and of course US also
- start diesel engine company because Japanese want to buy packages not peices like in US ie Cigarette boat, Merc drives, Hawk engines need all Super Hero brand throughout if possible.
- acquire marina in HI to host driving school to cater to wealthy Asians
- create 3 levels of driving skills that require 3 separtate trips to HI to attain pro-status
- crate 3 levels of school boats identified by color ie Red Boat, Blue Boat & White Boat being highest level
- acquire hotel across from marina in HI so pupils in school have somewhere to stay and can bring family for vacations and get a taste of the "good life"
- establish club med type resorts around Asian rim that feature ability to rent/include use of "White" boats while at these resorts
- these resorts were to be memeber only clubs with very high fees. In 1989 is when the news broke that wealthy Japanese business men were paying $1 million to join country clubs there - it should work for boat/resort clubs too?

That is what Super Hero was all about, not racing it was a business venture and there were many turns within that plan from Patrol boats to acquirng Intrepid because now the Japanese needed fishing boats, to people telling him the market was here in the US, you don't need Japan. Buy a marina here in Fl because we need that now - on and on and on, I felt sorry for him.

We had several meetings with Andera Bonomi (Seatek), Cummins (Jim Shipp VP Marine) about all our work with Cummins and that hot rod Cummins were a more viable product than Seatek could ever be. This is when Seatek needed to have a V-12 or else doom and gloom. We (US) all felt the future was in small bore not big bore products. Buzzi killed all those attempts at partnering because at that point he, Buzzi would have no say and no purpose, you can't blame him?

It goes on forever without a happy ending for everyone except John Michel. He made a better deal than all of us and he made out, hats off to him!

In the end I don't know what really happened? I know his lawyer and I agreed I should opt out rather than fight and maybe have trouble later on because I would have been financially responsible as well at some point for some things. Looking back, Cary did me right!

That's the 30,000' from my eyes,
Joe Gere

Quick Reply: Super Hawaii

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.