Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again >

Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again

Notices

Kiekhafer Aeromarine III in water again

Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep the updates coming Joern - there are many fans of your boat out here!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 36widebody
Thank you Lars,

Its a small world and we might do a quick trip to Sweden and Strømstad later in the summer(if the boat and engines survive Across skagerack 12.th July).

We are getting ready for the race and the engines enters dyno room tomorrow, more on the results later.

Take care, best regards Joern
Bring it to Cowes!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second that - we really do need to see the boat race at Cowes please Joern..........hey, it's only money!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts

Hope the dyno testing went well Jørn. Glad that You and Your Team is well prepared.

I'm certain the boat will be in shape to spoil the Swedes with it's presence later on. Lykke til !!!

Lars.

Last edited by larslindroth; 07-03-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Registered

The Classic Offshore Powerboat Club GB have extended an invitation to Joern to bring her to the Classic Rally in Cowes same weekend as the Cowes Torquay..would like to introduce him to Charles Gill who won the CTC the in boat when she was called I LIKE IT TOO...plus Mike Bonttoft will be there with Martini and it would be good to see 2 first class boats together after so many years..
good luck in the Skagerak let us know how it goes!!!!
Mike
owner of first CT WINNER Tommy Sopwith's THUNDERBOLT 1961

Last edited by THUNDERBOLT TS; 07-05-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:28 AM
MF
Registered

Nobody wnats to restore the first dry martini to take the boat to these kind of powerboat rallyes ?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Joern....now that summer is over, HORBA will be doing some revamping of the website and we plan on showing the great job that you have done here.

HORBA

www.historicraceboats.com
charlie clear your mailbox...thx, rm
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered

Well guys, time for a wrap of our efforts to race in Tvestrand.

We did not make it to friday morning due to engine problems. Basically I screwed up (and I can blame no other........) upon assembly of one of the new 540's with Kiekhaefer intake manifolds converted to EFI with Accel DFI 7+ system. When installing the AFR 335 Magnum heads and the Comp cams mechanical roller and Elite lifters, I primed the motor without push rods installed with a electric drill and the priming tool thru the distributor hole. Ths was enough for 3 of the lifter to lift off the lifter-cup from the seat(they are only held in place by an O-ring). When I then installed the pushrods and set the clearances 3 were totally off. Once upon the dyno we could not get the engine to run proberly and I suspected the EFI setup on the old manifold was the problem and installed a high rise Dart manifold and a 1100 Carb, the motor was better b ut still not good enough. Yes I know we should heard valvetrain noice and we did, but the insane sound thru the 8 butteflies were fooling us big time.

Anyway we got it running on the water on saturday(a day too late.........) and I still need to do some adjustements before beeing happy. Damn I will not give up before we have the Kiekhafer setup with electronic EFI running properly.

Another experience we had with the Kiekhaefer manifold was idle speed, due to ecessive clearances on the butteflies mainly around the shaft area we could not get lower than 1600 rpms idling. I assume with the mechanical injectors above the butterflies it would be easier to control. Gene and Richie may fill in what they did during the glory days, or I just assume idle quality was not a question?

As of participating in UK and Cowe later this year, we are still working to make this happend.

Best regards Joern
Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts

Thank You Joern for the complete story on your struggles to get her fit for fight. Wish things come together and that You get a chance to run her among the Limeys this year.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Okay, found the thread and I see the guy is in Norway and not Sweden.

I will pass the information on the the original owner and see if this was the boat he was hoping to find.

Wrong boat, he was looking for Aeromarine I not Aeromarine III. I did find the right boat and put the two parties in touch with each other. I hope they can make a deal.

Last edited by Top Banana; 07-16-2014 at 12:22 PM.