Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did the "AJAC" come from anyway?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wstultz
I don't think this is the Hawk your looking for but it is one of the baddest pictures I've ever seen. SWEET RIDE!!!
Originally Posted by flying fish
From the fish files the following

BOAT 1
American Eagle 76-77
Natural Light 77
Ajac Hawk 78
Panama Hawk 82

BOAT 2
Ajac Hawk 79-81
Cigarette Hawk 82
Super Brut 83

Boat 1-35ft,Boat 2-37.5ft

Didn`t know Mystifier raced in 94 & 97 was Ajac Hawk,but which one?

Charlie McCarthy is the all seeing eye on the change over between Boats 1 & 2 as recorded in a previous posting.

Will post Mystifier pic in next post.(Have to reduce it to attach)
Great shot .. Thanks wstultz, not AJAC HAWK boat, but HAWK nonetheless So, there were 2 AJAC boats a 35 and 37.6?? One is MYSTIFIER and that was 37.6 boat?? Charlie McCarthy concur? Do we know the whereabouts of the 35? Thanks flying fish!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ajac hawk

Where did the "AJAC" come from anyway?
Jerry Jacoby owned a transmission shop. Ajac transmissions
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tms1155
Jerry Jacoby owned a transmission shop. Ajac transmissions
I appreciate the clarification. I've always loved the boat but always wondered where the Ajac came from.
Attached Thumbnails Mystifier -- AJAC HAWK -- 38 (37.6) pics and info?? Hollywood, FL-ph-g023-400.jpg  
Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate the clarification. I've always loved the boat but always wondered where the Ajac came from.
ARLENE JACOBY = AJAC.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ajac Transmissions as well - that was his business back then

Phil
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
ARLENE JACOBY = AJAC.
Bingo......one of the all time best ever videos of offshore racing, from the 70's and 80's, was Phil Lewis of Needle Nose Films doing an interview with Arlene on what she thought about offshore racing.

Meanwhile at the back of the camera shot is Jerry who is obviously out of earshot and is havng his own conversation with some other people......all of a sudden he notices the crowd around Phil and Arlene and they are quite amused....so he comes wandering down to hear Arlene end her interview with something like this....."Damn fools is what they all are. They are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to run around like little boys racing other little boys, to see who has the biggest ego at the end of the day.....the biggest waste of money and time that was ever created."

Big Seas has the former Needle Nose tapes now....I hope they put that one out soon.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by flying fish
From the fish files the following

BOAT 1
American Eagle 76-77
Natural Light 77
Ajac Hawk 78
Panama Hawk 82

BOAT 2
Ajac Hawk 79-81
Cigarette Hawk 82
Super Brut 83

Boat 1-35ft,Boat 2-37.5ft

Didn`t know Mystifier raced in 94 & 97 was Ajac Hawk,but which one?

Charlie McCarthy is the all seeing eye on the change over between Boats 1 & 2 as recorded in a previous posting.

Will post Mystifier pic in next post.(Have to reduce it to attach)

Actually the first 37.6 (Boat 2) could be considered a 78 model as it was first shown to the public in December of 1978 at Mar del Plata Argentina.

Jerry and Bobby Saccenti brought the boat down to the World Championship races there and unwrapped it at the Naval base that we used for the pit area. The bottom photo that I took that weekend, shows that the "official" designation for the boat was the 37.6. This was years before it was ever called a Top Gun. Look close at the photo and you can still see the plastic under the boat that it was wrapped in for the trip.

The only boat that could hold it's own with it, was the new Scarab that Richie and Bobby Biech built for Gentry....American Eagle. Two new boats and both trend setters in their own right. One photo shows the boat being lifted off the trailer ready for launching, the other photos shows Richie, Bobby and me in the cockpit before the race.

It was a great time to be an offshore racer, it seemed like every race something new was being unwrapped for all to see.
Attached Thumbnails Mystifier -- AJAC HAWK -- 38 (37.6) pics and info?? Hollywood, FL-offshore-history-54.jpg   Mystifier -- AJAC HAWK -- 38 (37.6) pics and info?? Hollywood, FL-offshore-history-55.jpg   Mystifier -- AJAC HAWK -- 38 (37.6) pics and info?? Hollywood, FL-file0350.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 10-18-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Bingo......one of the all time best ever videos of offshore racing, from the 70's and 80's, was Phil Lewis of Needle Nose Films doing an interview with Arlene on what she thought about offshore racing.

Meanwhile at the back of the camera shot is Jerry who is obviously out of earshot and is havng his own conversation with some other people......all of a sudden he notices the crowd around Phil and Arlene and they are quite amused....so he comes wandering down to hear Arlene end her interview with something like this....."Damn fools is what they all are. They are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to run around like little boys racing other little boys, to see who has the biggest ego at the end of the day.....the biggest waste of money and time that was ever created."

Big Seas has the former Needle Nose tapes now....I hope they put that one out soon.
Charlie - Priceless words that were unexpected -Arlene was really on her game then. Speaking of Argentina- do you remember the kids with the machine guns - and remember how deep the water dropped in the Submarine Base at low tide ?

All wonderful memories - even the Hotel ontop of the cliff - overlooking Mar Del Plata - one thing I wont forget is when the plane took off from Mar Del Plata to return to BA, they over booked it - and people were standing in the asile as it took off- !

be well - PHIL
Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
Charlie - Priceless words that were unexpected -Arlene was really on her game then. Speaking of Argentina- do you remember the kids with the machine guns - and remember how deep the water dropped in the Submarine Base at low tide ?

All wonderful memories - even the Hotel ontop of the cliff - overlooking Mar Del Plata - one thing I wont forget is when the plane took off from Mar Del Plata to return to BA, they over booked it - and people were standing in the asile as it took off- !

be well - PHIL
Hi Phil: I was on that flight as well with Bobby Beich, my wife Debbie at the time and Bob`s wife. I actually had someone sit on my lap, and yes there were people standing in the isles, riding in the cockpit etc. Aerolineas Argentinas, if I`m not mistaken I think there may have even been a couple of live chickens. That ride was scarier than any boat race, AHHH those were the days. We led that race at the start, rougher than hell, then are new boat broke and we almost sunk, we were going under just as we came to the crane, next race that boat ran was pt. Pleasant with Kieth Hazell, and the nose blew off it before the start, Guess it was fractured more than we could see. Always good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Quick Reply: Mystifier -- AJAC HAWK -- 38 (37.6) pics and info?? Hollywood, FL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.