Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig >

Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Notices

Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
James Caan and Jeff S's Dad co owned a 38 scarab, It had a grey/black fade paint job on the sides and deck.
Yes, that was the boat I was referring to earlier in the post. Grey and burgandy and yes..black fade. The boat hit something and the hull/deck joint started to come apart.

Powerplay 33 is the same as the Cobra 32. Not the Coyote. Coyote 38 and Cobra 38 are the same... which is where the Sonic came from. JCS had cobra and was put out of business by a lawsuite brought on by former racer Rocky Aoiki when his 38 Cobra came apart in Calif.

Pictured below is:

The smith brothers with Jay Buscigleo in Renegade at a race we did for MDA in Miami Aug. '81.

Tommy from chief in a 32' Cobra with the NEW deck that PowerPlay modified slightly.

My good friend David Ross in Miss Y-100 in another 32' with the new deck style.
Attached Thumbnails Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig-132.jpg   Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig-cheif%252520boat.jpg   Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig-miss%2520y-100.jpg  

Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Registered

Ha, I tought Jeff S to drive a car (scariest F'ing thing ever) He Borrowed the maids car and insisted on driving out of turberrys parking lot, having never drove anything before it was kinda scary. Steve weintraub bought our 16 Manta and put a 2.4 merc on it, the only person who could really crack it open was steve Curtis, he's friggin fearless. Mid ocean, did you dad have a Cig at turnberry? did your hang out at cougar as a Kid?

Sadly Steve W. took his own life about 10 or so years ago. My last dealing with him was to pop a mold off of his 23' Sanger, stretching it to 26. As soon as I gave the boat back he made the same deal to Randy Rabe at Rabco behind my back, using the same plug work we built for that boat. Randy made a 24 and his was a better running boat. 3' was too much.

No cig at Turnberry. My Uncle was the Dockmaster for many years.

YES.. Cougar. I knew Steve C. when he was in his teens. His sister Lah(sp) also. Those early days listening to Brownie tell his stories.. Alan was a major fixture in the development of my love for this sport and some-one I respect more than most in the industry. Jerry gets his money worth everyday with his imput and years of experience.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Other boats and people: Elliott Sutton with the 46` Cougar, Michel Maynard with Cat man the Midnight cat with 4 300 merc`s. Richie ??????? 37` Cig with Hawk 572`s that I built when I was at Hawk. another 37` Cig same motors for the NY atty. Murry Eisen. I also built the Aronow cat for Pumpian and Soffer with the twin Merlin diesels called Non Of Your Business when I had my rigging shop Champion Marine off Ives Dairy Road, the old Popeye`s shop. Like we say those were the days, Books can be written about the episodes that went on around North Miami Club Scene. Cricket, Jockey, Palm Bay, etc. Good Times, Actually met my wife at Turnberry Disco. 25 years ago.
Well the NY boat show was prior to 25 years ago, so the timeline is safe....

As well as race, Elliott used to run poker runs with us, seemed to be a real nice guy. We would run on my friend Bill's 35 Cigarette Dol-R-Bill then his 38 Lethal Weapon. If I recall correctly, None Of Your Business came after the Gary Hart / Donna Rice scandal on Don Soffer's Monkey Business. I still have a Monkey Business polo floating arond somewhere.

Are you still with the company that you were filmed in the Don Aronow A&E documentary?

And speaking of clubs back then; don't forget 'G Whiz' on Biscayne. The VIP room up there always had some memorable characters present.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Mid Ocean

"The smith brothers with Jay Buscigleo in Renegade at a race we did for MDA in Miami Aug. '81. "

Wow another name from the past. In the earlier post where i mentioned to Ritchie about the NY boat show, Jay Busigleo(sp) flew up with us in our friend Bill's Rockwell Commander 900. It was Jay who introduced me to Ritchie at the boat show.

About 5 years later Jay, Bill, and I were test driving a 50' Hawk on Lake Maule and we went past the concrete houseboat 'Bankshot' of Jay's old partner (name escapes me, but he sold me my first 28 Cigarette in 1981) and I asked Jay why it was all run down. Jay told me he died of a brain tumor.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Sadly Steve W. took his own life about 10 or so years ago. My last dealing with him was to pop a mold off of his 23' Sanger, stretching it to 26. As soon as I gave the boat back he made the same deal to Randy Rabe at Rabco behind my back, using the same plug work we built for that boat. Randy made a 24 and his was a better running boat. 3' was too much.

No cig at Turnberry. My Uncle was the Dockmaster for many years.

YES.. Cougar. I knew Steve C. when he was in his teens. His sister Lah(sp) also. Those early days listening to Brownie tell his stories.. Alan was a major fixture in the development of my love for this sport and some-one I respect more than most in the industry. Jerry gets his money worth everyday with his imput and years of experience.
I Remember the sanger, wasn't he planning on racing it in Ft lauderdale and smashed the bottom out of it? I Probably remember you from somewhere, especially if you hung out at cougar, Brownie (my Father) is truely an Icon in the sport and the most fun person anyone could hang out with. I remember LA Curtis, I tried My hardest to "Hit That" But she was to infactuated with Richie C (from fayva) Great Times back then.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered

More on the 38's. Here is a pic of Rocky's boat(leased from a guy in Detroit). The boat, in it's smashed state, was parked in front of the entrance to the Miami Boat Show as a further slap in the face to JCS.

Joel Halpren in his 38. He was later killed in a 38' cougar that I ended up buying from his estate. That cougar was sold to the Cabrerras and then sold the the Roberts who won the worlds in 86 or 87 as AJ jr and Mr. Roberts.
Attached Thumbnails Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig-scan00474.jpg   Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig-beep%2520beep%2520cobra.jpg  

Last edited by MidOcean; 01-29-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Registered

I Remember the sanger, wasn't he planning on racing it in Ft lauderdale and smashed the bottom out of it? I Probably remember you from somewhere, especially if you hung out at cougar, Brownie (my Father) is truely an Icon in the sport and the most fun person anyone could hang out with. I remember LA Curtis, I tried My hardest to "Hit That" But she was to infactuated with Richie C (from fayva) Great Times back then.
The whole La/ Richie C saga brings back memories. Your Dad is the real deal. I am trying to find him something to replace the boat that sank. Scott Mander and Intense Marine .... up here now.. we all talk the old days on a regular basis.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered

Jay and I were both directors on the Offshore Commish. back in the early 80's. We shared an office at Harbor Town in 83 I think. Jay has done some cool things including the marketing of David Aronow's 32 he built for a while using the old 32' Midnight Express hull mold barrowed from Byng.

Jay and Don were close. I remember sitting w/ Jay and Don on the back deck of Tugboat Annies talking about things that happened long before I was around.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've asked this before, but do any of you guys remember a black 35 Cig named 'SAMARI' from around 80?
Owned by Bennet Modell(sp?)
Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Jay and I were both directors on the Offshore Commish. back in the early 80's. We shared an office at Harbor Town in 83 I think. Jay has done some cool things including the marketing of David Aronow's 32 he built for a while using the old 32' Midnight Express hull mold barrowed from Byng.

Jay and Don were close. I remember sitting w/ Jay and Don on the back deck of Tugboat Annies talking about things that happened long before I was around.
What was his old partners name that had Bankshot? He also had a supercharged 55 - 57 T-Bird in Harbortown's showroom.

Quick Reply: Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.