Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic

Notices

Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic

Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic

1981 Cape Coral Classic sponsored by Sutphen Powerboats
Attached Thumbnails Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic-cr-gr-start-b-w-1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gbochis
1981 Cape Coral Classic sponsored by Sutphen Powerboats
Very cool! Never seen that pic! The top boat is my old Banana, M666 "Hells Banana" One of only two twin engine 24's ever made. I sold it 15 yrs or so ago to a guy on Lake Winnipesaukee. He's still got it.

Kurt
Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
skrap
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look closely, you can see that the pelican has a "birds eye view" of the start.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a 27 Signature race boat for sale that I'm considering. The owner doesn't know the first thing about the boat. I'm guessing it is either the "Crazy Greek" or "Aft R U", the only other 27 race Signature (that I know of) is "Lady L", and thats being restore in North/South Carolina. Does anyone know of any other 27 Signature Race boats?
Gbochis, any idea where the old Crazy Greek is now??
Bob
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
There is a 27 Signature race boat for sale that I'm considering. The owner doesn't know the first thing about the boat. I'm guessing it is either the "Crazy Greek" or "Aft R U", the only other 27 race Signature (that I know of) is "Lady L", and thats being restore in North/South Carolina. Does anyone know of any other 27 Signature Race boats?
Bob
Fast Shafts,
I rememeber two my-self, one from New Jersey called
"Dynamite" twin 500h.p. Small Blocks. The other was
here in Ft. Lauderdale, an all white with red and blue
stripes called "The Negotiator" twin big blocks. Both boats
were three man race.
Crash-Box
p.s. Laurel Harbor Marina still around ? Or is it condo's
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Default fast shafts

Bob
Fast Shafts- I tracked the boat down about 8 years ago. I was going to have it restored for my fathers 60th birthday. It was in Labelle Fl. In a cattle field, and it was full of water. It was in horrific shape. Restoration would have been a nightmare. There were quite a few Signature 27 made. You still see them pop up once and a while, but they are all a lot of work.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Bob
Here are a few more pic's of the Aft R U" and the OSO link. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...ml#post2147263
In the 80's I believe the boat was raced by the Ohio race team Cheap Thrills, as I remember she raced in the 1986 Key West Worlds. Today ??????/
Attached Thumbnails Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic-aft-r-u-too1-full.jpg   Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic-aft-r-u-too6-full.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

H2O,
Thanks for posting those pics. I'm driving out to western NY next week to a look at (purchase?) the 27 Signature. My gut feeling is it is the Aft R U boat.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Aft r u too. flipped in the Barnegat Bay race & the driver was killed. I think it was 1978. He tried cutting across the wake of the Crazy Greek and over it went.
I was in that race & I have a vhs tape of the wreck somewhere.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget empty pockets raced in the early 90's. Red boat with twin small blocks the guys were out of MD i think last race boat built by signature. Bad crash at the key west worlds end over end. The boat sank and was salvaged and traded back to Signature for a race layup 38. That boat still sits unfinished in a shop in MD. waiting to be put together. Empty pockets was then put back together and converted to twin o/b's and became a pleasure boat for the last owner of signature boats. I use to run it for him then he sold it to a guy on Nantucket and i continued to run it for him till he went to jail. The boat just sits and is falling apart now.
Attached Thumbnails Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic-38%2520sig.jpg  

Last edited by oldschoolfan; 03-03-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Classic 80's shot from the Cape Coral Classic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.