Magnum 28 - freeboard ok ?

Notices

Magnum 28 - freeboard ok ?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 28 - freeboard ok ?

Hallo together,

my Name is Michael and I'm writing from switzerland. So I'm sorry for possible mistakes in the text. I owned several boats during the last 20 years so I'm not a beginner. Now I've got the chance to buy a 28 magnum maltese. I like that old school style and I think she's fast enough with twin Merc 350 to have some fun. But to my mind she's got a really low freeboard. I looked at the "search", but didn't find any post concerning problems with this low freeboard at the magnum. I'd like to drive with the magnum at the mediteranean sea and I can imagine that i can get serious trouble when rough water is coming from behind (of course not when driving) or I've to drive backwards in rough water. Does anybody here have experience with the low freeboard at the magnum 28 - is it a "no go" or shouln't I worry about that ?

Thanks Michael
Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

There was an issue with the early 28's, the vents on the transom would take in water. A few of the boats sank. Factory sent out some rubber pieces to close them up and new vents to go on top of the deck.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Registered

Hi Marc,
thanks for your quick answer, I'll check it out, but she's 30 years old, so I think the vents are close. I'm afraid of taking water over the low freeboard generally.
Thanks Michael
Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
There was an issue with the early 28's, the vents on the transom would take in water. A few of the boats sank. Factory sent out some rubber pieces to close them up and new vents to go on top of the deck.
here's your old magnum.
Attached Thumbnails Magnum 28 - freeboard ok ?-magg.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I blew a drive last winter in my 27 Mag about 1 mile from the ramp with 3ft seas and thought no problem,I'll back it back.Not a good idea,every time i put it in reveres the stern whent down and about 3 ft of water came over the hatch.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

As Magnum owner this was always a concern, but I never had one sink. But friends that have had Fountains & Formulas had sinkings if they anchored off the stern. Here on Lake St Clair we had a 27' Magnum Sedan sink when running to fast in reverse, killing one who was trapped in the cabin. I believe you just have to use caution with any low freeboard performance boat.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Registered

Hallo Mel, Hallo h2oboater,

thanks for your answers. Unfortunately you aprroved my doubt in this boat and in lower freeboards generally. So I have to keep on searching. If I've a new Boatin my mind i'll post ist.

Thanks Michael