Kustom enterprises boat builders. >

Kustom enterprises boat builders.

Notices

Kustom enterprises boat builders.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Speed step

The best boats ever built but I am biased.

I am the late Tony P's son so I can give you a little bit of info on the company.

The company originally started on 28th St. in the old area between Hollywood & Hallandale, next to Slater Battery.

Before building it was a rigging company and was started by a couple of Gara Boats cast offs, Tony Panetta & Barry Cordingly. I was in middle or high school so I am not exactly sure how or when but eventually Barry left and moved up north somewhere and Tony started to produce the Kustoms.

We used to call it builders row. There was Kustom, Action Marine, Cary, Manta Marine, Knocky's Props, B & G Marine, Guido's and a lot of riggers.

The 29' was the first Kustom model. Believe it or not Hollywood PD had a couple that they used to run that were seized.

All of the Kustom boats were hand laid and extra heavy. While the 29' was a great offshore fishing boat it grew quite popular with the weed runners of that time because it was so strong & stable.

You don't see many anymore but if you do if it was maintained it is probably still see worthy.

The speed step or box as mentioned here was used on some of the 29's but mainly used on the Kustom 25'. That boat was actually a mold from Action Marine in Hollywood. We would build some as a Kustom & some as an Action.

Kustom also put out an 17' model which I believe was originally a Pantera speed boat. A couple were made originally were the deck was cut out to make it a center console. An open deck was later built but and it drew less water than a Hughes or Dolphin but not many were sold.

The company re-located to Homestead for a few years in the mid 80's but Tony eventually closed down and Action Marine ended up with the molds. I am not sure what happened to them after that.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pannick
The best boats ever built but I am biased.

I am the late Tony P's son so I can give you a little bit of info on the company.

The company originally started on 28th St. in the old area between Hollywood & Hallandale, next to Slater Battery.

Before building it was a rigging company and was started by a couple of Gara Boats cast offs, Tony Panetta & Barry Cordingly. I was in middle or high school so I am not exactly sure how or when but eventually Barry left and moved up north somewhere and Tony started to produce the Kustoms.

We used to call it builders row. There was Kustom, Action Marine, Cary, Manta Marine, Knocky's Props, B & G Marine, Guido's and a lot of riggers.

The 29' was the first Kustom model. Believe it or not Hollywood PD had a couple that they used to run that were seized.

All of the Kustom boats were hand laid and extra heavy. While the 29' was a great offshore fishing boat it grew quite popular with the weed runners of that time because it was so strong & stable.

You don't see many anymore but if you do if it was maintained it is probably still see worthy.

The speed step or box as mentioned here was used on some of the 29's but mainly used on the Kustom 25'. That boat was actually a mold from Action Marine in Hollywood. We would build some as a Kustom & some as an Action.

Kustom also put out an 17' model which I believe was originally a Pantera speed boat. A couple were made originally were the deck was cut out to make it a center console. An open deck was later built but and it drew less water than a Hughes or Dolphin but not many were sold.

The company re-located to Homestead for a few years in the mid 80's but Tony eventually closed down and Action Marine ended up with the molds. I am not sure what happened to them after that.
Always wondered what happened to Tony and Barry. They were very good friends, we go back along ways, I used to see those guys all the time from the Cigarette days, Barry C. was an excellent T-man, Gave Gentry his first win in offshore 36` cig named INNERSPACE . Sorry to hear tony is no longer with us. I also ran into Tony Azzarra few years back in a convelescent home unfortunatly passed away few months later. Good to see you still like the offshore, and hello blackjack , been awhile as well all the best from Richie Powers
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

One boat that you may want to look at is the Manta 30. It looks in pictures very, very close to the Kustom. Now I have only seen it in pictures but Tommy's Manta Marine shop was right down from Action Marine Hollywood.

Barney from Action was the last person that I knew of that had dad's 29 mould before he closed up his place.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered

Hey 7xchamp who are you? I may remember you from my youth days.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pannick
Hey 7xchamp who are you? I may remember you from my youth days.
Throttle Man Extrodanair--------> Richie Powers
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

If that is Richie Powers he should remember me. Fastdonzi who are you?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
Throttle Man Extrodanair--------> Richie Powers
Okay, who is fastdonzi?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Brownies youngest Son
Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Registered

Here's a video ZipZap caught of my little brother running one of Uncle Tony P.'s 1977 28' Kustoms. See 3:55 at youtube below. He bought and restored it a couple years ago. Great boat.

w w w .y o u t u b e . c o m /watch?v=l_BVtpySwVI

I had one of the 17' skiffs, the Squeaky III for several years - bought it from Aunt Sue shortly after Uncle Tony passed. Gave it to my brother (in the video) who passed it back to Squeaky (cousin Laura) last year. Glad we could keep it in the family.

I really miss Tony and his stories. My dad and I loved that man.

Mikey