Lil Abner, 30' Mirage on Ebay >

Lil Abner, 30' Mirage on Ebay

Notices

Lil Abner, 30' Mirage on Ebay

Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
I do as well. The boat got as cheap as $12K if I remember right, I don't know why the Seller would put the price at $14K on Ebay, maybe just reaching a bit at first to see if it can bring a higher price in a national market.

That said, the biggest problem with the boat is that it runs small blocks. I know they can be built, and I know that it is a lightweight, 29' boat, but I'd still prefer some BBCs in it if I were seriously looking at it.
Having run Lil Rhino with both big and small blocks, I would have to say that the 29 runs better with small. Just my opinion...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26MartiniMan
Its been on Craigslist for WAY too long
In today's market the boat is worth 8k on the high side. Almost half of what he's asking.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Having run Lil Rhino with both big and small blocks, I would have to say that the 29 runs better with small. Just my opinion...
Really? It seems like you're so limited on your upside though (if you want to work on it). Do you feel the same about a boat that is modified (aluminum heads/intakes/exh. saving weight on those BBC's)?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Really? It seems like you're so limited on your upside though (if you want to work on it). Do you feel the same about a boat that is modified (aluminum heads/intakes/exh. saving weight on those BBC's)?
sure.. spend 8k on intakes, heads, copper gaskets...etc... at the end of the day, you're even more upside down...

Also remember that "Rhino" was a staggered boat with # 2's. I just loved the ride with the small blocks... The boat was re-rigged with a pair of 454's from Pete Van Kirk and Joe Dabellos(Offshore Marine before Ron Doller bought it). We ran the boat in the Islamorada race in 85... she was a real pig..
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered

sure.. spend 8k on intakes, heads, copper gaskets...etc... at the end of the day, you're even more upside down...

Also remember that "Rhino" was a staggered boat with # 2's. I just loved the ride with the small blocks... The boat was re-rigged with a pair of 454's from Pete Van Kirk and Joe Dabellos(Offshore Marine before Ron Doller bought it). We ran the boat in the Islamorada race in 85... she was a real pig..
That makes more sense. I wasn't getting into price/cost, I was more talking about practicality and "getting it the way I would want it" if I was seriously considering purchasing it (which I 'm not). It just seems like with those boat anchors back there (TRS outdrives) it should have some BBC's in it to go anywhere. I know our 26' Nova with similar power wasn't a speed demon, and that thing had alphas, I believe.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

That makes more sense. I wasn't getting into price/cost, I was more talking about practicality and "getting it the way I would want it" if I was seriously considering purchasing it (which I 'm not). It just seems like with those boat anchors back there (TRS outdrives) it should have some BBC's in it to go anywhere. I know our 26' Nova with similar power wasn't a speed demon, and that thing had alphas, I believe.
And with that you have hit the nail on the head... I don't know of too many 29's with bravos... eliminate the transmission and the 40 hp loss per side they take... less weight in the back... maybe big blocks would work better then.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

------Wow,,,MidOcean,,,"Joe Dabellos" Theres a name from the past. I think its the same guy and old friend from Ft. Lauderdale that used to own the "Vette Shop". I did a lot of business with him back in the day and knew he went into the boat biz. Do you happen to know whats happened to him???........Bill S
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

In today's market the boat is worth 8k on the high side. Almost half of what he's asking.
I really like older Mirages but I agree. Maybe with a current survey
it would be worth more but seeing as last time it was surveyed was 7 years ago doesnt help its cause.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I do as well. The boat got as cheap as $12K if I remember right, I don't know why the Seller would put the price at $14K on Ebay, maybe just reaching a bit at first to see if it can bring a higher price in a national market.

That said, the biggest problem with the boat is that it runs small blocks. I know they can be built, and I know that it is a lightweight, 29' boat, but I'd still prefer some BBCs in it if I were seriously looking at it.
I have had two Mirages, the first one with the small block 280 trs package, and the one I have now has the 330hp bigblocks. Both of them will run about the same speed, around 65mph, but the bigblock setup with more torque dose throttle up faster.. My old Mirage is now being restored with bigblocks now & Bravo drives , will see if it makes a big change when done.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

If you like this era of offshore racing you will probably enjoy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Mid-Ocean-T-Ra...541091&sr=1-11
I hear this book will send Sheere Terror down your spine and keep you Wideawake.

Last edited by h2oboater; 02-24-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.