1967-1968 Aronow's boats >

1967-1968 Aronow's boats

Notices

1967-1968 Aronow's boats

Old 04-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
To Mario, Jake Trotter was Prez of Magnum, and Jim Breuil was sales manager starting in late '66. I worked the 1968 Miami Boat Show for Magnum and Aronow while I was tooling up Nova Marine, and all we had to show was the Magnum Missile and the Magnum Marauder, both O/B's. The 27' came about the same time. I do remember a couple of big-breasted girls, though.........
Brownie, it has been fun and very informative ready the threads you have posted.

I am seeking some, any, information and pictures about the 27' Magnum Sport I have owned since the early 90s. It was issued a serial by Nevada in 1990 as a Magnum 28, it is still called "The Boss", Lee Holman of Holman-Moody say it was his fathers boat and it was kept in Long Beach at the Bill Stroppe (H-M West) for the West Coast Races. It has fresh H-M Boss 351s and race modified Volvo 270 w 145:1 drives and Lee says these are the 351 H.P. endurance motors of 1970-1 (he said they only made about 50 of these engines?). Lee said this was one of a few hulls given to H-M to zero an open invoice for engines sold to Don A?

I have taped it and I get 27' 7" including the rub-rail. It has only a thin foam pad on the four 60 gallon aluminum fuel tanks, all under the deck. and the deck is exactly like the "Anaconda" and it is painted the same as well. The deck appears to be thin layers of fiberglass separated a half inch by honey-combed Nomex? It is equipped with 4" docking lights and minimal creature comforts. I weighed this boat and the two axle trailer it came with and it was 6100# the trailer was 1200# so this is a very light boat...?

I hope you know what year/serial it might be as I cannot find much on it and H-M does not have much either.

I am restoring this boat and would like to have the info the do a good restoration...I will put the turbines that I considered for this hull and mentioned elsewhere in another hull.

Delta5 702-369-1966 [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails 1967-1968 Aronow's boats-magnun-27-boss-09-01-09-064-2-.jpg   1967-1968 Aronow's boats-bossas.jpg   1967-1968 Aronow's boats-magnun-27-boss-09-01-09-064-9-.jpg  

1967-1968 Aronow's boats-magnun-27-boss-09-01-09-064-11-.jpg   1967-1968 Aronow's boats-magnun-27-boss-09-01-09-064.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta5
Brownie, it has been fun and very informative ready the threads you have posted.

I am seeking some, any, information and pictures about the 27' Magnum Sport I have owned since the early 90s. It was issued a serial by Nevada in 1990 as a Magnum 28, it is still called "The Boss", Lee Holman of Holman-Moody say it was his fathers boat and it was kept in Long Beach at the Bill Stroppe (H-M West) for the West Coast Races. It has fresh H-M Boss 351s and race modified Volvo 270 w 145:1 drives and Lee says these are the 351 H.P. endurance motors of 1970-1 (he said they only made about 50 of these engines?). Lee said this was one of a few hulls given to H-M to zero an open invoice for engines sold to Don A?

I have taped it and I get 27' 7" including the rub-rail. It has only a thin foam pad on the four 60 gallon aluminum fuel tanks, all under the deck. and the deck is exactly like the "Anaconda" and it is painted the same as well. The deck appears to be thin layers of fiberglass separated a half inch by honey-combed Nomex? It is equipped with 4" docking lights and minimal creature comforts. I weighed this boat and the two axle trailer it came with and it was 6100# the trailer was 1200# so this is a very light boat...?

I hope you know what year/serial it might be as I cannot find much on it and H-M does not have much either.

I am restoring this boat and would like to have the info the do a good restoration...I will put the turbines that I considered for this hull and mentioned elsewhere in another hull.

cool engine,Buzzer

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you're putting the H&Ms back in it...that's a cool boat with some unique history.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 28' single engine

Sorry guys but backing to the thread and the 28' single engine to compare these two photos dismantle the argument that Aronow in 1968 changed the deck of the boat and with it won the Hennessy Cup, the same race which had long dueled with Odell Lewis the year before.
Probably Hugh Holmes should be the current owner of that 28' was misled by the caption of the photo that I believe is published in the famous book that Michael Aronow has dedicated to his father.
The first image is a frame from "Sunward Run" in 1967 where Don Aronow and Knocky House are in the 28' single engine during the Long Beach-San Francisco race in 1967. The second pic is on "The King of the Thunderboat Row" where is said that during the Long Beach-San Francisco in 1968.
As we can see are two images of the same event: the Long Beach-San Francisco race, 1967.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Delta5

I went out to check the measurements as I am really puzzeled about all these different hull sizes!! The overall length of 27'7" is a centerline hull measurement includes the exhaust outlets but not the drives. the fiberglass hull is 26'11" including the stainless flat round rub-rail. Nevada called it a length 28' Magnum year unk.

Again the deck looks exactly like the "Anaconda" deck with the compass in front of the Windscreen, the large round hole and the rectangle stainless hatch out front for the anchor.

Delta5
Attached Thumbnails 1967-1968 Aronow's boats-magnun-27-boss-09-01-09-064-5-.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Delta 5...your boat is a 27 Sport.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Re: The Boss. I do not remember that boat. I am sure that Lee is correct. I was GM of Holman Moody Marine in the early 70's, and chief engineer at Magnum from '77 thru '80. Remember that Aronow owned Magnum at least twice,and maybe three times. Anything is possible. Also, when Apeco owned Magnum, they made 27' and 28' models. Only problem? They only had one hull mold! No blocking, no nothing. They put a flat deck on, and called it a 27, and a taller deck and called it a 28'. Remember that the original Schoell boat was exactly 28' 0", and you can interpolate the approximate length as the gunwale got lower and lower.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brownie,

When you worked for H/M, do you recall doing a short run of Chevrolet 302's for Donzi?

Jeff
Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Re: The Boss. I do not remember that boat. I am sure that Lee is correct. I was GM of Holman Moody Marine in the early 70's, and chief engineer at Magnum from '77 thru '80. Remember that Aronow owned Magnum at least twice,and maybe three times. Anything is possible. Also, when Apeco owned Magnum, they made 27' and 28' models. Only problem? They only had one hull mold! No blocking, no nothing. They put a flat deck on, and called it a 27, and a taller deck and called it a 28'. Remember that the original Schoell boat was exactly 28' 0", and you can interpolate the approximate length as the gunwale got lower and lower.
Brownie
I had heard that at one time H-M had a huge supply of Volvo Speedmaster Drives and Hi -PO Volvo parts?

Thank you
Jim
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess "huge" is in the eye of the beholder... They had some. Put a message on here for Lee Holman.