Notices

Triton 308

Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton 308

Anyone know what happened to it, made it's debut with a pair of 235hp OMC's. I last saw it in 88 parked up close to Miami Int Airport.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton 308

LOL, Funny I was thinking about that boat the other day. We used to run west coast MBRA races and recall a white one in 1983 that showed up. I do know they built a 38 foot raceboat also.

Rob
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Back in the day [around 1982] the Trition was introduced and raced in APBA P class .
Attached Thumbnails Triton 308-trition-marine-h2o.jpg   Triton 308-trition-p-5-h2o.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power equal, they were faster than the Shadow cats in flat water that were dominating the P class back then. In rough water the Shadow would smoke it.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The red and black boat was owned by Jim Tripp and Al Schwanke of Hollywood. They raced this boat after running a 34 Coyote named Chaos. Production stopped after safety concerns surfaced. The other Triton boat on the circuit back in the day was "Bandit" owned by Craig Maudsley who himself used to race a shadow 30'. Craig was a silent partner in "Complete Inflatables" in N. Miami and the boat sat there for ever. In a joint venture, John Crouse and I had the boat sold to Matt Carrier who was racing the 24' Skater "Smooth Operator" at the time... BUT Carriers "Smooth" check bounced and he never covered it so the deal fell through.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
The red and black boat was owned by Jim Tripp and Al Schwanke of Hollywood. They raced this boat after running a 34 Coyote named Chaos. Production stopped after safety concerns surfaced. The other Triton boat on the circuit back in the day was "Bandit" owned by Craig Maudsley who himself used to race a shadow 30'. Craig was a silent partner in "Complete Inflatables" in N. Miami and the boat sat there for ever. In a joint venture, John Crouse and I had the boat sold to Matt Carrier who was racing the 24' Skater "Smooth Operator" at the time... BUT Carriers "Smooth" check bounced and he never covered it so the deal fell through.
The "orange" and black Triton was named "S.T. Enterprise", as in Schwencke and Tripp. It was rigged with the first three Mercury 2.4 EFI Offshore race outboards introduced by Mercury to the race circuit. We had the only Merc EFI computer tuner in the country for a few years, from Merc Hi-Perf., besides Lake X. The boat ran mid 90's in salt, low 90's in fresh. I picked the boat up new, in Newport Beach California, from the builder, who was also the sole licensed U.S. Importer of all Recaro product. The first boat built in California, & was tested with two Johnson 235's in the ocean there, as well as its first offshore event, and unfortuneately, launched off a large swell & spun out(due to poor steering hardware), & filled with water. It did not sink & was towed in. This mishap was well publicized at the time in PowerBoat Magazine, etc., & hurt the new boat companies reputation, right out of the gate. Our boat(orange & black)was, if memory serves, the second or third boat out of the mold. We spent time at Lake X with the boat, dialing it in, over & over. Another 30' Triton testing at the time, was a white boat named FUJIMO (F u c k You Jack I'm Moving On). Those were fun times in Offshore.

Last edited by Ed; 06-07-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed
The "orange" and black Triton was named "S.T. Enterprise", as in Schwencke and Tripp. It was rigged with the first three Mercury 2.4 EFI Offshore race outboards introduced by Mercury to the race circuit. We had the only Merc EFI computer tuner in the country for a few years, from Merc Hi-Perf., besides Lake X. The boat ran mid 90's in salt, low 90's in fresh. I picked the boat up new, in Newport Beach California, from the builder, who was also the sole licensed U.S. Importer of all Recaro product. The first boat built in California, & was tested with two Johnson 235's in the ocean there, as well as its first offshore event, and unfortuneately, launched off a large swell & spun out(due to poor steering hardware), & filled with water. It did not sink & was towed in. This mishap was well publicized at the time in PowerBoat Magazine, etc., & hurt the new boat companies reputation, right out of the gate. Our boat(orange & black)was, if memory serves, the second or third boat out of the mold. We spent time at Lake X with the boat, dialing it in, over & over. Another 30' Triton testing at the time, was a white boat named FUJIMO (F u c k You Jack I'm Moving On). Those were fun times in Offshore.
Ed,

You have a better memory than I. Yes, Craig's boat was called FUJIMO, not Bandit... The same boat though with regards to Matt Carrier.

T.

Last edited by MidOcean; 06-07-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Triton was originally built in Southern California by George Venerais who was the U.S. importer for Recaro seats at that time. Pat Murphy, a local SoCal outboard racer worked for George, did the rigging and throttled the boat for him in the west coast POPBRA races. Later on, another SoCal outboard racer (Mod VP class), Al Stoker from John's Custom Marine took over the throttle duties. Both Murphy and Stoker are still active boat racers -- both will be competing at the Parker 300 Enduro Race in Arizona/Colorado River on October 30.