Bought a an old blue thunder >

Bought a an old blue thunder

Notices

Bought a an old blue thunder

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bought a an old blue thunder

Ok bought this boat Now i need to move it from Ny to TX. Its on a great trailer with surge brakes do i need a permit? boat is 11'6 wide gonna pull with dodge Cummins power not an issue! The boat has an "OVER SIZED LOAD" sign any ideas?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Anything over 8' 6" wide needs a permit. If it were a 9' v bottom you could get away without permits. You need to check each state and see what the regulations and permit $$ are. Every state is different.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Youre definitely gonna need permits and a pre planned route.

That's a very heavy boat, hope you got a strong transmission. My buddy has one of those and its a tank. Good in rough water, just not fast at all. With twin 600's he runs about 68-70mph
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you just bought the ultimate party barge!!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably know the history...down here they are legendary for their ability to handle rough seas at high speed. They are not light and fast but will stay on course and in seas that beat everyone else up...run you down!!

A pair of 700 Horse BBC's or better still Big Diesels with 1000 # of TQ will move that big rascal.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ahlenius
Ok bought this boat Now i need to move it from Ny to TX. Its on a great trailer with surge brakes do i need a permit? boat is 11'6 wide gonna pull with dodge Cummins power not an issue! The boat has an "OVER SIZED LOAD" sign any ideas?
Yes, to be legal you need oversize permits for anything wider than 8' 6". On some stuff you can slide past if you're towing with a pickup on a regular boat trailer and it doesn't look too wide but no away around the fact that this will look really wide going down the road. You'll also have to plan accordingly to follow an oversize legal route and submit that for every state as part of your application along with truck and trailer info like GVW, axle spacing, weight over each axle, overall dimensions of everything, tire sizes and load ratings, etc. There are permit companies that can help you with all this.......they typically charge a flat fee per state permit plus a small percentage of the state cost. Most of your route to TX should be pretty easy to plan.......biggest hassle will be NY depending on where your starting from. Anything near the city or thru NJ takes some planning and if you are coming off Long Island with anything over 9' 6" your better off taking one of the ferrys vs any of the bridges and dealing with NYC DOT. Since the hurricane they've clamped down even more on the restrictions around NYC and some parts of NJ. Another thing about NY is that they have different permits depending on what type of road you're traveling so in some cases you need multiple NY permits. Again a permit company will be able to help with that.
Pat
[email protected]
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple things I forgot to mention. Typically NY will not deal with you directly.............they require you to work thru a permit company. Also most states limit you to day time travel on Monday thru Friday with some states allowing travel up until noon on Saturday. You'd be pulling whats called a "one time" permit and the effective dates of the permit are different in each state...........typically they are in effect for 3 days to 1 week from the travel date you pull them for. All the requirements will be spelled out on each state permit for that state. So anyway, that is what's involved with getting permits to do it by the book. None of it is a big deal really, just takes some time and pre-planning to get it all coordinated properly so some guys will take thier chances with no permits and hope for the best. If anything changes and you decide not to do it yourself get in touch and we can give you a quote.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

call "comdata" have a credit card and all license plate #s and your state by state route thell do all the permit stuff, they do all my out of state trip and fuel permits
Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ironhead
call "comdata" have a credit card and all license plate #s and your state by state route thell do all the permit stuff, they do all my out of state trip and fuel permits
Rob you use permits now Back in the day you used that special tape measure when towing the Motor City Magic cat.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok Thanks for all the Help I am going to permit for all the States, found a reasonable company! Also Thanks Tom will see you in a few days. Ok here is how the Cat is powered anyone feel free to comment good or bad. Brand new 546 big blocks with Aluminum heads topped off with whipple Super Chargers, 800 Dominator Carbs MSD electronics, 900hp each. Connected to Brand New Huber 1450 Transmissions with rebuilt SSM-3 Drives. You need to see the Props!!! Perhaps just a step up from the ultimate party Barge! Also Tom, Rob has starboard engine running sweet! Just some fouled plugs I will post pics when able, needs lip stick and rouge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.