Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Where is the Sam Griffith Memorial Trophy?? >

Where is the Sam Griffith Memorial Trophy??

Notices

Where is the Sam Griffith Memorial Trophy??

Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Sam Griffith Memorial Trophy??

Where is it? wasn't it a trophy that the World Champ in Open Class would have until the next year? Who has it now?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedDoc
Where is it? wasn't it a trophy that the World Champ in Open Class would have until the next year? Who has it now?
www.class-1.com/dataarchive5.asp should enlighten you.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDoc
It is my understanding that John Crouse, who started this whole thing to honor Sam, loaned the actual trophy to a marine museum in New York.

Before he died, he was talking about getting it back as it was "loaned to them by him" and he wanted to get it back.

I don't believe it was ever returned and I don't know the name of the museum other than it was in NY.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John was a little bit fluffed (ha!) when the rules started bending away from UIM, and the championship fragmented into a dozen championships. When the superboats showed up, that was the last straw, and John took back the trophy, which was one of the most beautiful. Some good names on the rim......
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
John was a little bit fluffed (ha!) when the rules started bending away from UIM, and the championship fragmented into a dozen championships. When the superboats showed up, that was the last straw, and John took back the trophy, which was one of the most beautiful. Some good names on the rim......
Here is the man (Sam Griffith) and the trophy.
Attached Thumbnails Where is the Sam Griffith Memorial Trophy??-1960%2520-%2520sam%2520griffith.jpg   Where is the Sam Griffith Memorial Trophy??-sam-griffith0024-small-.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't Tony Roberts Have it after He and Steve C won it in 85/86 in Key West? Then Tony Screwed Paul Clauser in a Deal and Paul payed someone to Blow the front doors off the MerCougar building with a 12-Gauge shotgun, the Trophy took a couple direct hits with 00-Buck. I saw the Trophy(the one Tony had) with my own eyes after the Blasts, I don't know if it was the actual "Sam Griffith Memorial" Trophy, May have been a copy.....Anybody Know????????