HORBA Open ocean Marathons 2011 >

HORBA Open ocean Marathons 2011

Notices

HORBA Open ocean Marathons 2011

Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Just my .02, but I think it has been a universal rule in Offshore racing that boats must be capable of Forward-neutral and Reverse Operation at all times for safety, docking and emergencies at Sea. It sounds like your solution has only covered two of those bases.
I know it has, but this is not typical and is not a deal breaker, can always fit a crash box but the amount of heat generated at those low rpms and disapating it just ads a chance for failure plus you know gear width with on most boxes can't handle the loading turning that slow.

From a running the race standpoint, I would take the straight shot from Miami to Hatteras and be pretty far offshore and would like to keep possiable failures to a min.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I know it has, but this is not typical and is not a deal breaker, can always fit a crash box but the amount of heat generated at those low rpms and disapating it just ads a chance for failure plus you know gear width with on most boxes can't handle the loading turning that slow.

From a running the race standpoint, I would take the straight shot from Miami to Hatteras and be pretty far offshore and would like to keep possiable failures to a min.
Sorry, I'm confused.......Straight shot from Miami to Hatteras???

What race are you asking about here?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Charlie, kind of thinking out loud and apologize, talk of records and offshore Marathon racing and we just started thinking about how to build something for both like my hero on here Bobthe Builder!

Spoke out loud thinking ahead instead of to myself - but my question is still the same about the transmisson or lack there of?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the Historic class has no restrictions for except for outboards?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
So the Historic class has no restrictions for except for outboards?
We hope that the boats be period correct, that would mean twin inboard big blocks for the open boats and twin small blocks for the production boats.

If you come with the 4 engine superboat, you would run with the Class A boats.

The ocean is a great equalizer. If you show up with blowers and superchargers, good luck keeping it all together for the entire course.

New reputations will be made by engine builders that can build both powerful and dependable.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well period correct production boat may not even have twins thats why I was asking, so something like a 27 with a single big block
that is period correct would be better off in C class than in Historic?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

November 5, 2011.....Bill Wishnick Memorial Fort Lauderdale to Key West Marathon Distance 215 miles

Ok so I got 12 months to get my little old 24' Pantera ready.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Well period correct production boat may not even have twins thats why I was asking, so something like a 27 with a single big block
that is period correct would be better off in C class than in Historic?
Class C would be an excellent place to run a boat like that. I am sure with the outboards in there too, there will be a lot of nice competitive boats that will run together.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera24
November 5, 2011.....Bill Wishnick Memorial Fort Lauderdale to Key West Marathon Distance 215 miles

Ok so I got 12 months to get my little old 24' Pantera ready.
Less than 12 months........I am sure that you will want to mkae sure that boat is really set to go....so test it out at the Sept Around Long Island race.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top Banana,

My brother and I have been thinking about running the Ft Lauderdale to Key West race next year in class C. Will you have a website up in the next couple of months with more info?

Thank you,
X-driver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.