How classic race boats get saved >

How classic race boats get saved

Notices

How classic race boats get saved

Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I've had a couple V-drive cruisers back in the day and understand what your describing....I was thinking they were in-line somehow, just didn't know how. Pretty cool set-up but wouldn't the 2 engines be required to run the same rpm at all times....or does the gearing force the 2 motors to run the same rpm.
Well they did back in the day due to the both of them basically being tied together. One motor was direct drive and the other had a crashbox. You had to start the rear motor in gear, do your putting around then start the second motor and crashbox it in gear.
There is just some things I will not due. No one wants a boat like that but a stone out racer so I had to change it.
I will be using B/W 1 to 1 transmissions on both motors and that should lighten the load on the gears. One of the main reasons they started putting one motor on one gear and the other on the other.
I’m sure that put a lot of stress on that shaft and gear until you got the motors evened out and in big seas that’s not gonna happen.
Now If one motor gets ahead of the other the one motor will feel like it’s rolling down hill instead of being forced to spin by the motor that’s running faster. Forcing another motor to run faster then you are feeding gas to it by a second motor has to be bad. Just the chance of running it lean and burning a piston alone is to great to do it without transmissions.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Always knew he had an issue with the “aluminum outdrive” (the last of his 19’s that I have has one) but never knew it was MerCruiser overall?
No big deal, they are just Chevy 454’s with BorgWaner transmissions anyway. The only things left that’s MerCruiser is the bell housing and a water pump.
Mad Poodle has the V drive and should be done in the next week or so. After that it all depends on the weather. Could be in a couple weeks or next spring.
Brownie had a thing with Mr Kiekhaefer I think..He probably would have given him whatever he wanted, but Brownie just wanted to beat him with hm Fords..He wouldn't give in..and I applaud him for it..
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lilabner
Brownie had a thing with Mr Kiekhaefer I think..He probably would have given him whatever he wanted, but Brownie just wanted to beat him with hm Fords..He wouldn't give in..and I applaud him for it..
Oh well. The Fords will come one day, maybe. But to be honest if I had 25 to 30 grand to drop on a couple motors I’m not sure I would. It’s not like it would take more then 5 minutes to set the boat up for Fords. I made sure of that when I re-built it. Everything is original up to the ends of the drive shafts. Just Chevys where the Fords would be.
But 25 grand for motors is not in my vocabulary and if it was the 427s would probably be sitting in the garage while I ran the Chevy’s because I wouldn’t want to hurt them.
Not only that but I’m taking owners license on the power plants. I’ve had Fords, Chryslers and Olds in boat before and they all are a major pain in the wallet just to say it’s a whatever. Chevy big block is easy and cheep compaired. In the next year or so I may just roll the 454s over to 496’s. There is no replacement for displacement. The 427’s (really a 425ci) had a cylinder bore of 4.23 / stroke 3.78 in. The 454 already has those numbers beat so they will be better in the long haul. Gotta love that longer stroke. I plan on running this boat like a normal boat so they will keep the costs down.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

You make sense..I think if it were me, I would run the Chevys also..Add to that the fact that 25 grand for 427's won't get much, and finding the old marine stuff for them would be near impossible..Good luck with this, it looks great so far..

Butch
Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lilabner
You make sense..I think if it were me, I would run the Chevys also..Add to that the fact that 25 grand for 427's won't get much, and finding the old marine stuff for them would be near impossible..Good luck with this, it looks great so far..
Butch
That’s it a nutshell.
I have a SuperNova19 that originally had a 318 Chrysler/Volvo 270 in it. I spent a lot of time, money and heartbreak with those Mopars. Started with a 318, went to a 360ci. Built it and rebuilt is about 6 times and every time I thought if I would have just started with a BBC I would have half the money in it and it would have been a bigger and better motor.
Something can be said about the common things and common prices.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
That’s it a nutshell.
I have a SuperNova19 that originally had a 318 Chrysler/Volvo 270 in it. I spent a lot of time, money and heartbreak with those Mopars. Started with a 318, went to a 360ci. Built it and rebuilt is about 6 times and every time I thought if I would have just started with a BBC I would have half the money in it and it would have been a bigger and better motor.
Something can be said about the common things and common prices.
Screw that shoulda put a 426 or larger hemi in that thing!
Then you could have whooped the BBC boys.LOL

why not be different.

I like that you ran mopars in it. I am a pontiac guy and I often thought of doinga boat with Pontiac power. They make allot of torque the parts are cheap these days they make big HO if built right Ask Jon Kasse and at least youd be different than the crowd.

Nothing wrong with BBC's just nice to see the road less traveled at least travels once in a blue moon.LOL
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Registered

IMHO, A road less traveled = A wallet with less money
Ie; an intake for a small block mopar cost 25% more the a intake for a BBC. And the motor is not worst part. It’s the parts to make them run in a boat that will get ya. Take a small block mopar. I run in brackish water (enough salt to make things screw up). That means you have to use a cast iron timing chain cover (has water passages through it). They haven’t even made a cast iron timing cover in the last 20 years. No fun finding one. Take exhaust for that same motor. Osco cast iron or Hi Tec’s from Australia, $2800.00 - for a small block.
I’ve had my fun with less traveled motors. I will take a common one any day. That’s why the Nova24 has two 454’s, the Monza-19 has a 454 and the Nova19 has a 496 (a stroked 454) and the blown up (for the 7th time) 360ci mopar is sitting in the garage without a boat to sit in.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pantera24
f_inscreenname trust me I hear you...I have been quietly following your build for a while now. I too am in the process of rebuilding my Pantera 24 "FactorX" and understand the difficulties...I have been out of work for the last 8 months BUT just got a new job and I'm starting Monday!! Thank God. So I will soon be able to hopefully have some extra $$ to dump into her.
Bottomline you've done a great job so keep it up and I hope to see you next year at some of the HOBRA races. I'm trying to get mine completed to go to the Long Island race and Ft.Lauderdale to Key West also.

Congrats
Angel
Congrats on the new Job!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Way cool video, good luck with the boat.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video...great boat!

Where did you get the gold rub rail??

-Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.