Looking for info about my chris cat >

Looking for info about my chris cat

Notices

Looking for info about my chris cat

Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info about my chris cat

I've got this info from chris craft "The boat was originally contracted by Jim Ross of RAM Marine Associates of Thornwood, NY but the buyers name was changed to
Phillip E. Melillo."

Does anyone got some history about this 3 seater race cat?
Any pics?
Wins?

Thanks

Jocke
Team name?
Etc
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Your boat was raced, mostly in the Northeast racing circuit, by Phil Melillo along with the legendary Billy Don Pruitt (in a couple of races). I believe it was called "Airborne". The Chris Cat replaced Phil Melillo's black inboard Triton hull of the same name. That Chris Cat was fast and very competitive. It was also a later model and benefited from Pruitt's personal involvement as production manager.

T2x
Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info!
What benefits? And what where the different with this later model compared to the others?
Bring me all info you can!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jorekore
Thanks for the info!
What benefits? And what where the different with this later model compared to the others?
Bring me all info you can!
Early CHris Cats were built on the assembly line and had very inconsistent laminating. Later Dick Genth put Pruitt in charge of the Cat layup area. Billy Don and George Linder teamed up to fix that problem and the later hulls were much sturdier without any added weight.

Phil Melillo is still around and has had a string of pleasure boats. Billy Don, sadly, passed away some years ago. The Chris Cat mold was taken from a modified Shadow Cat, which George Linder and I created back in 1979-80.

T2x
Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's the boat that got me started in this crazy hobby. We (Total Marine) sponsored that boat for Phil Melillo and Jim Ross. We were a Chris Craft dealer at the time (I was still in school). Don Pruitt came up from Chris Craft headquarters in Florida to throttle the boat. It ran in 3 or 4 races in the 1984 season, and won at least one of them. It was very competitive. Jim Ross built some durable high-horsepower small blocks for her (she ran in the Modified class). She was rigged with the new Mercruiser #IV speedmaster drives on stand-off boxes.

Hanging around with these guys got me hooked! A few years later we built our Chris-Cat Pro-Stock boat that we ran until 1997. If memory serves me correctly, the old "Airborne" was sold and later became "Tropic Heat" out of New Jersey, where it raced for many years.

Good luck with it . She was a really cool boat!

Tom Caruso
Total Marine
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Happy New Year Tom.......
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by T2x
Happy New Year Tom.......
To you to, Rich!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Default Lots of initials.

Lots of initials,,, T2x, TGC,, I feel left out,, Happy new year Tom.

Philip
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the info guys!
I've emailed Billy at npba and he sent me what pictures he got of it and he Will also send me 2 video clips
It is real fun to hear that it was a competitive boat with some legends that have raced it, when i bought this boat just thought i was just another boat..
The boat is now in Sweden.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Early CHris Cats were built on the assembly line and had very inconsistent laminating. Later Dick Genth put Pruitt in charge of the Cat layup area. Billy Don and George Linder teamed up to fix that problem and the later hulls were much sturdier without any added weight.

Phil Melillo is still around and has had a string of pleasure boats. Billy Don, sadly, passed away some years ago. The Chris Cat mold was taken from a modified Shadow Cat, which George Linder and I created back in 1979-80.

T2x
This is boat is a 1984 modell but is it still a later modell?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.