1970 Bertram Baron 28 Project

Notices

1970 Bertram Baron 28 Project

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Very Nice, This boat obviously found the right home.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fabulous!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful Baron you have. Just like the one I used to own posted above except it is a '69. It has the original windshield. At first I thought you may have it but I don't think it ever found its way to Michigan. I would still like to catch up with it someday. It originally had the Ford/Holman Moodys/Volvo setup but the person we bought it from in '78 had set it up with new original still in crate LT-1 Vettes and installed a mild Crane cam, Holly 850 double pumpers, Nicson Marine aluminum exhaust manifolds with no risers, Edelbrock intakes. It also had Nicson motor mounts which integrally mounted the Jabsco raw water pumps. Also had an electric fuel pump but I don't recall the brand. I only kept the boat about 9 months and turned it for profit in Ft. Lauderdale. It was stolen from the new owner a month or two later and he recovered it somewhere near Silver Springs, FL and I don't know what happened to it after that. From what I understand, there were only 11 of those 28's sold privately and the remaining 40 more that were manufactured were equipped with machine gun turrents for Israeli Navy Patrol Boats. Best of luck with its completion.

Last edited by rubrails; 06-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Thanks for the good comments everyone. I'll try to post some more pictures soon. My time to spend on the boat seems to be less and less. I'm almost ready to install the engines, and we just took the boat out of the garage and started the prep work on the hull. It will be nice to have a little elbow room to work on it now. I was surprised how hard it was to find replacement parts for this engine/drive combo but after a lot of searching the gimble units are all rebuilt with new gimble bearings, needle bearings, seals and trim limit switches. The starters, alternators, fuel pumps, carbs, water pumps and distributors have also been rebuilt. Once I get time to blast the manifolds and bolt them to the engines I'll install them in the boat. I was hoping to have it ready for the 4th but I'll be lucky to get it down by the end of the summer.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

nice i also have one!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered

Default 28' Bertram Baron

Your boat is beautiful. During my 1960s years with Kiekhaefer, I ran this Baron Around Long Island and Miami Nassau Races with triple Merc 1250BPs. It was a good rough water boat but not real fast....I think somewhere around 63-64mph. Those were fun days. - Steve Sirois

Last edited by seeroy; 09-06-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Default Baron Update

We have not given up on the Baron just yet. Its been a busy summer but the baron is ready for primer and will be going in the booth this weekend. With any luck the engines will be going in next weekend. Here are a few pictures of the progress. A lot of repairs to the old gel coat from years of sun exposure. I also included a couple pictures of a boat that a good friend and I redid this summer. Its not much off an offshore boat but it goes good with the 24v 80lb trust minnkota motor.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Just put it in the booth (most of it that is). We'll spray it tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I just installed the starboard engine tonight. Everything went well except for my brother not showing up and have to do it all by myself. I was hoping to get them both in but there is always tomorrow. My engine hoist was a little back woods but it worked out great. I was very surprised it fell right in place with all the mounting holes fitting perfect. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow as all of these are from my phone.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a GREAT thread. Love the restoration on that beautiful classic!!! Keep up the great work!
~Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.