Notices

Performer Boats?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performer Boats?

What does everyone know about Performer Boats? Build quality, models made, anything?

I have found what I think is a '73 Center Console, Hull #PER240138M73 in really rough shape. Looks to be complete except for the engine. The Trans, TRS drive and everything else is still there.

I have done restorations on smaller boats, so I'm familiar with the fun of replacing the deck, stringers and transom myself. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth saving. If I could get it for the right price (free), is it worth saving or better off parting out.

Pics can be seen in this thread. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...r-console.html
Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Performers where built just like all the other boats of that era. the glass guys where employees of other boat companys (like Cig, Cary, Cobra etc) Their 24' was the same hull Harry Shoell designed that was used by other company's like sonic. I worked for performer in 1990-93, they built top quality boats, some with no wood at all.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

the donzi registry has a write up about them boats
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Registered

Fast, The company you worked for was Performer that was located out of Richmond, VA? This boat would been built by the previous generation of Performer boats in Florida. Possibly owned by Billy Elswick at the time. The later Performers as you said, seem to have a rep for excellent build quality. I have seen nothing about the earlier (72-83) ones. I can't even find what models they made.
I keep digging for info and can come up with bits and pieces. I guess I have to break out a tape measure and go measure this thing to get the exact hull size. It's looking like either a 24 or 28, but I'm not really sure. Tough to judge when it's surrounded by overgrown bamboo. It really does look like a Donzi El Pescador 24, but that didn't show up until '76.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That serial # looks to be the 1st 24. When I worked in Richmond my boss (who sold performer to the guy in Richmond) also worked at/then owned performer after elswick. at one time Performer and Sea-Bird where basicly the same company since they where built in the same building in Ft. Lauderdale.

And yes the hull is just about exactly an el Pascador. Pretty good boat. at Performer we had one that went 114mph with twin staggered big blocks, it was built to beat Reggie in the Rudee Run (a 200 mile race to the beach and back) and it did. he was hot when he got beat by a little fishing boat
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered

Hull #1 is a pretty cool find. Any history on that mold? What was it before a Performer and where did it go? Were these cored hulls? I know, lots of questions.

I have located the previous owner and it turns out he left it on the property where it sits now about 10 years ago then he sold the land. I'm not sure who currently holds the title. I'm hoping I can work out one of those "If you can get it out of there it's yours type deals".

What should this hull run with a single big block? I could keep costs under control by using a take out motor warmed up to the 400-500 hp range.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

The guy who put that # on there is in the next office from me. I just showed it to him. He said that hull is different than the Sea-Bird/Performer 24's. He said at that time they built about 3 24's a week and most went north. and that number is probably 138 not #1.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

OK, That's interesting. Can he provide any more info? Is "different" a good or bad thing?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SpeedDoc
The guy who put that # on there is in the next office from me. I just showed it to him. He said that hull is different than the Sea-Bird/Performer 24's. He said at that time they built about 3 24's a week and most went north. and that number is probably 138 not #1.
I have two 24' Performer / Sea Bird cuddys' for sale, both powered with 502 straight inboard carb, fwc crusaders. These boats have radar arches and are in excellent shape, fresh water use only.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered

Default 24 performer

i have a 24 performer cuddy with hardtop 454 volvo with duo prop boat is like a tank very well constructed handles well in the ocean and chespeake bay i have all specs from company and literature from when it was built if your interested i can scan and send to you [email protected]

Last edited by saltydogg61; 09-05-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: forgot email

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.