Notices

84 Formula 402

Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seen it in person, was a pretty clean boat for its age. You cant go wrong dealing with the crew at shogrens either.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

That boat had blowers at one time. Small ones. I believe it to have ran around 65MPH with about 550-575HP per side. Yes, they are tanks. Mine was a weird 402. The drive height was pretty high, and seemed to be a lighter layup than that particular one you are looking at. With small 600HP blower motors, I could get 69-70GPS almost anytime. Magic Medicine and sommer can attest. Formula builds a great boat, however, these boats were made to be a 55MPH express cruiser in my opinion. Lots of cabinetry, accessories, etc. If your a guy who likes to run hard in rough water, the 402 will be a plush ride, but you will be breaking stuff. If you cruise like a gentleman, no worries.

Cabin is very roomy, that boat is all DECK. Cockpit is shallow, so it can be a windy ride. One thing Formula should have done, and did not do back then, was glass the deck and hull together. They simply glued and screwed the deck to the hull. Overtime, the deck joint becomes sloppy, and you will get lots of flexing in the deck. But like i said, express cruiser, not offshore race boat.

All in all, a great looking, comfortable boat, that is great for overnighting. I imagine that in the early 80's, if you were tooling around in one of these, you had your $hit together and were a big time PLAYBOY. 40'2" without a swim platform, 9'3" wide beam, and crystal liquor decantors, you were swingin it in a big way.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget the cocaine!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will always maintain that the 402 was the best design that John Adams ever came up with. The low profile, long deck, and wide stance remains unique. The interior is more plush than any being made today. I don't understand why manufactures universally abandoned velour, teak, burl wood, and thick carpet in the cabin. The Morse controls are still my favorite, and I would happily choose them over the standard zero effort configuration common today.

A pair of healthy, naturally aspirated 540s would nudge the speed of a 402 up to the low 70s, which is plenty in this type of boat.

Boats of this sort will never again be produced.

They were well built, unique, and very comfortable.

Certainly, they couldn't achieve the speeds that are possible today, but I'd take any one of them over today's offerings.

Several years ago, I asked Formula about the possibility of making some new boats from the old molds. They informed me that the molds and tooling for all SR-1s were destroyed, and weren't too keen on any further discussion of the subject. I found them more than willing to discuss the new FAS3tech hull design and how superior it is, etc.

A 402 is more of an express cruiser, but once you're on the water, whats the hurry?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild Thunder and JP-8, what you discusses is pretty much what I was thinkin + more. JP-8, you really hit the nail on the head with "they don't make um like they use to"! I really like the profile of the windshield to the deck and it would make a great family river cruiser! I really love the old Cig flat decks and Mistresses interiors with all the bright work; even the molded, rounded upholstery was perfect. And the paint/gel coat now adays is totally bogus way to out of this world to be classic and classy... That boat must have been loved.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChineWalker
Mild Thunder and JP-8, what you discusses is pretty much what I was thinkin + more. JP-8, you really hit the nail on the head with "they don't make um like they use to"! I really like the profile of the windshield to the deck and it would make a great family river cruiser! I really love the old Cig flat decks and Mistresses interiors with all the bright work; even the molded, rounded upholstery was perfect. And the paint/gel coat now adays is totally bogus way to out of this world to be classic and classy... That boat must have been loved.
The current state of the boating industry lacks the direction and innovation it once had. In years past, the designs were elegant, simple, yet refined and unique. Now it would appear that gaudy graphics and an unreasonable amount of horsepower are the highest priorities. Very frustrating.

Cigarette's 35 Mistress and later Flatdeck 38 S/SE models were some of their finest efforts. I don't approve of the direction that the company has taken, but the rest of them really aren't fairing much better.

Indeed, these older boats are largely under-appreciated. You often hear of folks buying old offshore boats to tide them over until they are able to get themselves deeper in debt with something newer or faster, only to miss the old boat later on.

"Wave crusher" is an oft-used term when waxing nostalgic about an older boat, but is scarcely mentioned when describing the characteristics of newer boats.

Bill Farmer's Excaliburs were some of the best boats ever made. The 40 Hawk is such a marvelous boat. A really timeless classic.

Chris-Craft's Stinger 390X is another favorite. Again, timeless.

The only company that Aronow started which has been able to maintain its original sense of individuality is Magnum Marine. Katrin Theodoli has done a remarkable job in keeping the company from breaking down and conforming to the latest industry fads such as stepped hulls, reversed transoms, etc. They are the ultimate and a tough act to follow.

There are other old school companies that hold fast to their roots such as Sutphen, Superboat, and more recently, Banana Boat Co.

Too many have gone under; Challenger, Carerra, Signature, Bertram's 38 competition was an especially interesting design that would have worked well as a production model.

As far as truly original designs go; Progression builds first class boats with that same tried-and-true simplicity of old. They get it.

Even the cabin cruiser and motoryacht industries don't know any better than to churn out soulless, floating Clorox bottles. Have a look at an old Burger, Ed Monk, Trumpy, or Elco yacht from way back. Pure class, built to last.

As a rule, my next boat will be at least 20 years old. A 402 would fit the bill nicely, just a tad impractical at present.

I've always been in the minority when it comes to my boat preferences. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I also owned a Bill Farmer 1982 Excalibur Hawk. It was a great boat. Well built. In my opinion, better built than the 402. The Formula, was about a foot longer, had a 24 Deg hull, so it rode a little nicer. The excalibur had a 22 Degree hull. The Formula beam was 9'3", the excalibur was 9'.

The Formula was fancier in the cabin, and the cabin was larger. However, the Formula slept 2. The excalibur could sleep 4.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Didn't know the Hawk was a 22 degree hull. It would be interesting to find out what ever became of the molds.

It's unfortunate that Formula never did glass the deck to the hull on any of their boats.

I would imagine that your 38 Fever is the fastest boat of the bunch.

How do you like it compared to the 402 and Hawk?

Those Speedmaster drives must be a welcome change from the TRS.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Default I get it...

"Several years ago, I asked Formula about the possibility of making some new boats from the old molds. They informed me that the molds and tooling for all SR-1s were destroyed, and weren't too keen on any further discussion of the subject. I found them more than willing to discuss the new FAS3tech hull design and how superior it is, etc"

I..like you am a fan of the classic Formula/Cigarette/Donzi/Magnum design. I think the Porters would do very well to create a "Heritage" line of Formulas to capture the "old school" market.

Any time I have my 255 out I always have 2 or more guys walk up to me wanting to know all about it. I hear many times guys say that if they find the right one that they would "do" a late 70's ~ early '80's Formula...anything with an angled windshield...pre-87.

I look at that 402 and get goose bumps....reminds me of trolling for whores at Shooters in 'Lauderdale back in the'80s.

Don't get me wrong...much of the new stuff is great...I just think what we are getting now is a continued "pussification" of the classic offshore powerboat.

Last edited by sprink58; 05-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58

"pussification"
Could be my favorite all time word EVER!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.