Notices

84 Formula 402

Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An excellent comparison, MT.

The old 10 and 12 meter fountains are amongst my favorites. I have seen a fair amount of them rigged with IIIAs or IVs, and would definitely consider one. This is a fine specimen

It almost looks like the center exhaust manifolds are touching. I've noticed this on a few other Fountains of this vintage. The engines must be mounted closer to the center line than other boats. Seems like it would be a bit tricky to get at the plugs.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
"Personally if I were in the market to spend 50k, I would go for a older Top Gun, 40-42 Fountain. Either of those are awesome machines, and make a excellent Foundation for a killer offshore boat."

I agree...but then I start thinking....$30K more and maybe I can get into this...

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=6282

...very serious offshore player.

I am doing some contracting work there and I wonder if I offered $50K if they would take it ?....you never know.
Ever deal with them guys,don't trust them.They don't tell the truth.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Ever deal with them guys,don't trust them.They don't tell the truth.
Wise words and I hear you....I got 50% up front.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chiming in here. I was born in 1980, so I don't really have the experience/knowledge base that a lot of you have, but I share the sentiment. It seems like in the 90s, boats just got really, really, gaudy. I have a much smaller budget than a lot of you, so I'm building my sleekcraft in the other thread, for as cheap as I can. But one thing that I've noticed is that my boat STILL LOOKS GOOD. I'm not sure why, but it seems like that same boat, sold in the 80s, looks like ass. The seat stitching got uglier, the graphics got more outrageous, and the overall look did not age well. On top of that, it seems that older styles of boats simply aren't available; if it's a smaller boat sold today, chances are it's going to be an open bow family-mobile, not anything fast looking. I don't get it. This new generation of powerboaters, ie ones, that own the gaudy graphic'd boats just seem to be total bro-machine boats. You know the type.

/ end rambling
Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cash68
Chiming in here. I was born in 1980, so I don't really have the experience/knowledge base that a lot of you have, but I share the sentiment. It seems like in the 90s, boats just got really, really, gaudy. I have a much smaller budget than a lot of you, so I'm building my sleekcraft in the other thread, for as cheap as I can. But one thing that I've noticed is that my boat STILL LOOKS GOOD. I'm not sure why, but it seems like that same boat, sold in the 80s, looks like ass. The seat stitching got uglier, the graphics got more outrageous, and the overall look did not age well. On top of that, it seems that older styles of boats simply aren't available; if it's a smaller boat sold today, chances are it's going to be an open bow family-mobile, not anything fast looking. I don't get it. This new generation of powerboaters, ie ones, that own the gaudy graphic'd boats just seem to be total bro-machine boats. You know the type.

/ end rambling
You've done an excellent job on your Sleekcraft. Hats off to you for bringing a classic back to life. When you are finished, you'll have something better than any of the newer models available today.

Indeed, during the 90's, manufacturers couldn't resist the urge to start slapping on the most abstract graphics they could dream up. Strange geometric shapes, and random splotches of color here and there that looked more like a bad skin condition than art.

There is a huge gap in the market when it comes to good looking, small performance boats that are somewhat affordable.

You had so much variety in the 70's and 80's that totally disappeared in the late 90's, and hasn't returned since.

I just cringe when I see all those open-bow boats lined up in the parking lot of the local boat dealers. I know they are popular, but that is only due to a lack of choices in a particular price range.

A change in the market is desperately needed.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

"I just cringe when I see all those open-bow boats lined up in the parking lot of the local boat dealers. I know they are popular, but that is only due to a lack of choices in a particular price range."

I talk to guys localy here in SE Florida about making the crossing to Freeport or Bimini and what type of equipment is required. I see a lot of dejected faces and am then told that I don't know what I'm talking about when I tell the "don't even try it in your 24' bow rider. I try to explain that one wave over the bow and it will be "MAYDAY...MAYDAY...Coast Guard Palm Beach...."

I guess some guys have to live it before they believe it.

The ocean is a completely different world and the "Tube towing special ain't going to cut it..OFFSHORE"
Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
"I just cringe when I see all those open-bow boats lined up in the parking lot of the local boat dealers. I know they are popular, but that is only due to a lack of choices in a particular price range."

I talk to guys localy here in SE Florida about making the crossing to Freeport or Bimini and what type of equipment is required. I see a lot of dejected faces and am then told that I don't know what I'm talking about when I tell the "don't even try it in your 24' bow rider. I try to explain that one wave over the bow and it will be "MAYDAY...MAYDAY...Coast Guard Palm Beach...."

I guess some guys have to live it before they believe it.

The ocean is a completely different world and the "Tube towing special ain't going to cut it..OFFSHORE"

The darn things just aren't very seaworthy, but they're light and economical. I imagine their sales will increase as fuel prices rise.

A proper offshore boat has plenty of freeboard. The 255 is an excellent example. Those old T-Bird Liberators and Interceptors are really what the market needs right now. Trouble is, those type of boats are only going to appeal to the quickly eroding middle class. The well-to-do folks want the newest thing they can get their hands on with staggered 1300 mercs that need to be rebuilt after every other poker run.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the 402 in the classifieds is in fact the same boat used to shoot the '83 brochure photos.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the 402 in the classifieds is in fact the same boat used to shoot the '83 brochure photos.
Looks even better in the water!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JP-8
The darn things just aren't very seaworthy, but they're light and economical. I imagine their sales will increase as fuel prices rise.

A proper offshore boat has plenty of freeboard. The 255 is an excellent example. Those old T-Bird Liberators and Interceptors are really what the market needs right now. Trouble is, those type of boats are only going to appeal to the quickly eroding middle class. The well-to-do folks want the newest thing they can get their hands on with staggered 1300 mercs that need to be rebuilt after every other poker run.

Does that boat have DRY exhaust
Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Does that boat have DRY exhaust
Looks like its wet in the Ad...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.