Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat >

Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat

Notices

Good 26 to 28 foot Lake MI boat

Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Good Luck-- be sure to get a good survey -- hull/ stringer moisture. not just some guy counting the lifejackets on board.

Not that there is any issues with the 272's, but any boat can be wet if not takin care of.

I would steer clear of anything that old (82) unless someone has done updates -- the drives, exhaust, etc are all not really great technology -- unless it was TRS drives.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the Cats?

Have you considered an older Cat? I have an 84 excalibur and we just start to have fun with 4 footers. I will say you do get a bit wet if you stuff the nose while taking off. Mine in on the big lake and the biggest concern is wave length up here. The extra weight of the older cats allows you to crush through waves like no other V hull I have been in. Don't overlook this class. Best of luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sideskraft
Good points Dave. I looked at an 82 Formula 302 today and it's just too big to be practical (I'll be trailering it). I'll see a nice 272 on Monday afternoon, and after that I'll probably make a decision. I think I can't go wrong either way (272 or 233).

Jordan
If you didn't already pull the trigger, just one more testimonial for the Formula 272 Twin small blocks w/ alphas. I have a friend that routinely takes his out in rough stuff and has nothin but praise for it. It's a great boat with classic lines. I like it almost as much as my little 24 Pantera! Wicked fun ride, but not for families!

Good luck!
Shawn

Last edited by SHAWNA; 08-02-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

On a the big lakes a late 80"s Formula 272/292 with twins or a 242LS with twins if you can find one. Both have the 24' Deadrise. I seem to remember the 223 was a 22' Deadrise.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered

I just rolled into the driveway around 11:30 tonight with a really nice '84 Formula F3-LS. It's got amazing room for a 21.5 footer and what appears to be an aggressive bottom. Everyone who has posted here has praised it's handling attributes. Because of my limited space for turning around and backing on my property, I decided a small hull would be the best, plus it's our first real "Great Lakes boat". It's got a stock 350/260 Merc with a later model Alpha lower unit, and options include recessed docking lights (eyes), pump out porta john, and low-profile smoked windshield. I picked it up near the Twin Cities and trailered her back here to West MI (a very long haul). I hope to get her in the water sometime next week -- can't wait!!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations!!! Now we need pics!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in going boating in anything more than 4 footers, but if we get caught, I'd like to get home safely and somewhat dry. I think that either the 233 or 272 would do just fine in those kinds of conditions.

Got just the answer for you.
26' Infinity. Had it on the Mich. bunch of times. Did the Pier33/Thundermarine Poker run in 1994. Pretty rough ride, but that's why I bought the Infinity so I can handle the lake. And yess I did got into some stormy situations. The Formula 272 would be a good choise as well. I had one. Great hull.
The Infinity has 454Mag and Bravo 1. No issues. Around 9K
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thumbs up

I just rolled into the driveway around 11:30 tonight with a really nice '84 Formula F3-LS. It's got amazing room for a 21.5 footer and what appears to be an aggressive bottom. Everyone who has posted here has praised it's handling attributes. Because of my limited space for turning around and backing on my property, I decided a small hull would be the best, plus it's our first real "Great Lakes boat". It's got a stock 350/260 Merc with a later model Alpha lower unit, and options include recessed docking lights (eyes), pump out porta john, and low-profile smoked windshield. I picked it up near the Twin Cities and trailered her back here to West MI (a very long haul). I hope to get her in the water sometime next week -- can't wait!!

Congrats on your purchase! Hope it turns out to be the right choice for you.
We're in the same neighborhood, so if you see me out and about, stop me and say "Hey"! Pretty sure I'm the only black Pantera with green eyes on Lake Michigan. For sure the only only one out of Holland! I assume you are launching out of Port Sheldon?

Shawn Arnold
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered

Velocity 22-26-28 you can find one for a great price and are real fast with stock power . Formula is great but heavy it will burn more fuel and won't be as fast . You don't need all that weight in a lake boat . I've seen some pretty rough lakes but nothing like I've seen offshore .
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by REDS32
Velocity 22-26-28 you can find one for a great price and are real fast with stock power . Formula is great but heavy it will burn more fuel and won't be as fast . You don't need all that weight in a lake boat . I've seen some pretty rough lakes but nothing like I've seen offshore .
lol
Sorry... The last place I wanna get stuck in a storm is on Lake Mich. It's not a "lake" it's a large land bounded Sea, and when it gets angree.. more Navy seamen wrote their last will coming into the Great Lakes naval station then on the Barring (sp?) Sea or on the worse spot on the Atlantic or Pacific. Untill you get into a storm on the Michigan.. you havent been in a storm on water. For this "lake" BIIIIIIGGGG, HEEEAAVVYYYYY... DEEEEPP and with 4+ engines.. you might be ok.

Good luck with you boat Sideskraft.... In a few weeks you'l get fourfootiteis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.