Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice. >

1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

Notices

1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.

finally bought a 30' shadow cat and i am pumped! the hull is in PERFECT shape. really unbelievable.

it is currnetly set up for i/o but i want to run outboards.
i already put money down on a triple outboard bracket form Midocean to hold till i get there to pick it up (30 in setback), and am about to head out to Illinois to pick up a pair of non-optimax Merc bluewater efi 250s w/ 25 in shaft. (i may be mounting a third one later on down the line.)

im looking to run between 75-80 mph (i hope)

i will be filling in the holes from the i/o setup and refinishing the transom before i bolt on the bracket.

will also be installing fuel tanks. any advice on placement and type would be greatly appreciated. Midocean (Todd) seems to know his stuff pretty damn well so i already told him i will be houding him to death trying to pick his brain! lol
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I would put the bracket on the cat, I would probably just run them on Jackplates, Dont think I have ever even seen a bracket on a cat. If you do put the bracket on, make sure the centerline of the 2 outer motor mount pads places rthe motors behind the sponsons. With 30" setback on the bracket, your not gonna wanna add more setback with the jacks later on, gonna have to adjust motor height the old fashioned way, engine hoist. What is the transom angle on the boat, and the bracket? They should be close, otherwise your gonna have built in trim.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Before you do anything, send a PM to T2X.

He knows everything you need to know about running outboards on that boat.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

the 25" motors will be pretty deep on your cat. A lot of the old Chris Cats and Shadow cats ran gil brackets like you speak of but 30" is a lot.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
the 25" motors will be pretty deep on your cat. A lot of the old Chris Cats and Shadow cats ran gil brackets like you speak of but 30" is a lot.
thanks for the info! i really wouldl ike to run a bracket that goes all the way across giving me a nice big swim step. this is after all a pleasure boat. if i can hit 75 mph i would be happy as hell to be honest. i like the triple bracket idea cus i think i would have the option to go triples later on if i wanted to. help me out guys! am i being reasonable? lol this is my first ca and my first outboard so i am in no mans land.

Top Banana: i already sent T2x a message just like you suggested.! thanks for the advice!

i just want a good riding boat that will do 75-80 mph.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

really seems like the big issue right now is wheather or not to run the triple bracket or seperate jackplates.

i am totally open to suggestions on any aspect of this project5 as i am completely ignorant on the subject. lol
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dad's Shadow cat is 'probably' the winningest race boat of all time and they did not run a bracket. That's not to say it won't work...

Here are some pics to give you an idea of how close they were to the transom. I can't specifically remember how they were mounted.
Attached Thumbnails 1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.-blackduckphoto.jpg   1984 shadow cat outboard conversion. need advice.-blackduck2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Be careful with a bracket. It becomes a lever point and puts a lot of stress on the transom. I have seen more than one transom busted due to the brackets. And once the transom breaks loose the engines start moving around and busting everything else.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
My Dad's Shadow cat is 'probably' the winningest race boat of all time and they did not run a bracket. That's not to say it won't work...

Here are some pics to give you an idea of how close they were to the transom. I can't specifically remember how they were mounted.
man i love that boat. im so damn excited to own one i cant stand it! lol

how fast did that thing go?

i am not opposed to running em on jackplates right on the transom.....i just kinda wanted to have a nice swim platform on the back. i spend alot time just floatin around wth a boat full of people drinkin beer.....but then again i guess everybody does. ha

what exactly does setting the motors back accomplish? i assumed it was for beeter ride quality and to fight porposing. (hopping)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
man i love that boat. im so damn excited to own one i cant stand it! lol

how fast did that thing go?

i am not opposed to running em on jackplates right on the transom.....i just kinda wanted to have a nice swim platform on the back. i spend alot time just floatin around wth a boat full of people drinkin beer.....but then again i guess everybody does. ha

what exactly does setting the motors back accomplish? i assumed it was for beeter ride quality and to fight porposing. (hopping)
Set up for kilo runs, Black Duck ran about 110 with triple 240 HP 2.4's.

Here are the NPBA hall of fame videos for my Dad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz2S_RcCuZ8

and his throttleman, Tom Akoury: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaRS...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.