Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Durability of manifolds/risers in fresh water. >

Durability of manifolds/risers in fresh water.

Notices

Durability of manifolds/risers in fresh water.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Durability of manifolds/risers in fresh water.

I am considering purchasing a boat from the Mid West that has been exclusively used in fresh water. The boat is an '81 model with the original twin 350 Chevy/Mercruisers that have around 550 hours total.

I asked the seller when the last time the exhaust manifolds and risers were serviced or changed. His answer was "They are the original factory units". Being a lifetime Salt Water boater...I nearly fell out of my chair!!! The seller explained further that in 30 years of use each season only saw around 5~6 hours and the boat was winterized every year.

So for all you great lakes guys...is this cause for concern? Do you guys get this kind of durability out of a set of manifolds/risers?

Of course before $$$$ change hands I will fly up and run this rig and check for water in the oil,etc. I have spoken to a fellow forum member that has seen this boat and has seen/heard both engines run and reports that all appears to be normal. I have also factored in $1200 for R & R all 4 manifolds and risers upon arrival here....I wouldn't trust old manifolds 30 years old in salt water for 1 hour!!!

Am I over reacting here or is this kind of thing a concern for you fresh water guys?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're probably fine one of my friends has a 72 trojan with the original manifolds
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes , up here in fresh water manifolds/risers will last a long time, i also have a 76 Pennyan fishing boat with a all origianl Chrysler 360, 1200 hours , never rebuilt, all original , winterized every year,I am the second owner and am very good friends with the origial owner, motor runs like a top !!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My 350 has 785hrs on original risers and my formula before that has about 900hrs on OMC risers and no major issues. NOw taking a fresh water older riser and dropping it in salt water... I'd think the salt would do damage WAY faster since they are old (hundreds of heating cycles, micro cracks, corrosion/rust, etc)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't see any issues. I have 31 year old aluminum "logs" that work fine yet, also. As log as they are winterized properly (and before they freeze..), should be good to go.