Need some help...73 cigarette >

Need some help...73 cigarette

Notices

Need some help...73 cigarette

Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help...73 cigarette

MY buddy called, were going to look at a 73 cigarette boat. The boat is original sitting in a garage for the last 12 years, It is a center console with 2 inline 6cylinder motors. Needless to say, because there is not a whole lot of these around, either him or the seller have know idea what it is worth. If anyone has any info on this boat that would like to share, that would be awesome. This was not a conversion the someone did, the owner purchased the boat brand new in 73.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 28 Cig

Originally Posted by only1adrian
MY buddy called, were going to look at a 73 cigarette boat. The boat is original sitting in a garage for the last 12 years, It is a center console with 2 inline 6cylinder motors. Needless to say, because there is not a whole lot of these around, either him or the seller have know idea what it is worth. If anyone has any info on this boat that would like to share, that would be awesome. This was not a conversion the someone did, the owner purchased the boat brand new in 73.
There were two models of the 28 Cigarette built, the 28 SS like I have and a 28 open fish (might not be the official name) . President George H. W. Bush (the father) bought a 28 open from Don Aronow. If you do a web search on his boats you should find plenty. Plus most of the books about Don menton President Bush's Cigarette.

They are very cool boats and very functional. As for value, a guy on OSO had a nicely restored 28 fish for sale here a couple of years back for around $45K. You couldn't restore it for that price. So unrestored and today's AWFUL boat market probably $5K or less. If it is solid (no transom or stringer rot) encourage your buddy to do it, they are very cool and 5,000 pounds of fun. If you have further questions, let me know.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

Last edited by O.C.Barry; 09-19-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The value, there was a compleat one that the late Mark Donahue had with v8 small blocks that was for sale for around 21k. In this market any price is possible. Would this be the Cig here in Macomb County Mi that had the tubo 6cyl engines ???
Old 09-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to own one...If you have any questions let me know..
the last "opens" were build with small blocks and TRS outdrives..
Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

Sounds cool. Love hearing people find these time capsules hiding in old barns.
Post a pic
MD
Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
The value, there was a compleat one that the late Mark Donahue had with v8 small blocks that was for sale for around 21k. In this market any price is possible. Would this be the Cig here in Macomb County Mi that had the tubo 6cyl engines ???
It located in a garage out in Oakland county.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

It located in a garage out in Oakland county.
That may be it, Captan Offshore Dave B told me about it. If its not, then there are two in the area.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
That may be it, Captan Offshore Dave B told me about it. If its not, then there are two in the area.
This one has not been in the water since 1999. I guess there was some electrical that needed to be done. Everything was pulled and that is were the project ended. From what my buddy says, interior, hull, is all in great condition. Lets just hope something happens so we can see this gem back out on the water were she belongs!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Values on older boats like this are very subjective. Also depend upon condition. Are the engines frozen or were they fogged? The fuel tanks will need to be flushed. The hull is a great design and a wave crusher.

Wannabe
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Default 28 Open

I had one as well, mine was a 71. Twin sixes from marine power that had small 4 BBL carbs.Honest 45 MPH. Fun boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.