Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
I've been lurking for to long, time to share >

I've been lurking for to long, time to share

Notices

I've been lurking for to long, time to share

Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were great motors for sure and can def be adapted for use in the boat. I'm just finding it hilarious that they kept a radiator rather than adapt to raw water cooling. Too damn funny. You have to keep the story going...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3dman
They were great motors for sure and can def be adapted for use in the boat. I'm just finding it hilarious that they kept a radiator rather than adapt to raw water cooling. Too damn funny. You have to keep the story going...

Are those radiators or oil coolers? Look a little amall to be for coolant. Still, why not use a marine cooler

Looks like someone spent a ton of time on that project.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the strangest powerplant on a boat I've ever seen. LOL at the idea of dry exhaust that close to flammable things. Jesus christ. Whoever made it didn't know much about boats.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Are those radiators or oil coolers? Look a little amall to be for coolant. Still, why not use a marine cooler

Looks like someone spent a ton of time on that project.
After a closer look the lines go to the tranny
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

It's clear the person involved with this build has approched it like a "Survivor" series in rigging.........Just look at the proplusion system, it took some time to figure it out & weld it all together. Crude as it may be, it was much harder to do this "Survivor rigging" then go out and spend money on a marine engine & drives...............either crazy & cheap -or- a pact with the rigging devil!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting, so much for passing a Coast Guard Safty Inspection.....Where exactly did you find this boat and whats the story with it???
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

From the pic's it looks like the hull had a single engine with a TRS drive. I posted this in a post back in February [Never seen this one but??? This may be one of the boats that was used to haul square grouper. I heard that there were a few of Tom's boats set up with large hatches for hauling that product] after a few conversations with Mr Sheer Terror Bobby said the Signature hulls were a Magnum copy with one change, wider lift strakes. With this modification the hulls would ride higher not looking like they had a load of product in them.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

You guys should have been around before I bought this thing, I amazed at all the things you've caught. I am glad I bought it though I really like the lines and as much as I'd like to find more of them I'm glad its not an average boat. The radiators were for the powerglides witch I did end up getting water coils instead worked better and less battery draw. I am suprised that nobody questioned the trannys-how many boats have Park and 2 gears. Witch became a problem trying to go from reverse to drive, props didnt wanna stop. I found a pair of 327 pacemakers on ebay and bought them, I thought that that would solve my exhaust problem. After I started digging into them I found out that they were actually 283's and that didn't solve my tranny issues. I played around for the next couple of months and could come up with nothing that would be right, just my luck I found a guy with a 260 Power Quest that just had his engine rebuilt the last season and had a hot line on a 525 and XR drive that he wanted bad. I was talking to him that night on the phone and it was like 9 pm and he said where do you live, I told him and he said well I'm less than an hour away I 'll bring my boat to your house and you can here it run. Sure enough about midnight we shook hands and I bought his 98 7.4 MPI and his Bravo 1, engine drive complete. It was a blessing, I went to his shop Loaded everything up and took about a hundred pictures of his empty bilge, and a ton of measurements. So heres were my wife just shakes her head, I gutted the boat so in my barn were the new MPI, the used 283's and the SHO's and trannys and a boat with holes in it, I could tell she had her doubts I tryed to explain but what do you say -- It will work trust me!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! Sounds like a move in the right direction tho. Good luck and post pics!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I had a 1990 SHO. Motors ran great, had lots of fun embarrassing the kids in the Cameros who had no idea. The only bad part was the clutch,,,it was crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.