I've been lurking for to long, time to share >

I've been lurking for to long, time to share

Notices

I've been lurking for to long, time to share

Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been lurking for to long, time to share

I just love reading about peoples projects, so I think its time for me to share mine. About 3 years ago I thought it would be fun to have a boat, never had one before but I thought the kids would like to go skiing and such it would be fun cheap and easy family time. Not knowing anything but i did know I would have to have something better than a bayliner, may be a fourwinns so I spent the next months watching Craigslist. Then I found a listing for a 27' 91 signature with Honda motors about an hour away. I went and meet the guy and long story short it was his dads and he had died and he wanted to get it you can see from the pictures it was close but need some help (my kinda project, and if it didn't work I could sell the trailer alone and get my money back). If you know about boats red flags would have been going like crazy but I seen 27' and 2 motors. Well the man that had set it up must have been some sort of junkyard guro and althogh he set up so many things right on he was a little off in the coast gaurd department. It had 2- Ford SHO v-6 mated to 2 powerglide trannys to two inboard props. The exhaust was dry and ran under the floor to the back of the boat. It took a couple of weeks to get it running (new injectors) and other things but it was running I took it out to a local lake that was long and not very wide, just in case I figured out I could make it to shore. The first thing I learned was the stering was 180 degres off and top speed was maybe 20 knots then I noticed the floor was starting to smoke remember the dry exhaust so we headed back to the landing. Now what, I decided to learn more about boats thus bring me to this great site. I decided to take the leap down the rabbit hole, and how deep it goes! I decided to keep the hull find a big block and a bravo and do it right. I still am alittle bummed at the lack of info on Signature boats, I did find everything on this site that there was and would still love to know more, like if they were done making boats in the early 80's why is mine a 91? I've looked up my HIN but it says it isn't valid. Any ways I'll post some pics of when I looked at it, and will continue to tell you what Ive learnd and how long its taken what a journey
Attached Thumbnails I've been lurking for to long, time to share-dsc02921.jpg   I've been lurking for to long, time to share-dsc02920.jpg   I've been lurking for to long, time to share-dsc02897.jpg  

I've been lurking for to long, time to share-dsc02895.jpg   I've been lurking for to long, time to share-dsc02894.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The hull and trailer look good, but two V6 inboards mounted forward is going backwards speedwise! I'm sure you'll have better luck (and speed) with a mildly built big block and a Bravo I. Was this a raceboat in its previous life? Good luck with the boat-please post alot of pics on your conversion. Welcome to OSO!
Bob
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would put on a pair of outboards and call it a day!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That has got to be some sort of custom job. I think you'll like the boat a lot with a bravo and 350-500hp. Plus if the transom is solid, it should be a pretty simple cut and go.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

lmao with the radiator and fan! And was that set up with dryer vent hose for the air cleaner?! Love it
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull those motors and junk out, sell them and put a pair of used OB's on the back. You 'll be doing 50 mph and not be on fire.

Wannabe
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Yamaha made those engines, and they were really good. There has got to be good, beer-fueled story behind how those got in there.

Can you tell what it had originally? Bravo makes good sense but it would be worth sleuthing out the transom first. Maybe the cutout is still basically there but just covered up?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
Yamaha made those engines, and they were really good. There has got to be good, beer-fueled story behind how those got in there.

Can you tell what it had originally? Bravo makes good sense but it would be worth sleuthing out the transom first. Maybe the cutout is still basically there but just covered up?
Yamaha designed them Ford Built them At the Cleveland Engine Plant #2
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Yamaha designed built and supplied motors to Ford for the SHO from 1989 to 1995.

Just weld a bung on the exhust to inject water. get bigger props for more speed I would say way smaller diameter and much more pitch. I would say get the props closer to the bottom of the boat and run one rudder. May need a wide set of trim tabs. You should have plenty of HP there to get to 50 or over even the way its set up. If you don't like it then sell it, do some better research and buy a set up more suited for what you are looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.