Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Bought a boat today. What is it? >

Bought a boat today. What is it?

Notices

Bought a boat today. What is it?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Bought a boat today. What is it?

Not to repeat myself but I did buy a boat today and have no clue what it is.
Found it on Craig’s List the other day. The guy claims to be boat flipper but getting a hold of him took forever. Finally hooked up today. Drove up to PA and he was late but said to go ahead and take a look at it. “It was out back.”
I go out back to look it over and when I first see it I think we would never get it out of the weeds with all the rain we had the last couple days. From what I did see it peaked my interest enough that I waded into the abyss. The more I saw and the wetter my socks got the more I wanted it (pictures don’t do it justice but it is a total wreak). Got a good chance to get an honest assessment of it while he was not there. When he did show up I shot him a lowball number and said if he can get it out. He shot me a number back still much lower then the listing price and I took it. I ask if he can get it out looking at his blazer. He says that’s why he was late, had to load up the 4 wheel ATV on the trailer he was towing. 15 minutes later it was on the blacktop.
We are doing paperwork and I am picking his mind about it but he knows nothing. He bought it a few years ago and it has sat ever since. He did say he got it from a guy outside of Philly that brought it up from Florida when he moved up there. He also said the only thing he got was a Florida registration when he bought it because Florida didn’t have or didn’t need titles and that’s what they used to transfer ownership. I remember something similar when I bought a boat in NY and brought it to Maryland a few years back. The thing was he had issues with Penn’s title people and eventually just titled it as home built and he didn’t remember what it was and I cant find a single marking on the boat or trailer.
It’s 16’ tunnel hull, V drive, drag boat. Has really cool exhaust and transom. Unique and hope it will help find out what it is.
It also has a early Hall Craft V drive with a cable Tach attached to it. Mounting parts for the drive and prop shaft struts have CAL-MARINE stamped on them.
Got a couple pictures to look at.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 12-09-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like early to mid sixty's vintage, looks like a quality boat for it's time.
I don't think I would get to carried away with power on that early of a tunnel hull boat, but it should be fun!
It will get some attention at the lake!
Good find!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1965 thunderbird
looks like early to mid sixty's vintage, looks like a quality boat for it's time.
I don't think I would get to carried away with power on that early of a tunnel hull boat, but it should be fun!
It will get some attention at the lake!
Good find!
Thanks!
Originally came with a small block Chevy. They said a 350 but not sure if there was such a thing back when it was built.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to ask this, but why? is a V drive ever going to be that fast?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Not sure but what the hell. I kind of like the V drive thing though. I like Volvo's on my inboard outboards because they don't break but they are not good for speed. V drive's are so simple there's not much chance of breaking anything. And after the race boat's Casale C-1000 this one should be a piece of cake.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boys and their toys!
Now there is a project for you, something different.
Nothing wrong with V-drives in the right application.
Keep us updated on the build / restoration.
Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now it makes sense - I read your signature.
"Resurrection Marine.com"
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 40gt
Now it makes sense - I read your signature.
"Resurrection Marine.com"
That's us. Saving a little history one boat at a time.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Nice! I miss the V-drives and jets that used to prowl Lake Oakland.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you posted on SnF?
They'd have a better idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.