1963 Biesemeyer 4 Point Hydro >

1963 Biesemeyer 4 Point Hydro

Notices

1963 Biesemeyer 4 Point Hydro

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Are right let's get back on track here.
We had another warm day and I started to take the wood out of her the other day and found for the most part that I had nothing but mulch for stringers. All the way up under the deck, the sponsons stringers were rotten also. So I got all of one side out, traced out the other side on to planks, cut the wood to fit, temporarily installed, and then trimmed everything that was needed to get a perfect fit. I then ran out of pressure-treated lumber that I was using for the outside stringers of the sponsors being for the most part they are not glassed in. They just sit slots and attached to the deck. Strange but it worked for 50 years so what the hell. Not being able to trace the new stringers I already cut to new wood before I installed them and it was getting late ment the day was over.
Even though the next day was much colder I went ahead and got the water pickup up installed in the sponson before putting the stringers in. Made a whole lot easier to do and shouldn't be in the way. So now getting ready this set the stringers and just as I start getting things out to do it it starts raining and it didn't stop for the rest the day so back in a hold pattern again and back to working in the garage. I do need spends time on some of the pieces that I took off before. Like the rudder plate is all ate up and both brackets that hold to to the stringers are cracked two thirds of the way through.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

mark, heads up! if your going to put that engine in their backwards your going to need a vdrive oil pan with the extended pick up tube,,just letting yyou know b4 you loose oil pressure and pop that motor..umm better get one for the race boat too..
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Got ya fixx.
The race boat is fine. The down angle of the motor, the big oil pan and the location of the pick up, there should not be an issue with the one motor that is turned around in it.
As for the Bies, I will have to look into it but today is stringers.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Registered

Time for another update if you like it or not. LOL
When we left off the last time we were into stringers and rotted decks. Well were still into stringers and rotted decks but a lot of progress has been made even though it doesn't show it. After multiple attempts and fittings I got the starboard side stringers in. After a lot of study I found the best thing to do is to set them in liquid nail. I know some here will freak out but the consensus was that was the stuff you use so that's what I did. Mind you that each Stringer already had a pre-existing fiberglass box (lack of a better term) to sit in. I just used it on the bottoms where it met the hull to give it a solid footing without creating any hard spots in the hull.
Then moved to the port side and started ripping it out. Just what was expected, more mulch. One thing I did find that was interesting. Up under the deck where the seat is there is only a couple inches between the base and the hull but yet there was a pristine beer can sitting there. An old Schmitd beer can. It's old but it can't be as old as the boat being that it has a pop top so it's a bit of a mystery how it got there. After a day of getting everything scraped out and vacuumed up I had to let it dry out. And then the the cold and the rains came again so it was back to the garage for couple days.
One thing I cut out during this whole time was the back plate for the seat. I knew at some point it had to be fiberglassed on both sides and it didn't need to be done in the boat. So while doing other stuff I put a coat of glass on each side while I was stuck in the garage for those couple days. I also built the deck plate that will lock in place to cover up the center tunnel in front of the seat.
Other garage duties included stripping everything that was taken off the boat just the other week and getting it fixed, cleaned, painted and ready for install when needed. For the most part everything was intact just in sad shape. So I replaced anything need to be replaced, aluminum, nuts, bolts, whatever. The steering on the other hand was a bit more of a challenge. The plate that held the top of the rudder shaft to the stringers was kind configured weird and half assed to fit short stringers. They even used half-inch nuts as spacers. I also found that both L brackets were cracked halfway through, all the pulleys were frozen along with the main bearing that holds the rudder's shaft. The funny thing was, it all worked before. Was bit tight though. New L brackets, free up all the pulleys, new rudder shaft main bearing and a couple of things and I think it's ready for install. With a little attention to the steering wheel shaft, getting a new woodruff key slot cut in it along with getting the threads for the big bolt straightened out that sat out in the weather for the last decade plus and hour or two getting the old broken studs out of the steering wheel shaft's bezel and polished back up to almost so-so condition, I think I'm done with steering for now.
Then we had another one of those insanely great March days with it being 65° out. That gave me a chance get all the stringers are awesome place in the front half. It's amazing on how long it takes to do that but they were done. Once done I can add the seat backer plate and bolted in place and glass it in and around the sides and bottom. Cover the boat, put what little space heater in it and let it bake overnight.
Today I had a chance to do a little plumbing that was needed and get the new deck plywood shimmed, glued and screwed in place and everything cleaned up before the rain started. Tomorrow again it's supposed to be warm enough that I am going to try to get the glass on the decks done. Then I can move on to the motor box area.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmeuLugjnyM&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Progress is being made, I like the boat-project. And I like the SRV as your background music for your picture posts.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My bud has had one of those sitting around for years. He used to be a crew chief on the "Blue Bayou" top alcohol hydro years ago and he was going to restore it. It used to run an old blown, hilborn injected hemi. He wants it gone.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered

OMG you all have all the luck over on the left coast.
"Wants it gone" Anyone coming to the other side of the country and wants to tow it along? I'll take it.
I have to ask, what's the deal with the chains on the bow eye to the trailer? There is enough there to hold a battleship.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The trailer is crude and has not moved in years. Needs tires before movivg or flatbed it. I wsh i had pics of the inside. It is in great shape. stringers all good, etc. It was a center steer orig. I will call him this weekend and ask price. it is definatly a cool old hull.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Registered

Well the weekend is over and I think I may have made my goal. There is a couple of small things I would have liked to have got and there but for the most part the stringers are done. Along with the front deck is totally glassed in.
With the weather being like it has been, with one day be in a warm and the next being below freezing it's been hit or miss when it comes to working on this thing. When it comes to the structural stuff I really don't want to play around so I've only been doing it on the best of days. There's other things I could be doing like sanding the bottom but I was afraid to move the boat in anyway off the bunks of the trailer because the way the stringers were before (mulch). I was afraid it may bend or warp it in some way. Not that the trailer bunks are any better. Seems like carpet is holding them together for the most part but I guess there's enough support that the hull looked straight sitting on them like it was so I wasent going to move it until the stringers were done and locked in. After doing all the corners one more time today I guess they're officially locked in. And finally now I can move on to bodywork. There's more glass to do but it still bodywork and not stringers.
No movie this time. I did update the movie on Resurrection Marine.com if you have to see the completion of the stringers and couple of the other things I finished up you're more than welcome.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered

While it rains outside on this Sunday I guess I will do a little bit of an update. Can't really complain about the rain being it will knock some of the dust down that is so needed to be done after the insane amount of sanding I've done but it could happen at night and not slowed progress.

The week started off with fixing the holes in the dash and filling in the fiberglass for the old gas tank fills. I expected two holes for the tanks fills but after seeing some cracks and doing some sanding I found that there were two other holes for fills that had been covered in the past. Little Bondo and paint and it was all good for them but not this time around. All was ground out, backer wood was glassed in where necessary and then multiple layers of fiberglass placed on top feathered into the surroundings. Also a couple areas around where the motor sits had to be patched up also. Nothing major but if it was even slightly cracked or had a hole they got groundout re-fiberglassed.

As the inside started to tighten up I moved to the top side outer hull. I was making insane progress and was almost thinking I was going too fast until I ran across this. This is where the top half meets the bottom half the boat. The picture is of it after I already attacked it once with my disk grinder just trying to get it semi-flat and some of the five layers of paint off that caked in the corners. After looking at it months ago I already located and priced a rub-rail for it but after talking to another classic Beise owner the first thing they notice was that ours had never had one installed and wishes his did not. I also know a few folks with little outboards boats that are built the same why and they all prefer no rub-rail. So to keep it as traditional as possible I am attempting to fix it.

At this point I have already filled in the major chunks that were missing and where it was coming apart I filled in all the gaps with resin to where I could get enough of it together to start building off of. Almost like scaffolding under an arch ceiling. Ground everything down to the basic shape and then started making circles around the boat putting down fiberglass as I passed. First the top than the bottom. Let that set up grind it back down to the basic shape and feathering the edges and then back around again for another layer. At this point mechanically it's 120% and is totally intact except for a small place on the bow that I cant get to yet.

At this point I am also fixing anything else I can find. Fiberglass Bondo for any blemish that is over a sheet of paper thickness and multiple sandings of the whole hull (except for the bottom, got to get it off the triailer first).

Having over 25 hours into the whole hull joint thing alone kind of makes progress almost look nonexistent but it's happening. Soon things will be moving a little more to where they will show up in a movie and then we'll do another You Tube update but until then you can always check an updated movie out@ ResurrectionMarine.com in the "future resurrection" section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.