Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
39' DON ARONOW USA#1 OFFSHORE CATAMARAN on Ebay >

39' DON ARONOW USA#1 OFFSHORE CATAMARAN on Ebay

Notices

39' DON ARONOW USA#1 OFFSHORE CATAMARAN on Ebay

Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not far from this guy and want to go see all the stuff he has (quite a collection) but with the prices he has listed I just cant do it. I was thinking about buying this boat out of new york and this price is insane. I have one of the actual customs boats and we are going to see what we can do to fix what they did not think about when they split the plug for this boat (actually what became the 41 apache not a 38 TG). First we are going to replace ALL the wood with coosa. Then we are going to work on the bottom ie. pads on the keels lifting strakes etc. I know these were never fast. I have just loved them since I saw one in service in the early 80's. My brother (a boat builder of more than 30 years) and I are doing all of the work so in the end I hope to have a fun, one of very few, party barge for a lot less than any other boat in this size class. I know there are a lot of people out there who have really bad things to say about these boats but very few of them have even seen one in person let alone have any helm time in one. Good luck to anyone restoring one of the classics no matter what it is. I have a lot more respect for those that actually build or turn wrenches on their boats than the guys who just have the deep pockets.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heavanie
I am not far from this guy and want to go see all the stuff he has (quite a collection) but with the prices he has listed I just cant do it. I was thinking about buying this boat out of new york and this price is insane. I have one of the actual customs boats and we are going to see what we can do to fix what they did not think about when they split the plug for this boat (actually what became the 41 apache not a 38 TG). First we are going to replace ALL the wood with coosa. Then we are going to work on the bottom ie. pads on the keels lifting strakes etc. I know these were never fast. I have just loved them since I saw one in service in the early 80's. My brother (a boat builder of more than 30 years) and I are doing all of the work so in the end I hope to have a fun, one of very few, party barge for a lot less than any other boat in this size class. I know there are a lot of people out there who have really bad things to say about these boats but very few of them have even seen one in person let alone have any helm time in one. Good luck to anyone restoring one of the classics no matter what it is. I have a lot more respect for those that actually build or turn wrenches on their boats than the guys who just have the deep pockets.
I would love to see the finished product...they were called "Blue Thunder" boats down here and were often seen patrolling South Biscayne Bay near Ceaser's Creek in the '70's and '80's. They would throw out a few bales for bait on the inside near Angel Fish Key and hide in ambush behind a Mangrove island. I remembered this recently while reading "Mid Ocean" They used to congregate also around the old DuPont Plaza downtown Miami...3~4 at a time with "US CUSTOMS" printed down the sides...very impressive.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

You can still see where it said united states customs on mine. It is untouched since being decomissioned.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can still see where it said united states customs on mine. It is untouched since being decomissioned.
Post a PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which engine package did yours have?

Wannabe
Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

Default ApachKid Response;

David, All these were tried, In a effort to lighten, Including "Padding" bottom, None improved performance, Only economy, As long as you are doing for your self(non-resale value/ Unlimited budget?) Have at It!!, However, I woud save all old(Deck) in one piece!!, Make "Open Cockpit/ Center Console" Style, (Also Been Done), One was Powered by "New" 350 Mercs on B-Bracket, Owner Got so mad at result, Sold it!!, Never performed!!The hull just doesn't have the nessacery wetted/ Plaining square footage required!!And is laid up"Bullet Proof", Good [email protected]
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the past twenty five years I have taken care of a 27 Aronow USA1 Cat. It has twin 300 tempest/Alpha's with 80 hrs. I heard that my past employer bought the Cat in Florida after it stretched the drivers neck and put his lights out. This is the worst running boat I have ever ran. In following rollers you are good for about five minutes before your back blows out from leaning back or you take the big deep six. Good looking boat and built like a BSHouse. It has been in a rack it's whole life. It's funny because this one always reminded me of a 27 magnum cut in half. Reminds me of a hot women with low miles. (Looks sexy but will not perform).
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

My dad was head of maintence on the customs fleet in the 80s...the TRS's blew constantly. We have a ton of pictures somewhere
Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...Center-Console check this 1 out
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
GB
Registered

In the early 80's was working for Grumman, St Augustine. Going North on US1 roughly 2 miles from the airport on the right there used to be a facility that performed maintenance/OH on these Customs Cats. It wasn't uncommon to see at least 1-2 in for engine and drive replacement. The contractor made a fortune off those underperforming bricks. Have several pics somewhere.

Last edited by GB; 03-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I wouldnt blame the boats for breaking..... I was told the same story about fountains when I saw customs/border patrol beaks sitting outside a shop next to my work in san diego. You take a bunch of 18~25 year old kids , and put them in anything high performance with the govt paying the bills, they will tear stuff up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.