Speeds from Offshore Racers in the '60's and '70's

Notices

Speeds from Offshore Racers in the '60's and '70's

Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Raising Mercruisers was not related to Arneson's intro although the timing was close....MC's were raised because we had been doing it on outboards for decades.... and, of course it worked.

"surfacing props" was a concept in existence long before Howard made his first drawing. He was simply trying to get the power to the surfacing propeller with out a stern drive of any kind...although he basically used a different kind of transom mounted sterndrive to accomplish this. His real accomplishment was reducing parasitic drag in the process. This playing field has gone back and forth ever since between dry sumping M/C's and adopting "fixed" installations on Arneson/BPM/Buzzi adaptations.

T2x
Here are some pic's from the mid to late 70's that I believe of Howards early drives on his SEA SWEEP vee hull .
Attached Thumbnails Speeds from Offshore Racers in the '60's and '70's-scan0192.jpg   Speeds from Offshore Racers in the '60's and '70's-scan0011.jpg  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Here are some pic's from the mid to late 70's that I believe of Howards early drives on his SEA SWEEP vee hull .
I think sonny levi was the man. I worked with him on his boats in 66 and 67 in europe , all were surface drives and surface props. all were mounted above the hull edge . he even wrote some books on that subject at that time. I still build fixed surface drives today, for hi torque diesel projects . we are building new long range patrol boats now, see us at cowes 2013 . sonny miller
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So it looks like in summary that 60~65 was the consistent, strong number that had to be maintained to be competitive. Seems that was attained by 24'~26' vee hulls running twin SBC's and 30'+ vee hulls running twin BBC's.

It's interesting to note that what were Offshore Racing speeds 30 years ago is pretty much a "cruising" speed for most high performance factory boats today.

It appears that the use of step hull technology (nothing new here) made most of the difference in what speeds the vee hulls advanced to...power didn't matter that much until the steps reduced the friction enough to take full advantage of big power. Technology marches on.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
So it looks like in summary that 60~65 was the consistent, strong number that had to be maintained to be competitive. Seems that was attained by 24'~26' vee hulls running twin SBC's and 30'+ vee hulls running twin BBC's.

It's interesting to note that what were Offshore Racing speeds 30 years ago is pretty much a "cruising" speed for most high performance factory boats today.

It appears that the use of step hull technology (nothing new here) made most of the difference in what speeds the vee hulls advanced to...power didn't matter that much until the steps reduced the friction enough to take full advantage of big power. Technology marches on.
I am one who believes that steps contributed very little other than to increase the number of spinouts in turns for monohulls. There is a speed increase with steps when the hull is at a speed that wets the bottom over 1/3rd of its length. Once a hull is on the tail or up on a pad...the steps are basically out of the water...sitting patiently waiting for you to turn the wheel and "aerate" the ass end.... That's when the fun begins.

IMHO the speed increases for monohulls since the 70's have been primarily due to prop design, raised "x" dimensions, horsepower, dry sumped transmissions and outdrives, more knowledge of hull balancing, and lighter composites in the construction techniques.

Last edited by T2x; 05-07-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I am one who believes that steps contributed very little other than to increase the number of spinouts in turns for monohulls. There is a speed increase with steps when the hull is at a speed that wets the bottom over 1/3rd of its length. once a hull is on the tail or up on a pad...the steps are basically out of the water...sitting patiently waiting for you to turn the wheel and "aerate" the ass end.... That's when the fun begins.

IMHO the speed increases for monohulls since the 70's have been primarily due to prop design, raised "x" dimensions, horsepower, dry sumped transmissions and outdrives, more knowledge of hull balancing, and lighter composites in the construction techniques.

I second that from first hand experience...MORE THAN ONCE!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very intresting seeing those speeds!!
Brett
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered

It wasn't about the speed, it was who could last 4-5 hours in 5-7 foot seas and get totally beat to hell !! That's when it was called Offhore Racing and not what it is today. I remember racing in Pt. Pleasant and you would have 100,000 people lined up watching on the jetty and the beach, as we came out. I am so greatful that I was part of Offshore Racing when it was offshore!! I remember going near a boat in the swells and once we got back the other boat said the only thing we saw was the bottom of your boat. I was so glad to have raced with so many legends that were down to earth and everyone was treated the same ,no matter what class you raced in. Don, Betty, Bill E, Billy M, Rocky, Paul C,Joel H,Bill W, and the list goes on would talk to anyone about the great sport we were all part of.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stan Pike
It wasn't about the speed, it was who could last 4-5 hours in 5-7 foot seas and get totally beat to hell !! That's when it was called Offhore Racing and not what it is today. I remember racing in Pt. Pleasant and you would have 100,000 people lined up watching on the jetty and the beach, as we came out. I am so greatful that I was part of Offshore Racing when it was offshore!! I remember going near a boat in the swells and once we got back the other boat said the only thing we saw was the bottom of your boat. I was so glad to have raced with so many legends that were down to earth and everyone was treated the same ,no matter what class you raced in. Don, Betty, Bill E, Billy M, Rocky, Paul C,Joel H,Bill W, and the list goes on would talk to anyone about the great sport we were all part of.
A- man , sonny miller
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan Pike
I remember a few trips coming back from West End in my old Formula 272 LS...getting caught in a summer squall in the 'stream with 5'~7' footers breaking everywhere...barely able to stay on a plane without destroying my back and legs. I remember thinking that "this is only a taste, just a peak at what those guys that race in this $hit deal with". When you watch the old "hard core" videos of Offshore Powerboat Racing you realize that this is a sport for nobody but "Grown Ass Men"

Last edited by sprink58; 05-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Outdrives changed everything. Going from inboard boats to having an X dem where you want, adding trim (which also gave you all kinds of prop selections), motor placement in the hull (boat's balance can be changed in all kinds of ways), and being able to go 2 motors to 3 or even 4 motors and the list goes on and on. Outdrives changed the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.