Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
KL2's 1984 Chris Craft Stinger >

KL2's 1984 Chris Craft Stinger

Notices

KL2's 1984 Chris Craft Stinger

Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i didn't realize sam's boat was a factory finish. i thought somebody painted stinger on the side of a 230 scorpion. which it in fact is. but if chris craft called it a stinger for a year then it is a stinger. i had 2 mid 80's 230 scorpions. same boat. one alpha, one OMC cobra. both saw right around 50 (on wishometer) when i was only one aboard in flat water.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
I cant believe you and sam have almost identical stingers! I like the arch!
Yeah, when I get mine finished, I see a Stinger raft-up in the future!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
KL2
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
Yeah, when I get mine finished, I see a Stinger raft-up in the future!
I'm on the Great Lakes, I don't think I'd ever put it in salt water. Too many stories of destruction. If you get yours finished, we could have a stinger/boat thing at Seneca Lake.

I'm interested in seeing your progress on yours. I think that you will learn a great deal about the inner workings on it.

It's pretty neat to see one just like mine, with the exception of the windlass.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets get back to the spark plugs... If your piston is hittin the plug something is really wrong, either you have some serious Domed high compression pistons or the wrong plugs (I'd guess the latter) if it hit hard enough to damage the ceramic you need to inspect the top of the piston. A valve guide adjustment isn't going to cure that.....Let us know what you find....
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KL2
I'm on the Great Lakes, I don't think I'd ever put it in salt water. Too many stories of destruction. If you get yours finished, we could have a stinger/boat thing at Seneca Lake.

I'm interested in seeing your progress on yours. I think that you will learn a great deal about the inner workings on it.

It's pretty neat to see one just like mine, with the exception of the windlass.
Of course, I wouldn't mind pulling it up for a weekend.
Just check in on my thread from time to time....I am a busy kid, so I dont always have time to come and make a whole update, but when I get the time, I will.
Have you taken any more pictures? Would love to see some cabin/engine room pictures.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered

Looks good KL2, I'm with PowerQuest I like the arch on that hull... Keep the pics flowing and thanks for starting this thread.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 PM
KL2
Registered

Nope, no more pictures yet. It's raining today. I'm not going to uncover it. It's supposed to be warmer after Wednesday and not raining. I'll open it up again on Wednesday and get into the engine a little.

The spark plug thing, it was a fresh rebuild on the top end, so I really think it's just the wrong plugs, and/or valve guide adjustment. I'm going to take a look at the top of the cylinder and see what's going on there. If the piston came up and slapped the plug, I'd assume the bottom would be crushed a little. The gap is intact. I'm convinced that the ngk bf-6 (I don't recall the entire part number) is too hot and too long. I'm going to do a compression test on it as well, just to check things out and get a baseline.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

If you have pics in Photobucket you just click on img code and it automatically copies it and you paste it into the forum. Super easy!

Nik
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
KL2
Registered

Well the rain finally stopped so I got a chance to go outside and take some pictures. Thanks Nik for getting the photos up. I am new to photo bucket, so I wasn't sure on how to link it properly. I have to learn because I took a lot more photos today.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
KL2
Registered

I'm not sure if this is how you do it..

guess not

Try 2..

http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s446/KL2222/

Last edited by KL2; 05-16-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: picture link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.